Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: What tool to cut corrugated Iron

What tool to cut corrugated Iron

I have some corrugated iron to cut to length and am wondering which options people have used. It is not a big job so whatever I use may be used again but not much if it is only for the job at hand.

I have been looking at nibblers, cutting discs on a 9" grinder, similar discs fitted to a skill saw, Metal cutting blade on the skill saw or power shears and have dismissed the jigsaw.
    Blackridge Air Nibbler - Supercheap Auto

I have never used a nibbler. they look easy but I figure if they were that good surely I would see more of them in use.
    I also looked at a dual saw but while they look like they are the tool for the job, are they gimmicky or even suitable?
    https://www.bunnings.co.nz/ozito-125...tter_p06290499

My grinding is not flash so if I am to use cutting discs I am leaning towards the skill saw option. But how much cut will I get with a disc? I have to cut about 16 sheets so if I will use a lot of discs would it be better to pay the extra and get a diamond blade instead?

The power shears look like they would be the better idea, but they look like they are for flat metal rather than corrugated, and I would never be likely to use them again.

The nibbler looks to be the easiest.

Cheers

Nibblers make a hell of a mess, I'd go the wheel. Are you cutting against the corrogations or with them?
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

I just use a large pair of tinsnips, clean cut. If cutting along the iron scribe it and you can tear it along the scribe

Unless the iron is held firmly and cant vibrate expect to go through a lot of cutting discs. Tinsnips or nibbler do a good job and leave a tidy edge that wont rust but a grinder can burn the zinc back.

Gilbrow tin snips .
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

+1 on the gilbow snips then the nibbler

mkm
    Tin snips work great. Try tearing the iron (if cutting across the corrugations) as you cut it makes the job a bit easier. You can also get specific skillsaw blades that will do the job.

A skillsaw blade in backwards works. Best if you've got an old one without tungsten tips.
    Tuidog and Maca49 like this.

SGR
    Snips or a skily

Gilbow Tin snips ,if used correctly give a better edge , Kind of rolls the edges inwards . Important if edge is going to be exposed . Don't use a grinder the fine swarf that comes off them f&*ks the Iron , will rust .
    kokako and Maca49 like this.
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

nibblers are piece of cake to use....just get the one that takes 3mm section out NOT the one that cuts out little half moons that stick through bike tyres and completely shag you best pairs of crocs!!!!

I just use tin snips, might be called aviation shears or something, mine are Stanley fat max ones but a builder had some really ancient ones that worked way better, just marke a straight line, cut both ends and you can rip it, wear thick leather gloves that you don't care about though...

+1 for tin snips and ripping it with gloves
    40mm likes this.

Tinsnips

I put a roof on our house a year or so ago.

Do they have to be perfectly straight edges? If they're covered ph a flashing or capping then the easiest and quickest way is to snip in a ridge or two then stand in one edge and pull the other edge up, it tears very easily but isn't perfectly straight.

Otherwise tinsnips, I've got an almost new pair of large Gilbows that you can borrow, provided I get them back. Other wise get a red and green handled pair.

I used a bubbler for a while but unless they're angled cuts then they're not needed, hard to cut straight with too.

No experience with power shears. All of the roofers I spoke to either use snips or tear it.