Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Go to pheasant recipes?

Go to pheasant recipes?

Hey guys and gals this has probs been covered a thousand times before, but I'm keen to hear all your go pheasant recipes, cheers

Last one I cooked I spatchcocked, brined overnight and then roasted. A bit of garlic aioli rubbed into the skin and some bacon strips over top, with stuffing on the side. No complaints.

Actually it was the bird shown in my profile picture. I must cook up the other one in the freezer one of these days.

Have always just roasted in the oven the same as I would for a chicken, always tasted good

This is the only receipe I use.I used to get alot of Birds from a mate as they were various ages I used to cook them lime this.

https://www.wildandgame.co.uk/2018/1...sant-guidwife/

With Gravy and Mash they tasted great.
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

remember watching a cooking show on the maori channel and the bloke on there says "stuff it with karaka berries......then it will taste just like wood pigeon!"...........

Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    remember watching a cooking show on the maori channel and the bloke on there says "stuff it with karaka berries......then it will taste just like wood pigeon!"...........
    I always thought that was Miro berries? Never tried it though, but have wondered.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulNZ View Post
    Last one I cooked I spatchcocked, brined overnight and then roasted. A bit of garlic aioli rubbed into the skin and some bacon strips over top, with stuffing on the side. No complaints.

Actually it was the bird shown in my profile picture. I must cook up the other one in the freezer one of these days.

This

Met old bloke this season. His recipe. Crockpot. 3 cups of water. I cup white wine. Bacon strips over it and few strips of thyme. 3 hours.

Sweet cheers guys I'll give these a crack

They go well in a pie, something like Edmonds chicken pie recipe is good

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Banned
    All fowls, light brine overnight, dry, brown in pan with clarified butter, roast in oven bag on thin slices of Kumera which are then later mashed to make the gravy.
    hillclima and Shot Bro like this.

HI @Countryside. I have two recipes I currently use. the whole family loves both of them. When I process the birds I freeze the breasts and legs separately. For the breasts once I have enough fairly clean ones I stuff the breast with A butter mix as follows.. Chop garlic and parsley together in a whiz until really finely chopped. Add some lemon zest and then some softened butter. Quantities up to you the recipe called for 200g butter for four breasts. Was way way to much who ever wrote the recipe had big birds!!! 100g might be a good place to start. anyway once its mixed you can role it into a thin sausage in cling film then pop in freezer till it sets. Cut off slices of the set mix and stuff into cut pockets in the breasts. You are going to crumb these then deep fry.. To crumb Start with coating in flower then egg (2 eggs mixed with 200ml milk) Then crumbs I used panko crumbs. Repeat the egg and crumb process ie double coated. this is ridiculously messy... When a bread crumb fizzes upon entry the oil is ready. fry for 7 minutes. if they go brown its to hot. pure goodness!

@Countryside My other recipe is for the pheasant legs. this one is called Game Ragu. its mixed with pasta at the end and we love it. When I first started shooting and eating pheasant a couple years ago I couldn't believe how good eating these birds are. My kids really like it and they can be picky. This one takes a little while to prep but its worth it.
    500ml stock chicken 2 rashers streaky bacon chopped
    2 onions peeled 1 tsp coriander seeds
    half cinnamon stick
    1 large carrot peeled some thyme and rosemary
    1 celery stick diced 500ml tomato passata
    4 garlic glass of dry cider, skull the rest
    6 to 10 legs on bone thighs separated from drumsticks salt pepper

pre heat oven to 120
    place a large flame proof casserole dish over a medium high heat and add a little oil. Season the pheasant legs wit salt and pepper and brown them in the hot pan in batches transferring them to a plate once colored.
    When all done add the bacon to the pan , followed vy the vegetables,garlic,spices and herbs. lower heat and cook for around ten minutes to soften veges.Add the passata and cook for another ten. adjust seasoning as you go.
    Now add the cider and stock and bring to a slow simmer.add the pheasant put the lid on and place in oven for four hours. Take it out of the oven and check to see if the meat is tender and falling off bone. I have done this recipe about 4 times and the meat has always been good at four hours. If not chuck it back on till its good.
    Once cooked leave to cool then lift out the pheasant and pick out the bones and sinews. The drumsticks contain lots of sinew and small bone seems like a drag but it aint, get on with it... return meat to sauce. Check seasoning. Can go in fridge or freezer or eat right away. I mix with spiral pasta and serve with fresh parsley and Parmesan. Its a great dish . last time I didn't have passata and used a dolmio sauce but it made it sweet and over powered the pheasant flavor. bring on next season
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Thanks so much they sound bloody delicious. Will give them a crack next season!! Cant wait ��

Good morning!
    I will gladly start here because it is cooking that got me into hunting. There was often a problem with buying meat I needed for my recipes or the price was super high. So I took the matters into my own hands! Here is my favorite pheasant recipe:

ROYAL PHEASANT

INGREDIENTS
    Pheasant
    10 dag of lard
    oil
    2 yolks
    2-3 dag of chocolate powder
    Salt, pepper and cinnamon

Wash the pheasant, cut off the neck and wings, rub with spices, and leave in the fridge for an hour. Then cut a pocket in the breast, cover it with thin slices of lard, tie it with thread, pour over oil and bake it by first sprinkling with water, then with the sauce produced. At the end of baking, remove the lard, spread the pheasant with yolks, sprinkle with chocolate. Remove the soft pheasant, cut it into portions so that each portion is a piece of the thigh and breast, place it on a platter and pour over the seasoned sauce.

I usually serve it with potatoes, and seasonal vegetables.

Bon apetite!
    I am Chris and I can help you with 24 hour alarm monitoring Shepparton