Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: World's toughest boots

World's toughest boots

Wouldn't it be wonderful if you could afford this level of craftsmanship go into your favorite hunting boots!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyDNDxsqTOE
    7mmwsm, Puffin, Pengy and 4 others like this.

Very impressive!

Definately makes one reconsider when seeing the label saying made in....
    Shearer and imaca like this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

During the 1980's I had some boots made by someone in northland. D-Ring, padded tongue and commando sole. They started from a drawing of my foot that I sent them. They were good in every respect except they were very heavy. Anyone remember the maker or anything about them? The name would ring a bell if I heard it again.

Oh my gosh i really need a pair of boots that fit my feet so perfectly like that, where a mold of the foot is used in creating the boot. The womens boots tend to be too narrow for my foot, and the mens boots too wide. Mad respect for the people who still handcraft shoes like that. It is a dying craft from what ive heard.

Boots are for townies!

Name:  cb3afb4ed87aac454b7914c4320319b9.jpg
Views: 965
Size:  120.0 KB

T.T
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    During the 1980's I had some boots made by someone in northland. D-Ring, padded tongue and commando sole. They started from a drawing of my foot that I sent them. They were good in every respect except they were very heavy. Anyone remember the maker or anything about them? The name would ring a bell if I heard it again.
    Lastrite “hunter” Whangarei. They still make them.
    Tahr, Pengy, Moa Hunter and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    @Tahr As others have said most likely they were boots by the very under rated ,Lastrite Footwear out of Whangarei (although they have moved several times), they use to be the only boot supplier for Pilkington Glass here & in Oz & supplied Rotorua Forrestry back in the heydays of the 70's -80's & used that steady work to support the hunting/tramping boot making side .

I have always believed in supporting GOOD local business's & have worn them for over 40 years as l have wide size 12 ,plates of meat ,that back when l used to compete in Martial Arts l managed to break & stress fracture bones in both my feet & they will not tolerate Euro Trash Girly Man "wide" sizing, particularly with steep country climbing like we do of a lot of while hunting down here in the Alps . After trying all the usual makes l have settled on Crispi's for the last few years ,but happened to mention too the missus l should try another pair of the Lastrites.

So as a complete surprise for the 60th burfday l just had, my Daughters & Missus arranged for 2 pairs Lastrite Boots as presents, (after my sneaky bitch of a missus tricked me into thinking she needed to measure up my feet for a pair of socks she was going to knit me) ,as l still wear on the Farm a 14 yr old pair of their Lastrite Logger boots on their 4th resole ,l wear them while l am chain sawing ie dropping trees,clearing fence lines & loading the truck up with firewood & also daily while l am doing the rounds on the Farm motor bike .

My Farm Boot the 14 yr old Lastrite Loggers, on 4th resole & 200th bloody laces. IMO piss all over the likes of Red Wing etc

Name:  Lastrite Logger Boots Sml.jpg
Views: 930
Size:  43.0 KB

60th Burfday presents pairs

Hunters

Name:  60th Lastrite Hunters Sml.jpg
Views: 920
Size:  87.1 KB

Hunters Commando Screwed Soles

Name:  Lastrite Commando Screwed Soles Sml.jpg
Views: 914
Size:  91.2 KB

Farm Safety Boot

Name:  Lastrite Workman Safety Boots Sml.jpg
Views: 931
Size:  95.0 KB

Here is a link to their site ,boots are custom made to your foot ,they match my Crispi boots for comfort with my wide feet ,l have mentioned /recommended them several times on here over the years especially for anyone with wide feet that needs a proper fit & support a world class Kiwi Business .

https://lastrite.co.nz/
    Tahr, Pengy, short swede and 2 others like this.
    "Fair Winds and Following Seas" - Capt Ron You Glorious Bastard.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. " President Ronald Reagan

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by bunji View Post
    @Tahr As others have said most likely they were boots by the very under rated ,Lastrite Footwear out of Whangarei (although they have moved several times), they use to be the only boot supplier for Pilkington Glass here & in Oz & supplied Rotorua Forrestry back in the heydays of the 70's -80's & used that steady work to support the hunting/tramping boot making side .

I have always believed in supporting GOOD local business's & have worn them for over 40 years as l have wide size 12 ,plates of meat ,that back when l used to compete in Martial Arts l managed to break & stress fracture bones in both my feet & they will not tolerate Euro Trash Girly Man "wide" sizing, particularly with steep country climbing like we do of a lot of while hunting down here in the Alps . After trying all the usual makes l have settled on Crispi's for the last few years ,but happened to mention too the missus l should try another pair of the Lastrites.

