Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Tentman
  • 1 Post By 16Tontovarish

Thread: Wool Pants

Wool Pants

I'm slowly trying to replace most of my clothing with non synthetic stuff, I find it breathes better, stinks less and just feels nicer after a few days in the bush.

The big holdup so far has been pants. Shirts, undies, socks no problem but bloody pants! Micklagaard would be the dream but are a bit out of my price range for a while, so anyone have any ideas? I see army and outdoors have old usgi wool pants but beyond that most of what I see are wool suit pants.

army surplus ...I had kakhi ones 35 years ago and they were great,till canned off motorbike on tarseal..... they surely were not" low rider" style,had decent high waistband with adjusters...
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Banned
    Moving up in the world old chap ? Hunting in your tweeds I see ! Harris tweed is what you are after https://www.studiosuits.com/pants/tw...is_tweed_pants
    Buy them from Saint Vincent DePaul or Salvation army shops. $10 bucks a pair.
    Wool pants are not as good as might be hoped and expected, but they do add class especially if you buy a matching jacket ! Try and find a really fine weave
    We used them when we were young and there was nothing else except shorts or jeans

MSL

Wool Pants

Very happy with the micklagaard trousers, far superior to my previous hunting brand wet weather trousers.
    Not really comparable to a traditional wool trouser though, as these are a lot more weatherproof.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Real shame whem mosgeil woolen mills stopped producing saddle tweed trou. Need to use bowyangs in wet hill country but these were best of the best in cool conditions and very hard wearing woolen tight woven trou.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Haha MD & MH - count me as a past wearer of wool suit pants in a past era.

Despite having some of the slenderest male legs about (a very mean early nickname of mine was "starvation on stilts" ) Ive gone back to the old standny of wool long-johns with shorts over the top. Not a good look by any measure but very effective in the widest range of conditions!
    Micky Duck likes this.

@MSL out of interest are those the lined ones? Wondering how scratchy the are on the legs. I run lined stubbies and they are great but feel might get too hot in the pants

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Moving up in the world old chap ? Hunting in your tweeds I see ! Harris tweed is what you are after https://www.studiosuits.com/pants/tw...is_tweed_pants
    Buy them from Saint Vincent DePaul or Salvation army shops. $10 bucks a pair.
    Wool pants are not as good as might be hoped and expected, but they do add class especially if you buy a matching jacket ! Try and find a really fine weave
    We used them when we were young and there was nothing else except shorts or jeans
    Well, I already bring a touch of class to anything I choose to grace with my presence..

I hadn't thought about the sallies, cheers for that.
    As an fyi folks, the weft factory shop in chch has factory seconds of merino tops $20 each
    308 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    Haha MD & MH - count me as a past wearer of wool suit pants in a past era.

Despite having some of the slenderest male legs about (a very mean early nickname of mine was "starvation on stilts" ) Ive gone back to the old standny of wool long-johns with shorts over the top. Not a good look by any measure but very effective in the widest range of conditions!
    I do the same but with polyprop longjohns...postie plus has them at a good price and often in nato green....
    75/15/10 black powder matters

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayden View Post
    @MSL out of interest are those the lined ones? Wondering how scratchy the are on the legs. I run lined stubbies and they are great but feel might get too hot in the pants
    Basic unlined ones. I’d never get a chance to wear the lined ones, as I am reasonably tolerant of the cold, and it doesn’t get that cold round here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to get the fine merino suit pants from op shops, they were mint.

I have the ‘dress’ pants from icebreaker that are ok but the fit is not as flexible as the old suit pants.

Now I have moved to the montane stretch pants about $170 and they are really good, light like the suit pants, and about the same warmth. What is amazing is that I can cross a creek half way up my calve muscles and not get wet feet, also don’t use gaiters.

Rest of my clothing is wool, mainly different weights of icebreaker. TM is perfect for cheap used Icebreaker

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 16Tontovarish View Post
    Well, I already bring a touch of class to anything I choose to grace with my presence..

As an fyi folks, the weft factory shop in chch has factory seconds of merino tops $20 each
    Perhaps regular Tweeds might not be to your tastes then ? Might I suggest an Alfred Dunhill wool and silk blend Blazer

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 16Tontovarish View Post

Perhaps regular Tweeds might not be to your tastes then ? Might I suggest an Alfred Dunhill wool and silk blend Blazer