Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: youshop etc

youshop etc

Looking at getting some bino's in from the US, I know that there are a few options youshop and others that will reship does anyone have any recommendations? Also some outfits required a US registered credit card has anyone tried anything like this?
    https://www.entropay.com/prepaid-virtual-visa ?

Cheers In advance

Unless there is a distribution agreement there should not be an issue getting binoculars sent straight to NZ. Cameraland NY or Optics planet should send straight to NZ.

What I have found with YouShop is that they seem to scrutinize the value of the package at custom's way more than a package sent directly from a supplier. Hence, if you are not careful, you will get smacked with import and gst. It is almost like YouShop flag the shipment for customs and they pick it up on the way through.

Also look at B&H for direct shipping. They do optics as well and their shipping is reasonable and very fast.

So B&H is awesome! they sell a really good selection of MRAD scopes

Quote Originally Posted by Tombi View Post
    So B&H is awesome! they sell a really good selection of MRAD scopes
    I have only bought photography gear of them to date but have found the process to be stress free and good value.

@hotbarrels It is a really nice website to use to, good info and good search engine

Who is B&H ? I thought they did cigarettes...(Benson and Hedges...) I am looking for Binos at the moment too.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hotbarrels View Post
    What I have found with YouShop is that they seem to scrutinize the value of the package at custom's way more than a package sent directly from a supplier. Hence, if you are not careful, you will get smacked with import and gst. It is almost like YouShop flag the shipment for customs and they pick it up on the way through.

Also look at B&H for direct shipping. They do optics as well and their shipping is reasonable and very fast.

Don't know how the extra scrutinizing can be the case. To date I have brought in over 30 parcels via YouShop. Virtually all of those parcels have required me to designate a value b4 YouShop would process them. Items purchased in the USA and shipped to a USA address (even a freight forwarder like Youshop) don't usually have a declared value - there is no need. So, unless porkies are told when nominating a value at YouShop there should be no issue at NZ Customs. I have had my moments with YouShop though - long fight over an item that they declared to be dangerous goods/firearms parts. It wasn't and they eventually cleared it for shipping. I don't use them if a supplier has reasonable shipping costs to send direct to NZ - to bloody expensive. I do use them for cases where the seller has free shipping within USA or the seller will not ship to NZ (they don’t deal with aliens). YouShop are super sensitive to anything THEY perceive to be a firearm part, and they have idiots there who obviously are not trained to recognise non firearm parts as such.

In my last shipment via youshop I made two purchases from the same US suppler, shipped independently to youshop so that they each fell below the minimum import value into NZ, thereby not having to pay duty. Shipping into youshop was free. Once they were at youshop I requested that they be combined shipping which gets a discount since they only have to so into their warehouse once to send the two items. In the past, these have then been shipped to NZ separately in their original boxes. They did the same this time, but combined the value of the two packages into one (shipment) and generated I shipping document, which put the value over the import limit. These doc's were attached to only one box. One box arrived no problems, the other was stopped in NZ Custom's and I had to pay duty on the value of both boxes. This amounted to considerably more than what it would have cost to have the two boxes shipped to NZ by the US supplier. In an effort to save NZ$7 in combining the shipment it cost me NZ$150 in duty. Suffice to say I was rather pissed!

Ha ha I think you set yourself up there. I think YouShop actually warns you somewhere in the depths about combining/consolidating parcels combines the values and sets a trap for the unwary. I guess you won’t do that again.

BTY I don't believe NZ Post actually runs the service. I am fairly sure it is a huge international company called OIA Global that provides the service to NZ Post. Oz Post has exactly the same service (called Postmate) from exactly the same address - same format of a number prefixing your name etc. Here is what the Ockers think of it. Australia Post Shopmate Reviews - ProductReview.com.au
    Pretty well sums up what I think of YS after my little "dangerous goods" experience.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Ha ha I think you set yourself up there. I think YouShop actually warns you somewhere in the depths about combining/consolidating parcels combines the values and sets a trap for the unwary. I guess you won’t do that again.

BTY I don't believe NZ Post actually runs the service. I am fairly sure it is a huge international company called OIA Global that provides the service to NZ Post. Oz Post has exactly the same service (called Postmate) from exactly the same address - same format of a number prefixing your name etc. Here is what the Ockers think of it. Australia Post Shopmate Reviews - ProductReview.com.au
    Pretty well sums up what I think of YS after my little "dangerous goods" experience.
    They never used to combine the value in the past as I followed the same process I had used before. They obviously changed their rules. The two packages had hunting knives in them and the numb nuts classified one shipment as a restricted item and wouldn't ship it. Had to go through the hoops to get it released. Won't be using them again.
    zimmer likes this.

@timattalon A place to spend that hard earned money
    B&H Photo Video Digital Cameras, Photography, Camcorders

northdude
    ive tried buying overseas but now I just shop around here I usually get a pretty good deal plus im supporting a fellow kiwi and if a warranty situation arises I don't have to piss around sending shit back overseas
    Steve123 likes this.

Stuff youshop way to expensive now and yes they flag items for customs if over $400 nzd

My last order took 3 weeks to get through them and was under $400nz but youshop flagged it for customs who rung me and I had to send them a copy of invoice & credit card charge to prove it was under $400nz

youshop etc

Got pinged today for gst and customs fees for clothing valued at $320nzd, so much for the $400 threshold. Gonna cost me $135 extra which isn't a huge deal but a pain in the arse. The reason I bought from the states was because I can't get what I wanted here in NZ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    199p likes this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.