Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: .410 recomendations

.410 recomendations

Hey All

I'm sure it has been discussed before but after a couple of searches i can't find a thread.

Call me an optimist but i am expecting to get some sort of bird season this year, my 7 yr old got his first couple of ducks last year using his great Grandads .410 a single barreled hammer, brand unknown (cool wee gun took a couple myself also)

As the season went on the firing pin became unreliable as did the hammer cocking slightly, to the point where i am no longer willing to trust it, we are always going to keep the gun for sentimentals maybe to be refurbed properly down the track.

Any how looking to replace for this year and looking for recommendations for a junior bird gun, have previously looked at the optimas but a guy in store was hinting towards them being more suited to the pig fraternity.

Have currently settled on a Yildiz TK36 410G S/B Shotgun with the 24" youth barrel for around $350 which is also the very extent of the budget.

Any other recommendations or advice much appreciated.
    I grew up looking for frogs and shit!

You grew up looking for a wi fi connection.......we are not the same!

Gday Sparrow, if you're not already aware, Rivers to Ranges in Rangiora have a beautiful 28g SxS in store that is crying out to go to a young fella. It's really great condition for a used banger too. I cant remember the price but might be an option for you to look into. Just give James Morris a yell. I can give you his contact details if you like, just give me a PM.
    Sparrow likes this.
    Duurty .30cal

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"
    Sigmund Freud

I went for the yildiz 410 for my boy last year and happy i spent the money
    Sparrow likes this.

Thanks guys, the sxs has my interest and if that’s not suitable will see what .410’s James can supply any how as would rather keep it local as poss.

Yep the old one will prob tighten up have had a few tinkers but won’t take any chances safety wise. ��

I bought a Boito .410 sxs a couple years ago for the wife of trademe.
    Price from memory was $400.
    Keep an eye out.
    Size is definitely a bit shorter and lighter than full size 12ga.
    You do not want them belted by a gun that is too heavy or doesn't fit.

Bakail single .410 all the way...you wont regret it at all. you may need to pud up the pistol grip at heel with a bit of old jandle etc and tape it in place...bit too far for wee hands and they crab on trigger if you dont...run 3" shells and look carefully at payloads...closer to 3/4 oz is better than closer to half......that said 2 1/2" #4s work well too.
    the beauty of the bakail is the cocking lever is what opens it and you can use all 4 fingers to give it the squeaze....much easier and safer than cocking a hammer....and you can decock it to carry safely too. using 3/4oz of mixed shot sizes mostly#6s the lad was swatting woundies further than we could using full noise steel loads from .12ga with ease. thats a really good job for younguns as it makes them feel part of the team big time.
    Sparrow, timattalon and Phil_H like this.

One thing about the yildiz is its nice and light which makes it easy for a smaller kid to shoulder and swing by them selves.
    Sparrow likes this.

Thanks guys, the sxs has my interest and if that’s not suitable will see what .410’s James can supply any how as would rather keep it local as poss.

Yep the old one will prob tighten up have had a few tinkers but won’t take any chances safety wise. ��

And one more reason no way a kid would cock the hammer down and un cock it on there own on a optima .410.
    Also if you look after it they still sell for good money second hand but i know its hard to justify speeding $400 on a gun for a young child
    Sparrow likes this.

The 410 for wing shooting is really an experts gun not a beginners, the very small shot pay load is a real handicap. However I understand that the smaller size of 410 guns for the younger kids is attractive but they also grow out of them fast!. That 28g sxs sounds a good bet if it can be made to work, might get a few more years out of it.
    Sparrow and mimms2 like this.

Sorry to reboot this thread, but just wondering if you went down the 28ga route @Sparrow
    Duurty .30cal

Sigmund Freud

@Trig I did speak to James about the 28 gauge , under the restrictions I couldn’t get to see it which is probably best as he did say it was mint but sadly out of our current budget for the boy.

I did buy a cheap .410 off him tho which I had a fire/pattern of tonight to be honest for $250 it feels solid and safe, a little heavier than the old gun he used last year so recoils less even tho it’s firing 3 inch shells for a few more shot in the target.

Pretty confident he’ll take a couple of birds this year, and finish off mine or his grandads should it be required.

Thanks for all the advice.
    Micky Duck and berg243 like this.

Good work, I hope it works well for him. I couldn't remember the price of the 28ga, but I might have room for it in my safe.
    Duurty .30cal

Sigmund Freud

I watched mate with a .410b reaking clays yesterday -must admit i was very impressed with the wee bugger -as it punched well above its weight.!
    Micky Duck likes this.

my son got so plurry good at finishing off woundies with the .410 that us lads with .12ga steel just left him to it.....or he wouldve shown us up... pattern pattern pattern.