Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Victory Knives

Victory Knives

Any one run a victory for a all round hunting knife
    Do they hold there edge? and are they easy to keep sharp with the flick of a diamond sharpner.
    just looking at a short blade knife like the drop point or rabbiter

MSL
    I still have a few from the freezing works, used them for quite a while. Quite easy to get sharp, but don’t hold the edge for as long as the harder steels obviously

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ebf
    ^ this

soft steel = super easy to sharpen, but poor edge retention
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

I’ve got a drop point, can get a wicked edge on it without too much fuss but as stated above fairly soft so requires regular touch ups while dressing animals. Use it as camp knife now

MSL
    Which is why they are perfect for the works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

�� I also have boning knife that I use at home for skinning/breaking down carcass’s and a few licks on a smooth steel when the edge starts to dull brings it straight back. I’d recommend as bang for buck

Must be a step up from a bahco??

yes AND no.... the bacho is a great knife with super safe sheath.... Ive tried a few victory knives but blade shape wasnt quite right for me.... the steel was problomatic for me to stone,not sure why but its been the one type of knife I just couldnt get sharp the way I liked them...sharp enough to put both the wife (cut fingers) and myself (believe it or not cut across big toe when dropped knife and it fell over on foot) into A&E for stitches...just didnt hold the edge as well as I like....
    Hunteast likes this.

Have a bicker than seems similar, has had 20years of solid use and still going strong, also have a vitronox that would be 5+ years.

Just a nice simple knife, brought a new bicker 5 years ago to replace it, turns out I have lost an easy 1/2" of length and a fair bit of belly over 20years

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    Any one run a victory for a all round hunting knife
    Do they hold there edge? and are they easy to keep sharp with the flick of a diamond sharpner.
    just looking at a short blade knife like the drop point or rabbiter
    If you run somthing like the rabbiter with a steel or strop or wee diamond field sharpener they will do a deer well enough.

For the $$ they are good enough I use one of their boning knives for at home processing but prefer somthing harder for dealing with a deer in the field.

Whats a knife a little better then a Victory,another step up.
    i think gerber are rubbish and wouldn't buy a sword

green river bushmans friend.....or the knifekut equivilent they just work for me,easy to sharpen,easy to keep sharp and the blade shape is perfect for me.wont break the bank either.

After having used both Victory and Victorinox as a butcher there's really no difference between the two except price. Modern Victorinox knives aren't the same as they were 30+ years ago. A sharp Victory boner will do a full morning (4-hours) of beef boning before needing a quick touch up (10-mins on the stone) before another 4 hours of mixed boning (sheep/pork/chicken etc).

A full morning of beef boning (which is way harder on a knife than venison) is more than anyone will ever do on a hunting trip. So save the money and buy a Victory and use the hundreds of dollars you've saved for gas to go hunting! I love knives but all I use for hunting is a shitty old Buffalo River drop point. Holds an edge fine for hunting. I have just bought a Victory drop point hunter ($25) because I prefer a smaller knife, and prefer the shape to the Buffalo.
    bazz61, Nick-D, Micky Duck and 4 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bumblefoot View Post
    After having used both Victory and Victorinox as a butcher there's really no difference between the two except price. Modern Victorinox knives aren't the same as they were 30+ years ago. A sharp Victory boner will do a full morning (4-hours) of beef boning before needing a quick touch up (10-mins on the stone) before another 4 hours of mixed boning (sheep/pork/chicken etc).

A full morning of beef boning (which is way harder on a knife than venison) is more than anyone will ever do on a hunting trip. So save the money and buy a Victory and use the hundreds of dollars you've saved for gas to go hunting! I love knives but all I use for hunting is a shitty old Buffalo River drop point. Holds an edge fine for hunting. I have just bought a Victory drop point hunter ($25) because I prefer a smaller knife, and prefer the shape to the Buffalo.
    Agree, but will point out, hocking skinning and processing in field situations are definately much more abrasive on and edge then controlled cutting in a butchery, especially with less. Efficient cutters such as myself scraping bones etc along the way.

I can get through a deer OK with my victory and a strop or steel halfway, but the edge wants a touch up after for sure. My current rwl 34 will go through 2 deer without a touch up under the same shitty butcher conditions
    bigbear likes this.