Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By North guy
  • 1 Post By mawzer308
  • 1 Post By R93
  • 1 Post By Lentil

Thread: Calling Techniques

Calling Techniques

What types of calls has everyone got? And what calls do you use to attract ducks? I found a greeting call, then a lone hen then greeting call got them in nice.......How does everyone else draw them in?

I've got an old Olt 66 that I've had for years and works great, Greeting call then a pause then a feeding cackle for me. I also have a double reed caller for those ducks that you need an anti-aircraft gun to get near.
    7mmTom likes this.
    If there is lead in the air there is hope

Type of call doesn't really matter it's how you use it. That said don't use the el cheapos haha. Usually a load hail, 8 or so notes gets their attention then a welcome call, chuckling or lone hen (Single quacks) do the trick.
    7mmTom likes this.

R93
    I used to be a big olt and Hammond fan. Still have those calls but prefer acryllic callers now. A good acrylic caller will carry further than a wooden call but will allow a soft call when needed. They're pricey tho but worth it.

If I am calling by myself I will just hail call till I turn the birds and then vary it until I am sure they're committed.
    Some birds are not worth your breath

If I have someone with me we mix it up.
    You know you have things pretty much right if you can turn birds that are of your flight line or look committed to land somewhere else but turn and come back to your spread. Or even answer you.
    I have always been OK at calling ducks. Canadas are a challenge for me at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    7mmTom likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

I use a Zink acrylic call, and a Hammond mainly, but hell - I have a bunch of calls that all work OK. It's things like when to call, and how loud to call that is important.
    Apart from being where the ducks are, good calling is the single most important thing in duck hunting in my opinion.
    7mmTom likes this.
    Everyone is entitled to their own stupid opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Lentil View Post
    I use a Zink acrylic call, and a Hammond mainly, but hell - I have a bunch of calls that all work OK. It's things like when to call, and how loud to call that is important.
    Apart from being where the ducks are, good calling is the single most important thing in duck hunting in my opinion.
    I agree mate.......I found if I called to aggressively when the ducks were in close they'd flare.