Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: What Jacket next?

Unhappy What Jacket next?

I'm a bit stuck as to what jacket to try next. I seem to have super bad luck with rain coats / hunting jackets.

I've got an Hunters Element XTR jacket and I had a top of the line Ridgeline jacket prior to that (Can't remember the model, but it was the highest spec they made). The Ridgeline didn't get much use (Worn 3 times walking around, not bush bashing) and it had a massive failure, Ridgeline reimbursed me immediately, which means I'll buy their products in the future. It seemed really comfortable and felt robust (think I just got unlucky).

My XTR however is a real disappointment, only worn about 7-8 times, 2-3 times very light use. I bought it because I wanted a really top notch jacket that'd do what the manufacturer said it would, so didn't mind spending a bit. Last hunting trip in moderately wet, but cold conditions it proved to be a total liability (wouldn't feel safe wearing it again). Issues with this jacket are: It doesn't breathe (at all) not even when fully open (Front zip and heat dumps under arm-pits), takes ages to dry (which means once it's wet, you'll stay wet) Doesn't keep wind off, or keep you comfortable, even in moderate conditions (let alone extreme conditions) NOTE- I do not consider feeling wet/damp and freezing cold to be comfortable, the shell does not repel water. My main problem with it is that it gets wet quickly and then acts like a massive heat exchange. I dried this jacket in a hut and then put it back on whilst I made camp that night, within minutes of putting it on (In cold conditions) I felt cold and clammy, I took it of again and felt noticeable warmer and drier within minutes. It seems it would be a liability if you were relying on it (Increase chances of Hypothermia).

I Will be taking it back to see if it has a fault. Will hopefully get my money back, as they're supposed to have a 2 year warrantee.

So, What next? Stoney Creek seems like the obvious choice...BUT. None of these jackets is packable, unless you strap it to the outside of your pack, OR you're carrying a massive pack. If I don't buy a hi-tech 'Breatheable' jacket, the cost will be considerably less than half and I can get a very light packable jacket, AND so far none of these 'breathable' jackets have been breathable, more like expensive plastic bags. Also when-ever you queerie the waterproof qualities of a jacket, all the shop assistants jump on the "have you washed it" band wagon. My mates got an old vortex jacket that's 20yrs old, never washed, and generally abused and it's perfectly waterproof. ???

So I'm looking for a jacket that is warm, tough, actually waterproof, AND not made out of grandmother's finest antique china.

Any reasonable suggestions would be massively appreciated.

I'll keep you all appraised of what the deal is with my XTR and whether they honour their warrantee.

Otherwise it's a Warehouse raincoat for me (can't be worse than what I've had so far.)

I have a Swazi tahr anorak not had it tested hunting but stood up to some real wet and cold days at work and watching footy also a wind proof one in camo

A
    A Swazi tahr anorak mine kept. Me dry in some shit weather
    Happy and Boulderman like this.

One word. Goretex
    Boulderman likes this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

I have a Swazi Wapiti in Goretex and despite the fabric appearing to 'wet out', which can make it a bit heavier, it keeps me dry and super cosy. Spendy though.

Also have an ex-Army camo Goretex jacket which was dirt cheap. The fabric is hard as nails and has proven user-friendly so far. Like the Swazi though, it's fairly bulky and heavy. A bit noisier in the bush too.

I guess it's always a compromise of sorts when buying such items, durability vs weight, etc. Those lightweight technotronic ones just don't seem to stand up to the harder yards.

Confused? Good!
    300CALMAN likes this.

K95
    Ridgeline is fucking rubbish, Stoney creek is rubbish and hunters element is rubbish. Selling you back up service instead of a good product is not good. Don't kid yourself you're the only one who's gear from them has failed.

Swazi tahr is waterproof but too hot for anything more than dawdling along at snail pace.

If you want breathable, look at jackets extremely active outdoors people use. Like climbers. They have similar interests to us, lightweight, packable, waterproof, tough.

You will need to spend a reasonable amount of money for a good jacket. Remember that it's hunting, sometimes you will get wet tired and cold. No amount of money spent on gear will help that sometimes.
    Arcteryx, WildThings, Kuiu, Sitka, etc etc.
    "Treat the Earth well. It was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children.”

