Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gadgetman

Thread: Yet another torch thread

Yet another torch thread

hey guys,

Ive spent all night reading through the torch sticky, but not finding the answers i need.

I'm looking for a scope mounted torch for my 17HMR, the flatmate uses a maxtoch m24, which is great for range, but its too bulky to scope mount for me.

whats a good option for the smaller of the lights? wanting to be able to light out to 200m, is this possible or am i dreaming?

cheers in advance for the help.

Flatmate with the M24 checking in
    @gadgetman and @mudgripz are the NZHS torch wizards.

I would still be going for the M24, I used to have the lenser P14 and7 (I think) and wouldn't go near them again.

Quote Originally Posted by screamO View Post
    I would still be going for the M24
    You must have missed the part where he finds the M24 too bulky.

There must be torches that are perfectly capable at ~200m that are smaller (around the size of the P7) but better/cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by screamO View Post
    I would still be going for the M24, I used to have the lenser P14 and7 (I think) and wouldn't go near them again.
    +1

Though I still use a pair of Utrafire 501b's with smooth reflector, aspheric lens and a single mode R2 drop in module. Cheap cheerful and close to the range of a standard M24 but a much narrower beam width. The Maxtoch would still be the best way for most people.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

May i point out that i am a bit of a newbie when it comes to all of this, so all of this you just mentioned, are these mods? or a standard thing?

Kumoe likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

cheers buddy, just bought the bits and peices. for the price i'll give it a shot and see what i think.

it may be that i end up getting the M24, but i wanted to see what else was around

I don't think the 501 will cut the Mustard. I live in Dunedin and have that set up Gadget is talking about so you can trail it if you want, just pm me. Look at the Jacobs a60 on deal extreme, I little better throw than the 501 setup but really you need to go the m24
    Sorry no time to put up a link.

If you want high performance plus good runtimes you may have to adjust your idea of appropriate torch size/weight I think. We designed the M24 to weigh just 270 gms so its very light compared to other high output lights. But it has the big 63mm head to throw the XML2 light a long way, while keeping good beam spread also.

Gadget's favourite the modded 501 gets some distance if you fit it with an aspheric (convex shaped lens) but this throws a very narrow beam - zero flood. Bear in mind two modded 501s matched the hotspot of the first Maxtoch. The latest M24 is beyond them and if M24 is dedomed it is vastly beyond two 501s. And the Jacob A60 is a great wee light but again a pencil beam. M24 does all jobs.

Overseas comments suggest A60s may have gone out of production but this company (don't know if they are good to deal with) might still have some :

Jacob A60 Cree XR-E Q5 310lm 3-Mode 18650 LED Longshot White Light Flashlight-12.59 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com

As mudgripz points out, and I stated too, it is a narrow beam and nowhere near as much light output as the Maxtoch. The lens generally needs the flange around the outside ground down a bit to get it to fit but the bits are easy to put in.

You have to watch gadgetman - the sod has got eyesight like a bloody hawk. Sees things miles away with a 501 when most of us can't see past the truck with it....

Hey mate not really a flashlight guru (torch is a burning stick my boss keeps telling me) but I've found my olight m22x warrior to be a real cracker at those sort of ranges aswell as my 600lm Klarus unsure what model though sorry.