Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Baz

Canadian Geese full body decoys or Silhouette decoys?

Hi all

Looking into hunting the famous Canada Goose. I have been looking into decoys. I am under the assumption that full body decoys will be better than Silhouette decoys, correct? I would like to know what other people are using and having success with. I mean, shit you can spend some money on them if you want to... I have built a simple hay bale bind for when there is 2-3 of us. Thinking of getting a laydown blind for when it is just me.

Also, what load is everyone dropping the huge birds out of the sky with? Shooting a semi, 30" barrel, 12g, 3" chamber.

Cheers in advance.

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    Depends on where you are shooting them.
    Nth Island birds tend to be more mobs and shot over water/paddocks, where highcountry Sth Island birds are shot more often by walking gullies etc - esp in Spring times.

I shoot Falcon mag lead #2s; thousands of them - 3" is not required.
    I have a mate that shoots a pump gun as fast or faster than a semi, so its really up to you, however a gas semi is going be softer

Our decoys are 20 years old now - 1/2 shells with click in heads - also have some flat ones you open out with a stake.
    Because our shooting is Sth Island highcountry, decoys dont get must use

If you are going to get right into it then go for the Big Foot or any of the Magnum full bodies, flocked heads etc. They are far and away the best you can get, really awesome looking attractive decoys. The only problem being they take up a lot of space !! The shells are good and useable/effective, but once you see those big buggers in with your shells they stand out like dogs balls, and decoy envy sets in !!!

Baz we have shot a lot with our homemade silos. they a rugged but have limitations if its to sunny as they tend to shine a bit.
    Some of our team have the full bodys both fully flocked and flocked heads only now they look great and work well, take a bit more to set up and pick up after a hunt,
    so go with the best you can afford. BUT what ever you get make sure you have done your scouting first as the flashest decoys in the wrong spot still don't work. Find
    that X in the spot you want to hunt the day before at the same time you want to shoot before you attempt a hunt , this will increase your chances.
    WARNING this sport is addictive

Ejected
    Full bodies are the ultimate. Shells the next best, fuds after that and silos last. A haybail blind might work but wise heavily hunted birds will be smarter than that so a layout is an eventual necessity. Red and I have just brought these, comes to $230 with shipping.

Cabelas interceptor elite layout

They are running a $20 off $150 promotion as well so add a few more things in (like a goose call and a how to goose call dvd) and you are all set. Shotguns - just use what you have.

Re the deeks - there are some good deals on hard core full bodies on trade me at the moment.

Hard Core Full Body Canada Goose Finish Decoys 6pk | Trade Me

Hard Core Full Body Canada Goose Feeding Decoys x6 | Trade Me

Higdon Decoys

Higdon Decoys

Higdon Decoys

Higdon Decoys

Higdon Decoys

Higdon Decoys

the price on the higdons is US dollars, this just gives you an idea of whats available. there are others but these are what i use

some hard core full bodies arrived at my place this morning, i am borrowing them for a shoot im going on and they are alot smaller than my higdons, just over half the size

Baz
    Quote Originally Posted by MassiveAttack View Post
    Full bodies are the ultimate. Shells the next best, fuds after that and silos last. A haybail blind might work but wise heavily hunted birds will be smarter than that so a layout is an eventual necessity. Red and I have just brought these, comes to $230 with shipping.

Cabelas interceptor elite layout

They are running a $20 off $150 promotion as well so add a few more things in (like a goose call and a how to goose call dvd) and you are all set. Shotguns - just use what you have.

Re the deeks - there are some good deals on hard core full bodies on trade me at the moment.
    Do imported goods from Cabela's site get GST added in customs etc? I assume the website prices are $USD? I have never brought off Cabela's, seems the go?

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by upnorth uplander View Post
    some hard core full bodies arrived at my place this morning, i am borrowing them for a shoot im going on and they are alot smaller than my higdons, just over half the size
    Everything gets GST if it's over $400 including shipping. Prices are in USD. However if you order the blind and include the shipping it comes to $230 which is well under $400 so you are safe there. Add some more stuff until it's $150, then use the $20 rebate code and it will still be $230 and you will get some free stuff.

Go through the checkout process until you get to the point of entering your credit card. That tells you the total price in USD. Run it through the currency converter and you have your NZD price.

I ordered one on tuesday evening. My fedex tacking shows that it's cleared customs in auckland. Ordering from cabelas is a pleasure and makes buying from a local shop feel like a punch in the head.

WARNING - it's addictive.