Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: duck decoys

duck decoys

Last season was my first hunting ducks (how frigin awesome is it) now its time to invest could i get some advice please

i got half a doz GHG full body they look great but pricey, are hidgons the same quality?
    Are GHG floaters the same size as the full bodies if not do they look funny together?
    Does any one have a hidgons flash n splash? any good? what other robos would u recommend?
    Goose call, i found duck calling easy to learn. Goose calling, not so much. i have got a hammond it is bloody hard to use im thinking of getting a tim grounds super mag any thoughts, experience.
    Lay out blinds. good ones/bad ones?

just thought there are probably threads explaining all this but it takes me ages to type any thing and im not gunna waste it.

Thanks for any input guys

where are you hunting, paddocks, small ponds ,lakes?
    VIVA LA HOWA

small ponds, big ponds, paddocks

is there any natural hiding spots like bushes or drains around the paddock. Im quite lucky and have a drain run through the middle of my maize paddock I shoot in so I just camo up and sit in it. works wonders. by most of my small ponds its all natural cover. also are the small ponds natural feeding areas or resting areas for the ducks, I found a pond that ducks loved to feed on I left it and went back up there a week after opening just before dark we got 16 in 30min. it was dark we had to leave they were still coming so thats something to think about, deeks dont always need to be placed around. I cant say about flash and splash stuff as I have never used it. for geese im a waste of time asking the way we hunt geese is alot harder then sitting in a layout blind and dont get as good of results most times get nothing but it is the only way to hunt them where we hunt them.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Nothing wrong with higdon deeks its more important where you put em than what brand they are.
    A bit of size variation dosnt matter at all, more important is how you spread is, you want it to look like happy ducks doing what they should be in your hunting spot
    wing spinners atract from a long distance but can flare birds in close something that creates water movement is far more useful in my opinion, theres plenty of good goose calls out there, i havent used a hammond but its pretty hard to beat US made short reeds, I use GK Calls and my fav would be the Canuck there are a heap on special on cabelas at the mo
    Ihave a cabelas branded layout and have had no probs with it.
    i think that just about answers you questions
    Wellsford Gameshooters Club
    GK Calls

dont listen to SHOOTA , hes been giving me shit about my minature goose decoys , but if you have a look at the other forum you will see a pic of 200+ geese with Hard Core canada geese decoys in it

Quote Originally Posted by upnorth uplander View Post
    dont listen to SHOOTA , hes been giving me shit about my minature goose decoys , but if you have a look at the other forum you will see a pic of 200+ geese with Hard Core canada geese decoys in it
    you know they diddnt shoot all those geese over those deeks ay?
    GK Calls

yep, realised that, but no other decoy was worthy of being in the pic..lol

Thanks guys might check out cabelas sale

Ejected
    First off good effort on the username.

Second is the hammond a short reed, flute or traditional call? There are some great calling videos out there but there is no substitute in learning off someone else show you so send me a pm when you are heading up to chch at some stage. The TG Supermag is decent choice for starting out on.

Hi MassiveAttack
    its a short reed.
    i have watched lots of youtube videos and just cant see how i can make the those flowing calls with it. its hard enough to make a couple clucks. its put me off a bit coz
    i picked up duck calling pretty easy and struggling with the goose its a hard one. Massive i would love to get some advice and talk waterfouling with an experienced guy so i will pm you at some stage.

The mistake made by most when learning on a goose call is trying to get the sounds rolling when your not even forming the individual sounds properly yet, its take a great deal of practice for most and aiming to be like hunter grounds in a week or two just aint gunna happen. its a whole different beast to a duck call and you have to learn one step properly before moving on to the next, my 2c from the school of bad grammer
    GK Calls

duck decoys

Year it looks like im gunna have to put some hours in hopefully the supermag will make it a bit easier. Ive also have a call fetish i have already got 4 duck and a goose after my first season hunting so buying another call has me a bit excited. Might as well get another duck while im there.

.. and yup, I have a splasher flasher in the arsenal and I reckon on a still or slightly windy day its a great attractor with the spray flying. If you want lots of ripples though it doesn't give you that... Pulsator will though and BANG there goes $500 on decoys you MUST have!

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by username View Post
    Year it looks like im gunna have to put some hours in hopefully the supermag will make it a bit easier. Ive also have a call fetish i have already got 4 duck and a goose after my first season hunting so buying another call has me a bit excited. Might as well get another duck while im there.
    The hammonds are quite different to use than the american short reeds. In some ways easier, in others harder. PM sent.