Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree11Likes
  • 2 Post By Marty Henry
  • 2 Post By Ryan_Songhurst
  • 1 Post By yerimaginaryM8
  • 1 Post By Tombi
  • 1 Post By Tombi
  • 1 Post By MassiveAttack
  • 1 Post By madjon_
  • 1 Post By oraki

Thread: Waterproof work/hunting/duck shooting coat

Waterproof work/hunting/duck shooting coat

Righto, I'm looking at replacing my old coat that the seamsealing is coming off.
    Needs to be something that can take abuse on the farm, 100% waterproof and breathable. Something along the lines of Line7, Kaweka etc. all the flyers that come out have been put away somewhere safe and short of running around comparing I'm sort of stuck. Swazi gear did cross my mind, but can't stretch that far.
    Tried searching, but it's hard to scroll through it all on the phone
    What do you use and abuse, and it keeps coming back for more

Have used techniflex stuff for years, best specific waterproof stuff at reasonable cost. Got one of their iso coats in October but theres not been enough rain since to give it a really good test. Its nice and comfortable and don't seem to suck up water but its a bit heavier that im used to and a little noisier. Hope that helps
    tetawa and oraki like this.

Line 7 glacier (normal weight one, don't get the lightweight one they are crap) I have thrashed this for two seasons now and no signs of giving up, 100% waterproof and breathes pretty good too.

Name:  IMG_20170112_223941.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  693.0 KB
    Gibo and oraki like this.

you used to be able to buy camo fabric coated PVC coats stoney creek (I think) used to do one called a duck coat. They were a good cheap bashproof jacket of a good length, they were not shiny like normal PVC due to the fabric coating (vinyl coated polyester). The american company Hodgeman also used to produce camo gear in this fabric. The trouble is now all coats are made out of some fancy breathable membrane stuff with some hyperbullshit techy name and most of the cheap stuff is crap, and locally marketed cheap shit starts at around 200 bucks. You could hang the fabric coated PVC stuff on the fence and hit it with the water blaster, sure you might get a bit sweaty under it but it was actually waterproof. I have googled looking for something like this a while back but failed to find anything. The other option, those super cheap PVC rain suits are just PVC and in the interest of mobility I guess are lightweight and soft and do not hold up to the bash. When it gets wet that shit shines and so is useless for the ducks. Also the yanks generally design coats that are too short they don't go down over your arse so you end up with a wet arse.

If anyone knows of a source of a good cheap non shiny coated PVC camo coat of a decent length please post up a link.
    Last edited by yerimaginaryM8; 13-01-2017 at 08:15 AM.
    oraki likes this.

You could get a Bushbuck coat, Not quite the same quility as Swazi but the bush shirt thing I've got is pretty robust
    oraki likes this.

I stumped up for a Swazi anorak, I justified the price as it should lasts 10 years, that is 60 bucks a year for a top notch (if a little heavy) jacket and they'll re-waterproof it for $8 if you drop it in at the factory
    oraki likes this.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Have used techniflex stuff for years, best specific waterproof stuff at reasonable cost. Got one of their iso coats in October but theres not been enough rain since to give it a really good test. Its nice and comfortable and don't seem to suck up water but its a bit heavier that im used to and a little noisier. Hope that helps
    I have the same coat and rate it. The stretch built into the material helps you move around in it.
    oraki likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tombi View Post
    I stumped up for a Swazi anorak, I justified the price as it should lasts 10 years, that is 60 bucks a year for a top notch (if a little heavy) jacket and they'll re-waterproof it for $8 if you drop it in at the factory
    When you put it like that, it does make it cheap. More homework required I think.
    Talking to a fella before and he had BackRoad. Lives in his leggings 4hrs every day milking, they were 18months old, and only just started leaking. He rated the jacket as well.
    At this stage I'm going towards Line7 and Swazi at a pinch
    I've got Techniflex leggings and end up as wet in as out. But they are good as far as tearing/ holes etc

Quote Originally Posted by oraki View Post
    When you put it like that, it does make it cheap. More homework required I think.
    Talking to a fella before and he had BackRoad. Lives in his leggings 4hrs every day milking, they were 18months old, and only just started leaking. He rated the jacket as well.
    At this stage I'm going towards Line7 and Swazi at a pinch
    And here's me thinking you were issued a perfectly good wet weather coat.Or is working in the rain a health and safety issue now.
    oraki likes this.
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out

Quote Originally Posted by madjon_ View Post
    And here's me thinking you were issued a perfectly good wet weather coat.Or is working in the rain a health and safety issue now.
    Ours have cotton wool lining to make us safe. Just not as neutral in colour as I'm after.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  578.0 KB
    I'm pretty good at sneaking in unnoticed, but dogs balls spring to mind
    The stripes will unpick ok, but will make the birds flare away
    Last edited by oraki; 13-01-2017 at 11:58 AM.
    madjon_ likes this.