Arc'teryx Alpha LT. Don't pay retail price, lots of deals to be had.

Quote Originally Posted by K95 View Post
    Ridgeline is fucking rubbish, Stoney creek is rubbish and hunters element is rubbish. Selling you back up service instead of a good product is not good. Don't kid yourself you're the only one who's gear from them has failed.

Swazi tahr is waterproof but too hot for anything more than dawdling along at snail pace.

If you want breathable, look at jackets extremely active outdoors people use. Like climbers. They have similar interests to us, lightweight, packable, waterproof, tough.

You will need to spend a reasonable amount of money for a good jacket. Remember that it's hunting, sometimes you will get wet tired and cold. No amount of money spent on gear will help that sometimes.
    Arcteryx, WildThings, Kuiu, Sitka, etc etc.
    Bang on.

Yeah it seems there is no prefect answer. I also use an ex army Goretex for winter, heavy and noisy but if it rains it mostly keeps you dry. I have some "fucking rubbish" for ripping up in the scrub and keeping me covered during milder weather. I would probably destroy one of thoes expensive jackets too quickly. I remember using my NZDF swandry a lot in Waioru, warm and good for blocking but wind it got heavy when whet but is probably bullet resistant. Made a good pillow also.

Ive had every jacket you have talked about and had the same experiences. Even duck shooting in my XTR is a cold situation and I would never take it into the hills. the Stoney creek felt fragile, tore easily and stitching looked like a 2 year old had a go.
    I now have a Swazi tahr xp and have never looked back. Yes it is heavier than others and will be warmer on the climb, but when shit hits the fan I wouldn't want any other.
    Even my top of the line Gortex macpac jacket fails miserably by comparison.
    I now layer differently if it is going to rain (light singlet and a wind proof/water RESISTANT top with the swazi strapped to the pack) That way Im not too hot on the climb, yet have the Swazi for the serious stuff
    Dougie and actstuntcam like this.

K95
    Quote Originally Posted by Koshogi View Post
    Arc'teryx Alpha LT. Don't pay retail price, lots of deals to be had.
    What is the deal with arcteryx leaf gear? They make a parka that's thigh length.
    "Treat the Earth well. It was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children.”

Yes I have found that none of the jackets live up the hype. Thats why I now hunt in just a water repellant insulated jacket for warmth and if it turns nasty I use one of those 100% waterproof rain jackets that fold up into thier own pocket...warm AND dry.
    7mmsaum, Brian, heinnz and 1 others like this.

Some great replies here, keep em coming. Seems like the ground swell is against hunting jackets. Wish I'd known. Seems like there are a few different approaches, and I just need to figure which will work best for me. I wouldn't mind a water resistant, warm vest with lots of pockets. Then maybe a light waterproof raincoat for over the top when the weather gets filthy. Going back to the shop tomorrow, so will keep everyone appraised. I'm sure they'll want to send it away for testing before any discussion on a refund.

Cheers Cam

Decisions heh, well like kudu says a fold up totally waterproof but not breathable one for when it's raining cats and dogs and a swandri for most other stuff is a good combo, remember pure 100% wool will retain 80% of its insulating properties even when wet.

I do have an old Macpac alpine jacket that is fantastic for when it's hosing and or ice or snowy but don't think they make em like that anymore, cactus make some extreme alpine jackets though that could do the trick...
    heinnz likes this.

I use my mountaineering Arc'teryx for tops, not camo though, dont do a lot of 'tops hunting' so its not an issue........

have a British NATO goretex camo jacket for downpours!!!!! and a cheapie ridgeline for the bush as its made from that 'non rustle' fabric......

Really depends on the hunting you do....would not go 'Alpine' in either of the the bottom two......
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Absolutely love my Bush Buck jacket, takes up half my pikau but it's long and waterproof and quiet still. Warm to a point but not too hot if wanting to walk with it still on. Pit zips do wonders.

I lived in that jacket when I was in Wellington.

Warm wise, that Bush Buck and my Mac PAC down hooded vest is unbeatable for cosey factor. It's New Zealand, layer up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2gnscib likes this.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt