Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: flapper splasher decoys review

flapper splasher decoys review

So who is using the flapper splasher type decoys. Outdoor outfitters and Higdon both do them. There could be more ? Do they work any better than floaty decoys, how long do they run for on a battery. Do they last or is it a few days before they need replacement parts, can you get replacement parts besides battery and squirted hose. A lot of money for them to be no good. I am sort of newly addicted to this shotgun stuff Whats your thoughts guys/girls

absolutely awesome bit of kit, Im a tight wad and really had to think long and hard before forking out the coin for one...but as we shoot same place each season and normally suffer from the dreaded blue sky and no wind syndrome...having one of these gives at least some movement out in the spread.
    on smaller water/ponds if they tucked into one side of spread AWAY from where you are,they seem to divert ducks eyes from you...gives them something else to look out,but like all wing spinners they work best if cant be seen on a complete fly by circuit..25-50% of the circuit is best.....we really suffer in years where water level is low and nothing to hide decoys behind,but when level is high and willows are in the water,the difference is unreal,birds just come in and commit straight away.
    chindit likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

mine seems to last best part of two days on single charge...buggered if can work out how to remove battery to replace it with another..... it will come out with a lot of pissing around...but recharge overnight is easiest.
    chindit likes this.

I had a couple of decoys with a cord tied to the front through a milk bottle handle full of rocks and water. Give it some sharp pulls and the head dives under water popping back when cord is loose. Been on a few lakes after opening weekend where birds are weary (guess you are when things keep going bang) and thought this may be the dogs dangle's. The you tube clips look very lifelike for the flapper splasher. Just dont want to sell another kidney to buy one to find they just stop working (kaput) after the first week. Thanks for the feedback

the ol dipper decoys...yip we run two of them one each side of spread in ideal world...and we alternate which one is working...again to keep eyes away from us.
    Finnwolf likes this.

any sort of movement will help your spread look more alive and entice the ducks to come look and land. i found the splasher/flapper and swimmers very effective on open water, also found they didnt like the stationary landing flapper too much in recent years. remote ones are good so theyre not working when theres nothing in the air so batteries charge lasts days.

you could always just buy a butt up feeder decoy, order some parts and make your own, if you like tinkering and waiting for parcels to arrive. shipping delays from aliexpress are all that is holding me up from finishing a second one
    Micky Duck likes this.

Dunno where you shoot but the big pond i shoot on i tie a hook to my decoys and bait it with a bit of meat.Soon have eels swinging my decoys al round the pond.
    picked this wind flapper up for $69.
    Name:  picture 01 5205.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  163.0 KB
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

mate we have deployed one of those for 15 years...and have only once had enough wind for wings to spin....then fell over as wind really picked up...we have tried wings backwards as yours are and just about every other trick in the book...but just not enough breeze to make them work.
    Dundee likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chindit View Post
    So who is using the flapper splasher type decoys. Outdoor outfitters and Higdon both do them. There could be more ? Do they work any better than floaty decoys, how long do they run for on a battery. Do they last or is it a few days before they need replacement parts, can you get replacement parts besides battery and squirted hose. A lot of money for them to be no good. I am sort of newly addicted to this shotgun stuff Whats your thoughts guys/girls
    The Higdon splasher is awesome and makes a huge difference. Set it up in amongst a group. I run 1 with 2 of their flasher splashes. I run them all day without the splasher-turned on as the wings create enough movement.

The Higdon family are shooters so they know what they are doing. Man they are pricy but hopefully will last a long time. You get what you pay for

The lucky duck on water decoys are junk….don’t even go there

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    mate we have deployed one of those for 15 years...and have only once had enough wind for wings to spin....then fell over as wind really picked up...we have tried wings backwards as yours are and just about every other trick in the book...but just not enough breeze to make them work.
    Have 6 of these, never had enough wind for them to work as they should at the dam when I'm shooting. Put it down to "climate change" by the bird lovers.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Have a couple higdon xs pulsator decoys. Amazing bit of kit, so quick and easy to use and massive water movement. Very compact and no cords to worry about. Also use a jerk string.
    Name:  E748E8B8-F986-4560-9C80-AF4DC30FC725.jpeg
Views: 471
Size:  8.03 MB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Love_ducks; 05-06-2022 at 09:24 AM.
    Dundee, tetawa, Micky Duck and 1 others like this.

Home made duck butt with bilge pump. 20m -30m of power cord run back to hide. W
    ater proof lunch box container with battery and indicator switch in it with a toggle switch out the side.
    turn it off and on when you want it.
    Around $100 project, not a lot can go wrong
    Micky Duck likes this.

I soon got rid of the flimsey plastic stick as there was no motion for the duck to rotate with the wind.Added a heavy stake and slightly taller for more elevation to get the wind flow.
    Name:  picture 01 5241.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  165.0 KB
    As for those spoonzilla flappers they look worse than Adern with all those bloody teeth.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

I soon got rid of the flimsey plastic stick as there was no motion for the duck to rotate with the wind.Added a heavy stake and slightly taller for more elevation to get the wind flow.
    Attachment 198542
    As for those spoonzilla flappers they look worse than Adern with all those bloody teeth.
    CFD