Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Upgrading binos

Upgrading binos

After feedback from owners or past users of leica geovid binos...

Heres where I'm at..
    I bought a pair of $699 Minox binos almost 2 years ago and they have been great value for money, and are still in almost new condition... over the past year or so i upgraded 2 of my scopes to Zeiss HD5's which have been excellent improvements in the field... so a few months ago i though id upgrade from my minox binos to some ziess conquest hd binos, however spending 20 mins with them outside the shop along side my minox.. i was really struggling to find the $1200 difference in performance.. it was so close in clarity and light that i just couldn't see parting with $1900 for them.... moving forward to now and I'm back at the point where i can (if i wish to part with a chunk of change) afford to invest in upgraded glass, and am on the verge of snapping up some of the newer model Leica Geovid HD-R's or HD-B's .. now its going to cost me between 3-3.5 k through ways i have to purchase.. , from what i can see they both range to 1800yd and have angle compensation function but the $400 difference adds a inbuilt ballistic calculator/temp/atmospheric sensors with an sd card upload option and takes the angle compensation from 600yd all the way to 1800yd.

what have peoples experiences with geovids been? are they worth it? anyone have the hd-b and find it a $400 feature they use or could go without for $400?
    I've looked through some and can see they are clearer and brighter but don't know how much this will realy earn themselves in the field...
    advice and observations please!!!! as its a lot of money.
    Cheers

I've got the new Geovid R's, great binos - I took a buy once cry once attitude to the purchase.
    Comparing binos is hard, there are different coatings and different gas fillings that change how an image is presented to the user - which one looks better/natural/sharper can only be decided by the owner of the eyeballs.

Lower end binos have come a long way but saying that a $500 bino set are almost as good as a Leica/Swaro is like comparing a Corolla to a HSV for the sole purpose of going down to the dairy to pick up a bottle of milk.

Last light/end of day is where you will notice the biggest difference, In saying that unless your vision is 20/20 you might never tell the difference between the two.
    veitnamcam, mikee and BRADS like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmay View Post
    I've got the new Geovid R's, great binos - I took a buy once cry once attitude to the purchase.
    Comparing binos is hard, there are different coatings and different gas fillings that change how an image is presented to the user - which one looks better/natural/sharper can only be decided by the owner of the eyeballs.

Lower end binos have come a long way but saying that a $500 bino set are almost as good as a Leica/Swaro is like comparing a Corolla to a HSV for the sole purpose of going down to the dairy to pick up a bottle of milk.

Last light/end of day is where you will notice the biggest difference, In saying that unless your vision is 20/20 you might never tell the difference between the two.
    so your have type 403? model40054?

https://www.jacobsdigital.co.nz/coll...eters-or-yards

Paid a bit more at the start of the year though.

https://www.jacobsdigital.co.nz/coll...eters-or-yards

Paid a bit more at the start of the year though.
    great, your advice helps me feel better about the upgrade expense

as for the ones in that link (geovid-R) they replaced the "geovid hd" after they introduced the "hd-b".. they also dropped the HD from the "geovid-R" in those models from what i can tell, and then in the last year they again replaced the "geovid-R" with
    the "geovid hd-R" utilising the new prism and form factor of the "geovid hd-b".

From my understanding the HD-B (the two skinny tubes) have a different prism type.
    The HD-R -> R is the removal of the hydrophobic coating and addition of the ballistic calculator to 550m (caveat: there are a few funny versions floating around) I don't see a need for the temp/barro/angle comp of the HD-B as my Smart phone does all that wiz bang stuff and with work I get a new one every few years (see: upgraded) so no point worrying about it in a pair of binos.

I took a buy once cry once attitude to the purchase.
    Something to be said for that. At least, that's what I tell the wife.

If there is only $400 difference get the HDBs, the programmable ballistic programme is mint out to 1000 yard.

Do leica provide any kind of warranty on the electronics part of the binos and is the software able to be updated/hardware upgraded?? I personally couldn't bring myself to spend that sort of money on something that's going to be outdated pretty rapidly if theres no way around that? Even if the rangefinder stopped working 15 or twenty years down the track, you would still have a decent set of binos, but I cant stand having something that doesn't function how its supposed to even if I don't need those functions.
    tetawa, mikee and northdude like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Do leica provide any kind of warranty on the electronics part of the binos and is the software able to be updated/hardware upgraded?? I personally couldn't bring myself to spend that sort of money on something that's going to be outdated pretty rapidly if theres no way around that? Even if the rangefinder stopped working 15 or twenty years down the track, you would still have a decent set of binos, but I cant stand having something that doesn't function how its supposed to even if I don't need those functions.
    Which is exactly why I didn't buy a combined unit
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

how can a customizable projectile path become outdated? , are they going to reinvent bullets soon? Will the ballistic curve suddenly require a new factor?
    Should I just sell my guns now incase they do?
    And while I'm at it - should I buy carburetor cars from Now one because fuel management systems become outdated.
    Haha

Just kidding ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by chchben View Post
    how can a customizable projectile path become outdated? , are they going to reinvent bullets soon? Will the ballistic curve suddenly require a new factor?
    And while I'm at it - should I buy carburetor cars from Now one because fuel management systems become outdated.
    Haha

Just kidding ;-)
    I think @Ryan_Songhurst was meaning if the electronics fail and can no longer be repaired (yes it happens often)
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by chchben View Post
    Haha

Just kidding ;-)
    I think @Ryan_Songhurst was meaning if the electronics fail and can no longer be repaired (yes it happens often)

Same electronic failure goes for an equivalent range finder which would cost 3x the $400 price difference of having it inbuilt

And if the electronics fail outside of the 5 year warranty they would still be good binos
    ARdave likes this.