Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Birds are coming Back

Birds are coming Back

Havent seen any Pheasants since December in our usual dog exercise venue........................................until tonight

(I'm sure all you great dog trainers/handlers will pick holes but I could have easily shot both and thats enough for me)
    Hen Pheasant

Cock Pheasant

All filmed on my phone so quality is not that flash either
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

damn if that dont quicken your pulse your either dead or stupid.the sight of those dogs pointing holding and backing each other is to thrilling for words.
    shit your phone takes better video/pics than mine mikee
    Tommy likes this.

Awesome Mike, love how yr red dog looked liked it was instantly paralysed into a point on the hen, tucking in behind yr black dog.

Awesome

pointing dogs are so neat, great video.

awesome, such a cool thing to see the pointers in action.

Thanks guys, Its a pity the Black Boy is gunshy, this type of walkies is his "hunting".

Lemon Girl is my "general hunting companion" more than serious pheasant chaser (oh how I would like to give here a good workout on pheasants) as we have a very short season here on public land (on 6 days over 3 weekends) and for some reason last year there were not many quail. Don't do ducks. Neither dog will retrieve (my fault)
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Oh to have had a starter pistol on you when it flushed.....despite the gunshyness

That's not backing gsp follower, she hit the scent cone and didn't acknowledge the dog on point.
    mikee likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kawhia View Post
    Oh to have had a starter pistol on you when it flushed.....despite the gunshyness

That's not backing gsp follower, she hit the scent cone and didn't acknowledge the dog on point.
    I'll get some of "backing" next time I am out, Both dogs do it Naturally

It is one of the coolest things to see I reckon, my new pups have it naturally too.

How bad is the gun shyness

It is one of the coolest things to see I reckon, my new pups have it naturally too.

How bad is the gun shyness
    Well I wnet duck shooting last year and left the boy in the back porch of my mates farm house and shot some ducks down his creek 5-600m away. When I came back he was "a dribbling veggie on the door step" has been this way since a pup and yet both dogs were introduced to the gun the same way (both from same litter too).

granted tho i find the american fetish over it a bit artificial but im no expert or purist.
    isnt it a case of us forcing a human idea of respect on animals who wouldnt naturally do it??,what should she do give him a brass band
    id rather have the dog confirming a bird than confirming the other dog may be on a bird

I think "backing" was encouraged on the grouse moors when you might not be able to see a dog on point due to the ground contour but you could see the dog between you and the one on point so if it "backed" the one on point you would know to go over there so to speak.

Not sure that makes sense at all but its my interpretation

Rather have a dog that backs myself, not a nice day hunting with a greedy guts pointer that steals other dogs birds.

Rather have a dog that backs myself, not a nice day hunting with a greedy guts pointer that steals other dogs birds.
    ok you got me there you obviously operate in a plane far above mine.
    im just happy the dog pointed held till i released him to flush and the finer points never really came in cos i hunted mostly alone.
    but that the beauty of our sport each to his own and i should have said ''backing up each other''
    still it was fuckin pretty to watch technicle perfection or not.
    not a nice day hunting with a greedy guts pointer that steals other dogs birds.
    as oposed to a sooner back than hunt??