Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Ducks on the decline

It seems that many (most?) areas are suffering from a decline in mallard/grey numbers. There have been attempts by a few F&G councils to find out why, with many possible scenarios being put forward, but no definitive answers. When I look at my local councillors, it seems that we have an over representation of fishing enthusiasts on the council. I chose to vote strategically for the ones who appear to have genuine interest in game management. I am interested in knowing how many of our forum members who duck shoot, also vote.
    Everyone is entitled to their own stupid opinion

I duck shoot but what is this voting about? I have read a lot about steel being the cause of declining duck numbers and it has some strong points.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    I duck shoot but what is this voting about? I have read a lot about steel being the cause of declining duck numbers and it has some strong points.
    Voting for the Fish and Game councillors. You can tick to receive voting papers, and when the F&G elections come up, you can vote for a number of candidates to represent F&G in your region

I vote for who ever wants o get rid of steel. Then I can use my old shotty on the water again
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    I vote for who ever wants o get rid of steel. Then I can use my old shotty on the water again
    Yeah - can't see that happening any time soon. We are in a predicament. If F&G admit that steel shot has lead to more wounding, then the "twig and tweets" will use that against us. If we propose to go back to lead, all the old research from countries where a lot of shooting is at "duck clubs" over rice fields etc where ducks dabble, will be trotted out. I fear there is no going back unless there is some compelling evidence to support the change. The only way that could happen is by a big change in the F&G councils. Which leads me back to -- who voted??

I did but I can't see that was any good cos I voted for 10 yrs now IMHO here's the problem
    Opening morning as has been witnessed by me with stories from heaps of others The old school (all about numbers) shoot between 5 or 8 of them 400 ducks or they are lying bastards Trouble is that's the young and dumb FFS go kill 90% of your lambs and then look at your stock Same as every guy that comes outa the bush and goes got a dumb spiker Wicked you great hunter now why you think there's no stags ??
    So add good guns better camo more callers and grouse mechanical decoys so even the bad shooters get their limit no problem Now top it off in my area with farmers draining swamps cos there's another 2 ha I can milk off (my mate is a contractor like 20 ton diggers etc have seen him create 10 ha more milking land in a day ) so where's the ducks ?? Same place as all the grouse Kaimai stags we used to see DEADASBRO

What's the answer God knows I take under my limit eat as much as is eatable pay for my license and listen to the stories If half are true we here in the mighty Waikatoo will have fuckin nothing left soon
    Oh forgot bout the several thousand killed two years ago in fucked up Te Aroha sewage ponds followed last year by similar (botulism) thanks Matamata And F+G want me to buy a license again this year Shit don't start me on that !!!
    Happy days
    Last edited by Happy; 25-01-2013 at 09:24 PM.
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

Jeez HAPPY - your passion is showing through!!. Agree with your statement about all the young ducks being shot, and the wing flappers making "joe average" into limit takers.
    I also hear stories about carnage from some private pond owners, and I think these guys feel justified in ignoring the limit bags etc, just because they have done the work in creating and feeding ponds. That's why I get annoyed that we get checked by rangers every year that I have shot on a F&G ballot area. We all have licenses, we have eyes on us from every 100 metres away from the neighbouring maimais. Chances are we will be obeying every rule, yet every opening we are targeted - seems like we are just easy to check. I think the rangers would be better off hitting other places.

Agree 100 %. Hmmm I do get a bit passionate bout stuff that I love doing. Sometimes good sometimes bad Have visited a few ponds seen what happens. I don't have any idea how to fix it We decided just make yr ponds attractive and it is what it is. Mates 29 ton and 15 ton digger and three axle truck just spent two days in our best pond so it should have nice clean water heaps deeper and a bit bigger we ll see . Made it drain able too this time I'll post some pics tomorrow
    Neighbors filthy old shit pond next door currently has 5 to 700 ducks in huge flights bombing in every night from 7 till 8.30

Absolute waste as no ones allowed !! Feed pads right behind it Yep does my head right in they fly over my little home pond to get there eerghh!,
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    Agree 100 %. Hmmm I do get a bit passionate bout stuff that I love doing. Sometimes good sometimes bad Have visited a few ponds seen what happens. I don't have any idea how to fix it We decided just make yr ponds attractive and it is what it is. Mates 29 ton and 15 ton digger and three axle truck just spent two days in our best pond so it should have nice clean water heaps deeper and a bit bigger we ll see . Made it drain able too this time I'll post some pics tomorrow
    Neighbors filthy old shit pond next door currently has 5 to 700 ducks in huge flights bombing in every night from 7 till 8.30

Absolute waste as no ones allowed !! Feed pads right behind it Yep does my head right in they fly over my little home pond to get there eerghh!,
    Happy, (or not?) try putting some decoys on it and see if it brings some in, or your caller, will get them used to the new pond.....worth a try aye!
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Scouser View Post
    Happy, (or not?) try putting some decoys on it and see if it brings some in, or your caller, will get them used to the new pond.....worth a try aye!
    Sounds like you have the first part right Happy - go where the ducks are!!
    Agree with Scouser. Are you any good on a caller? We shoot right on a coastal sand dunes lagoon, and we scream at the mobs going out to sea with LOUD callers, and are able to turn a surprising number of ducks back off the sea. Worth a crack trying to call them off the shit pond and feed pad. Food is a powerful attractant though.