Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree13Likes
  • 3 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By Stocky
  • 2 Post By Tentman
  • 1 Post By silentscope
  • 2 Post By Stag
  • 3 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By sore head stoat

Thread: Who's using 8x binos down south?

Who's using 8x binos down south?

So thinking about new binos and going back to a separate rangefinder and weighing up going to an 8x zoom. Hunting is 90% tops but still often find searching basins the lack of FOV is a pain as is shaking when its cold.

Looking for peoples experiences.

Will be going from Geovid 10x42s to a high end 8x32 or 8x42 probably swaros.

I found the 8x were easier to pick up animals...but the extra zoom/range of 10x outweighs it... but if carting around seperate spotting scope it wouldnt matter...or even the top end on rifle scope.... its a right barstard when you have an animal looking blob 6-7-900 yards away and cant quite make up your mind....we have spent hours watching a brown moving blob trying to decide if need to stalk in,only to have harrier hawk fly off...more magnification would have ruled it out easily.
    Moa Hunter, Stocky and RV1 like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    I found the 8x were easier to pick up animals...but the extra zoom/range of 10x outweighs it... but if carting around seperate spotting scope it wouldnt matter...or even the top end on rifle scope.... its a right barstard when you have an animal looking blob 6-7-900 yards away and cant quite make up your mind....we have spent hours watching a brown moving blob trying to decide if need to stalk in,only to have harrier hawk fly off...more magnification would have ruled it out easily.
    Should add i almost always have a spotter with me too.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Hey @Stocky. I'm a South Island tops hunter too. Moved from Swaro CL mountains in 8x25's to 10x 25's for the extra magnification. Now running the new Swaro 10x42EL Range TA's which are heavy but worth every gram. This setup works nicely for me and I wouldn't go back to 8x now. Having said this, I don't hunt with a spotter so can understand your temptation to run with 8x. Good luck with your decision.

I've got the 8.5x42 El and don't plan on changing them anytime soon, majority of my hunting down here has been tops hence why I purchased a good pair of binos. Don't feel undergunned so to speak and I had compared them against other good brand binos and these felt best to me. If your down this way feel free to hit me up and have a look at them, I'm also up Canterbury a wee bit so can probably suss something out

8x Leica's here, get the power that best suits youf eye scan habit, there is no significant optical advantage between 8x and 10x. Try it with a vari-power scope sometime!
    nor-west and Stocky like this.

8x42 SLC Swaros was my choice when I was looking
    Found the FOV great and the eye relief (I wear glasses) meant all of a sudden glassing was enjoyable.
    I was surprised that in most brands the 10x version is usually lighter than the 8x version.
    I also had a pair CL 8x25 and have been surprised how many times I choose them over the 8x42s unfortunately my son lost them on the tops recently so need to pick up something else.
    Bushnell Forge 10x30s at 388gms are looking seriously good value

i had 8x32s when i first moved down south. the best thing i ever did was buy some 10x42s the sheer amount of ground you can cover with better detail is worth the payoff of smaller field of view at closer ranges. i was recently looking at what 12x binos were available. i dont mind sitting them on a tripod if i have to just to be able to scour those bush edges a bit clearer.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Still have Zeiss Victory 8x32 and swaro EL 10x42. Big difference in weight, majority of hunting the Zeiss are fine but the 10x all day when spotting is tough. Out today and the deer really blend in on the wintered yellow plants and tussocks. Was looking for ears, antlers ect

The 8.5 Swaro maybe a nice compromise.
    Moa Hunter and matagouri like this.

even 10x werent enough today...when nubile young lasses take tops off to let "things" be exposed to the breaze and take photos on mountain top some 8-900 yards away!!!!!!
    possibly just as well ,felt like dirty old man with just a glimpse to confirm what my buddy had told me was truth.......

first time for everything.
    viper, Joe_90 and RV1 like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Old "shakey" hands 8x everytime, young steady hands 10x... I have 8x
    Micky Duck likes this.