Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Duck feeding

Duck feeding

These things any good?
    Could get the kids to go fill up buckets full atm.

And if they are anyone want them?

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
    stingray likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Yes, but I don't think they can digest them at all well. They would also need to be put through a blender to stop the stupid things from choking themselves.

They can eat them fine. I've shot ducks with their crops full of those pin-oaks acorns.

As for the larger English ones, giving them a crack with a hammer while in a sack makes them go a bit further.

Ducks love acorns, fulled up a 44gallon drum few years ago and feed out a bucket at a time. They ate the maize first then start on acorns.

R93
    They will and do eat any acorns. Even our west coast ducks that I imagine dont see many due to lack of oaks in our district. I usually fill a few sacks when I am in chch and feed them out a couple weeks before opening.

Have 10 oak trees planted over 20 yrs ago around one of my duck ponds by mother in law.
    Great intentions but I have yet to see an acorn come off them. The duck love sitting under them tho.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Anyone local want some?

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    They are brilliant and normally source my own, how ever not this year.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    some oak trees take a long time from seedling to having acorns . pin oaks are the fastest and take 5 years plus to have acorns from planting.
    I have been told that as well mate, thanks. But these trees have grown more outwards than upwards. Huge round bushes if you get what I'm trying to say. They have the right shaped leaves but I have never encountered an oak like these before.

If and when they do drop some acorns it will be a mean spot to shoot. It was an excellent pond but something has happened in the last 5 yrs and it doesn't shoot anywhere near as well.
    Way too many eels in it lately and I say ducks would be reluctant to nest there because of them which could be an issue.
    Had a mate do it commercially for me years ago and he got 300kgs of eels in a couple days.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

too far away to use them myself.....they do get eaten....after 18 years at same spot we have 6 oak trees growing,they are putting out a few acorns now....they will be great for the grandkids and great grandkids....
    R93 likes this.

Three big oak trees over the road from us - about 15m high - maybe 17 years old - branches right down on the lawn - must be heaps of acorns on the ground - they scratch around for hours. About 500m from the estuary and a settlement pond. I saw this lot waddle through a section and up the road to this site - they spent the evening in their feeding. Often see a couple waddle up or fly in and then back out. How do they recognize oak trees in a subdivision.
    Name:  IMG_7374.JPG
Views: 806
Size:  770.1 KB
    veitnamcam, R93 and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    too far away to use them myself.....they do get eaten....after 18 years at same spot we have 6 oak trees growing,they are putting out a few acorns now....they will be great for the grandkids and great grandkids....
    So are you eating them @Micky Duck
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

we subdivided our section built our new home on the back and guess what -yup have a huge oak tree on the front lawn of the old house -acorns galore in the driveway.too late this year but next ill be filling some sacks.

nah I dont eat them...but the ducks n geese surely do.
    time out.......in amongst all the neon signs of city street a set of purple wings sticks out like dogs balls to me...it means really good burgers.....will be no different for a duck,they have good eyesight and plenty of time to fly around checking out the greenery.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    nah I dont eat them...but the ducks n geese surely do.
    time out.......in amongst all the neon signs of city street a set of purple wings sticks out like dogs balls to me...it means really good burgers.....will be no different for a duck,they have good eyesight and plenty of time to fly around checking out the greenery.
    yup and if that greenery is a well set camo net...........

We bought our property from an English couple - they had planted about ten oak trees around the lawns and maybe another ten starters in the vegetable garden - I have done oak trees before around duck ponds and didn’t want this lot - so they all came out - one of Shankspony’s Mates (from the other forum) picked them up and took them over to his farm in the Waikato where he was doing big wet land developments - apparently growing well now
    Just after the Anzac service at the front gate this morning - four big Mallards flew in for a feed - just flown out again - lovely - the oak trees are looking spectacular - pity they drop their leaves
    tetawa and Micky Duck like this.