Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Wet Weather Gear

Wet Weather Gear

Im after some wet weather gear. I have some cheap stuff at the moment. It is waterproof but it does not breath at all and you end up sweating like mad and your clothes underneath normally end up just as wet as if you didnt have anything on. I dont want to spend hundreds of dollars on pants and a coat. is there another option? I do a lot of tramping and this time of year there is a lot of rain so i need something to keep me dry.

army surplus goretex is prob the cheapest option very noisy if hunting in it though. only other option if you dont want to spend hundreds is dont go out when it rains, you get what you pay for with outdoor gear

The Kuiu teton gear is prob about as cheap as you will find good quality gear

Jacket
    Teton Rain Jacket - Waterproof Hunting Jackets & Gear | KUIU

Pants
    Teton Rain Pant - Waterproof, Lightweight Hunting Pants | KUIU

I have a lot of there other gear and its great i see no reason why there "Budget" line would perform

I have a swazi "breathable" one tough mutha, and some ridgeline seam sealed stuff breathable ha! sweat like a pig in it, best ive found is the techniflex raingear off the farm, though to be honest the leggings do puncture easily but you can get a diy repair kit

Something I would reccomend if you want something that is absolutely 100% waterproof and breathable would be to look outside what is normally considered "hunting brands". I have a Line7 glacier Jacket that I use as my everyday wet weather jacket on the farm and its unstoppable, I got my first one three years ago when they first came out and we were asked to trial them for PGG Wrightson, have just replaced it only last week for a new one, the gear gets a real thrashing on farm and has always been 100% weatherproof, my old one isnt actually wrecked yet either.
    Quest likes this.

If you aren't prepared for quality, you won't get it.

Although they are quite warm/heavy, I've found my Bushbuck Big 4 to be a good balance of quality vs affordability. Unsure of price now but the first ones were about $200.

If they came in a size that fit me, I would buy a Hunters Element XTR jacket in a heartbeat and just pray that I got a good zip.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Ejected
    I have never found anything thats breathable enough to keep up with the amount I sweat while walking up a hill. On that basis I gave up on the whole concept and brought the jacket and pants of these from CRT\Farmlands

Betacraft Clothing - Shop - Techniflex

It's lighter than my old jacket and no seams so can be washed in the washing machine. It has some stretch in it which helps to prevent tears. The only down side is that the jacket is not 3/4 length so you either have to take the pants or have a wet arse.

If you look at people who work in bad weather like fishermen and dairy farmers they don't wear goretex, they wear this sort of thing.

Mate of mine farms on Rainbow Station and he swears by Stoney Creek Pioneer pants and jacket, he uses them for pig hunting and pushing through gorse so pretty rough on them. They jacket's $320 down from $400 at Farmlands at the moment, I'm going to get them unless anyone advises against?

Quote Originally Posted by MassiveAttack View Post
    I have never found anything thats breathable enough to keep up with the amount I sweat while walking up a hill. On that basis I gave up on the whole concept and brought the jacket and pants of these from CRT\Farmlands

If you look at people who work in bad weather like fishermen and dairy farmers they don't wear goretex, they wear this sort of thing.
    Maybe ten years ago we did but the amount of good quality breathable wet weather gear on offer now I dont know anyone still running that sort of stuff, we went to the Line7 stuff even for our staff as even though its a lot more expensive they get twice as long out of it and are more willing to use it.

All though I agree, there's no way you're getting wet in that sort of stuff, unless you sweat in it.

As a Sharemilker I seem to spend a majority of my time in the weather especially lately , iv tried all sorts of wet weathers but the best bang for buck is the Farmlands brand BACKROAD https://farmlands.co.nz/Online-Shop/.../Jacket-Fjord/
    and leggings they are on special for 230 for a set of jacket and leggings. They are cut right, I get a season out of them , are waterproof and warm , don't look gay , don't have zip up this and that bullshit , are good value and have good back up.

The toughest wet weather hands down is the kaiwaka stormforce range.
    Quest likes this.
    TIKKA 595 7mm08 for the deer 12 gauge for everything else!

Have been trialling a light weight thin outshell lately, packs up to nothing. Always seem to sweat so this stays in pack for round camp, think it is a cycling one can't remember brand or anything

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by von tempsky fan View Post
    As a Sharemilker I seem to spend a majority of my time in the weather especially lately , iv tried all sorts of wet weathers but the best bang for buck is the Farmlands brand BACKROAD https://farmlands.co.nz/Online-Shop/.../Jacket-Fjord/
    and leggings they are on special for 230 for a set of jacket and leggings. They are cut right, I get a season out of them , are waterproof and warm , don't look gay , don't have zip up this and that bullshit , are good value and have good back up.
    Is the Fjord jacket 3/4 length and any idea how much one weighs? Always keen to get better gear.

Quote Originally Posted by MassiveAttack View Post
    Is the Fjord jacket 3/4 length and any idea how much one weighs? Always keen to get better gear.
    Its longer than the Kaiwaka I had before it , I'm the same as you all manufacturers should make their jackets longer but it's still a good length , I brought my staff a set each and they really rate it. Its pretty lightweight especially after I get around to throwing it in the washing machine with some sport wash.