Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: 28guage steel shot

28guage steel shot

does anyone know where to get 28guage steel shot

its on the shelf down back on left,just past the unicorn poop and the fairy dust dispensers....
    keep your thread alive ,hopefully SOMEONE will see it somewhere and let you know....or just ask Bunji,he is bound to have a couple of cases under the bench.
    upnorth uplander likes this.

Do you reload ? If you dont use much then consider TSS shot. Its bloody pricey but best performance. I looked an importing but was too expensive worked out about 150 per lb
    Micky Duck likes this.

@mikee no i dont

Quote Originally Posted by upnorth uplander View Post
    @mikee no i dont
    Bugger, sadly no one will import good range of non tox 20ga loads, let alone for the 28. I have a slab left over which I can still use for upland............for now but if a duck flies over I have to just watch!
    Gone back to 20ga for now

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Bugger, sadly no one will import good range of non tox 20ga loads, let alone for the 28. I have a slab left over which I can still use for upland............for now but if a duck flies over I have to just watch!
    Gone back to 20ga for now
    looks like i'll be doing some pigeon shooting on the local maize fields to use up the lead ammo i have
    madjon_, mikee and Sideshow like this.

I would be tempted to try and fill up some cases with steel or buy loaded tungsten 12 gauge and tear it down.
    I just dont get the mentality that disallows the 28 It would have been far more benificial to keep it inclusive, even it if was only in a youth permit ( for ducks ) then new / young shooters would have a better rate of success.
    mikee, Woody and WireWorking like this.

Steel shot is not that pricy to buy. And a cheap reloader like a mec600. Then get a conversion kit. May seem like a expense. But once your setup. It will be easy to reload as you please.

Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    Steel shot is not that pricy to buy. And a cheap reloader like a mec600. Then get a conversion kit. May seem like a expense. But once your setup. It will be easy to reload as you please.
    Its more that with steel shot you have to go up a few shot sizes generally for it to be effective and there is not much in a 28ga shell to start with.
    Which is why a load of TSS shot size 9 is so bloody effective, there is more of it and its denser than lead so it kills well its just eyewateringly expensive.
    tetawa, Woody and Micky Duck like this.

There is bismuth.. You can reload with

Quote Originally Posted by johnd View Post
    I would be tempted to try and fill up some cases with steel or buy loaded tungsten 12 gauge and tear it down.
    I just dont get the mentality that disallows the 28 It would have been far more benificial to keep it inclusive, even it if was only in a youth permit ( for ducks ) then new / young shooters would have a better rate of success.
    DONT DO IT......steel in normal wad will scour the crap out of your barrel...steel wads are hard and thick and cover WHOLE payload.... you NEED proper wads of some sort...maybe ???could cut up .410 cases and use them as extra layer...but payload will suffer...
    mikee likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    DONT DO IT......steel in normal wad will scour the crap out of your barrel...steel wads are hard and thick and cover WHOLE payload.... you NEED proper wads of some sort...maybe ???could cut up .410 cases and use them as extra layer...but payload will suffer...
    yea nah, wont be emptying out the lead and refilling with steel, ill use it on ducks over land and pest control
    Micky Duck likes this.

Same for 20gà please.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

H&F had some federal in. I ordered a slab through Giles at Taihape sports. The federal stuff patterned and killed really well for me. If you really need some I could spare a packet or two. Based in Waiouru fyi.

I meant the expensive high density shot sir.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.