So as a complete surprise for the 60th burfday l just had, my Daughters & Missus arranged for 2 pairs Lastrite Boots as presents, (after my sneaky bitch of a missus tricked me into thinking she needed to measure up my feet for a pair of socks she was going to knit me) ,as l still wear on the Farm a 14 yr old pair of their Lastrite Logger boots on their 4th resole ,l wear them while l am chain sawing ie dropping trees,clearing fence lines & loading the truck up with firewood & also daily while l am doing the rounds on the Farm motor bike .

My Farm Boot the 14 yr old Lastrite Loggers, on 4th resole & 200th bloody laces. IMO piss all over the likes of Red Wing etc

Attachment 191315

60th Burfday presents pairs

Hunters

Attachment 191316

Hunters Commando Screwed Soles

Attachment 191317

Farm Safety Boot

Attachment 191318

Here is a link to their site ,boots are custom made to your foot ,they match my Crispi boots for comfort with my wide feet ,l have mentioned /recommended them several times on here over the years especially for anyone with wide feet that needs a proper fit & support a world class Kiwi Business .

https://lastrite.co.nz/
    How are the loggers for weight? Was looking at them online last week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    bunji likes this.

@MSL They are all not light weights ,the construction makes sure of that ,but that is why they last & are comfortable IMO they would all fit into the heavy end of the scale of what latte sippers now call " modern medium-weight" boot range which offer the durability & protection of a pair of runners .

I hunt with mine on our extended hunts in the Alp Tops regularly & the Fiordland is our back yard, l had them on when the pic in my thumbnail was taken, their weight is no problem .

IMO they would be perfect for what you do & offer real protection & value for money with their durability & cheap sole replacement .
    Last edited by bunji; 27-02-2022 at 07:14 PM.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. " President Ronald Reagan

MSL
    Yeah, I think I’ll order a pair. I’ve been wearing my bestard hi tops for the last month milling, and now the rand and front lip of the sole is coming away.

bunji likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    Yeah, I think I’ll order a pair. I’ve been wearing my bestard hi tops for the last month milling, and now the rand and front lip of the sole is coming away.

Give them a Email/ call & talk to them about what you are after ,they are great to deal with & use to have many old specialized patterns to work off ,they just do not advertise them. While l was guiding many of my clients from overseas ordered them after seeing how mine held up ,the old call of the Yank with "GOD DAMN BOY are they the same boots as last trip" ,( they did with me),or me not hobbling about camp at night , like a NYC crack head after a hunt in the high country , was a common selling point .

I will buy you a beer if you do not like them & you can buy me one when you wonder why you had not had a pair years ago ,l have worn most boots over the years & do a lot of miles in them ,IMO they are very similar to my Crispi boots which sell at twice the price ,in walk them through a stream & wear till dry & they just become a second skin .

Contact Link

https://lastrite.co.nz/contact

@MSL This post & talking about the boots stirred up some memories & how long l have worn them ,here is me at 28 in 1989 ,on the PNG /Indonesian Border while living & working over there, with a Rusa l took with the old Dirty Thirty Camp gun, wearing their old pattern pair of Loggers .

Even handled the stinking humidity & constant soaking tropical Monsoons for years, in fact l gave both pairs of Boots l wore over there to our faithful Guides/Workers when we left as thanks, as they were still going strong & they both liked how they put up with conditions climbing the rugged PNG Highlands, while cutting our way through with Machetes .

PNG Rusa ,Loggers in 89

Name:  RED PNG Rusa SMl.jpg
Views: 835
Size:  82.6 KB

Me wearing the Farm Boots in PNG with Indo Soldiers & their Bren at PNG /Indo Border Crossing

Name:  RED PNG Big Gun Little man MSK SML.jpg
Views: 840
Size:  88.8 KB
    Pengy, hotsoup and 40mm like this.

If you want laces that last get venetian blind cord from mitre 10
    bunji likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bunji View Post
    @MSL This post & talking about the boots stirred up some memories & how long l have worn them ,here is me at 28 in 1989 ,on the PNG /Indonesian Border while living & working over there, with a Rusa l took with the old Dirty Thirty Camp gun, wearing their old pattern pair of Loggers .

Even handled the stinking humidity & constant soaking tropical Monsoons for years, in fact l gave both pairs of Boots l wore over there to our faithful Guides/Workers when we left as thanks, as they were still going strong & they both liked how they put up with conditions climbing the rugged PNG Highlands, while cutting our way through with Machetes .

PNG Rusa ,Loggers in 89

Attachment 191328

Me wearing the Farm Boots in PNG with Indo Soldiers & their Bren at PNG /Indo Border Crossing

Attachment 191329
    I think it is about time that you starting writing a book
    Ned and Kopua Cowboy like this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1