Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: gooses

gooses

any of you CHCH buggers seen any sign of canada gooses on the wing -specially headed toward ellesmere .GSPF did a recce 2/7ago not a sign .ive had a couple of promising intell reports _oodles of aggro canadas nesting up the st james walkway and last night a colleague on nightshift with me has heard a lot of nocturnal calling on the wing etc -shes over bealey ave way.
    anyone out lincoln way spotted the buggers on the wing .
    5-6 yr ago we'd have been harvesting by now but obviously its changed.
    any sightings info etc much appreciated.

Just moved outta motukarara. theres a fair few hanging around off the rail trail on the way to little river but not on the wing no, i had a little spell once of trying to get a few in but nope nothing, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie1991 View Post
    Just moved outta motukarara. theres a fair few hanging around off the rail trail on the way to little river but not on the wing no, i had a little spell once of trying to get a few in but nope nothing, sorry.
    cheers charlie -maybe we could catch up sometime and get you onto a couple -best aphrodisiac out in a goose salami -with a couple under my belt even a knothole in a fence paling looks like kimmy kardashians.....
    Boaraxa and WallyR like this.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie1991 View Post
    I'm over in Springfield now, but more than happy to come and have a day out with you fellas.

What's the best time of year for getting them to eat?

Quote Originally Posted by uk_exile View Post
    once the get"home"to the lake hopefully sometime soon should be a few youngsters about -good for eating .most myself included simply breast em -with of taking legs as well for patties or salamis. there are also feral g-these herbewrts being also a very firm favourite of mine .Itreat them similarly although must admit Ihave plucked and eaten the odd one.same rule really younger =more tender.ferals generally never move far from lake edge.
    charlie1991 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kotuku View Post
    once the get"home"to the lake hopefully sometime soon should be a few youngsters about -good for eating .most myself included simply breast em -with of taking legs as well for patties or salamis. there are also feral g-these herbewrts being also a very firm favourite of mine .Itreat them similarly although must admit Ihave plucked and eaten the odd one.same rule really younger =more tender.ferals generally never move far from lake edge.
    Thanks. I spend a bit of time around Ashburton lakes and there's a few Canada geese there. They're happy floating around fairly close so thought I might take 1 or 2 with .22 then
    Have never eaten goose so wanted it to be good time of year when first try it. I've read the breasts are ok cubed up and skewer on bbq

Thanks. I spend a bit of time around Ashburton lakes and there's a few Canada geese there. They're happy floating around fairly close so thought I might take 1 or 2 with .22 then
    Have never eaten goose so wanted it to be good time of year when first try it. I've read the breasts are ok cubed up and skewer on bbq
    Don't think you can legally use a .22 unless your on private land no hate just don't want to see anyone in the shit.
    I got plenty goose breast in the freezer if ya wanna try some ?
    xtightg likes this.

cheers charlie -maybe we could catch up sometime and get you onto a couple -best aphrodisiac out in a goose salami -with a couple under my belt even a knothole in a fence paling looks like kimmy kardashians.....
    Kim?? EUWWWWWWW!!!
    dannyb likes this.

Legally ok as got DOC small game permit that allows use of .22 rim-fire rifle, .22 hornet or shotgun & because Canada are not game birds its all good. That's doesn't apply to lake ellesmere though, need a special permit for there & shotgun with steel only.
    Dynastar27 and dannyb like this.

Legally ok as got DOC small game permit that allows use of .22 rim-fire rifle, .22 hornet or shotgun & because Canada are not game birds its all good. That's doesn't apply to lake ellesmere though, need a special permit for there & shotgun with steel only.
    id be very careful using any .22 near any body of water on geese.ricochet better than even chance .power to kill ratio -youd be very suprised just how much force is required to down a fully fledged canada:BTW shooting on the water may be technically legal but amongst the goose shooting fanatics its not the done thing and to evcen present with one may well see a reaction similar to the look of a lab owner as doris leaves a pile on the bremworth carpet having scoffed sundays roast!
    I can assure you ive always specifically asked DOC for permit to shoot geese on ellesemere -not just a small game one and have had it specifically issued for that.likewise fewral geese though sometimes both are combined .
    In light of current FAL controversies and in order to avoid potential difficulty i'd recommend you contact DOC again re the specifics of using .22 or variants therof on canada geese in Ashburton lakes district.lastly -do not underestimate the scouting powerds of a canada goose -99.9%of time theylldetect you before you can set up to take em ands youd be bloody suprised what happens next -thats why most gooseshooters oftern have large square foreheads with receeding hairlines -exasperated forehead slapswith tearing out precious lumps of what little hair is left as mr goose rockets for the sky alerting all and sundry whanau for kms around.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    any of you CHCH buggers seen any sign of canada gooses on the wing -specially headed toward ellesmere .GSPF did a recce 2/7ago not a sign .ive had a couple of promising intell reports _oodles of aggro canadas nesting up the st james walkway and last night a colleague on nightshift with me has heard a lot of nocturnal calling on the wing etc -shes over bealey ave way.
    anyone out lincoln way spotted the buggers on the wing .
    5-6 yr ago we'd have been harvesting by now but obviously its changed.
    any sightings info etc much appreciated.
    Kotuku those bloody English are tricky bastards. They made the plural of goose, geese by swapping out the oo for an ee but the cunning buggers didn’t make it a rule so the plural of moose is not meese and the plural of noose is not neese. I blame Pengy.
    Gapped axe, oraki and 40mm like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

id be very careful using any .22 near any body of water on geese.ricochet better than even chance .power to kill ratio -youd be very suprised just how much force is required to down a fully fledged canada:BTW shooting on the water may be technically legal but amongst the goose shooting fanatics its not the done thing and to evcen present with one may well see a reaction similar to the look of a lab owner as doris leaves a pile on the bremworth carpet having scoffed sundays roast!
    I can assure you ive always specifically asked DOC for permit to shoot geese on ellesemere -not just a small game one and have had it specifically issued for that.likewise fewral geese though sometimes both are combined .
    In light of current FAL controversies and in order to avoid potential difficulty i'd recommend you contact DOC again re the specifics of using .22 or variants therof on canada geese in Ashburton lakes district.lastly -do not underestimate the scouting powerds of a canada goose -99.9%of time theylldetect you before you can set up to take em ands youd be bloody suprised what happens next -thats why most gooseshooters oftern have large square foreheads with receeding hairlines -exasperated forehead slapswith tearing out precious lumps of what little hair is left as mr goose rockets for the sky alerting all and sundry whanau for kms around.
    Understood. I'll check with DOC about method specifics. Have asked before and no special permit for location (unlike Ellesmere), small game permit was enough.
    I'd be taking them on water or land. Would be head or neck shots too as not sure a 22 would be enough for a body shot.
    Anyone would have to be a fool to fire a .22 at a flying bird as projectile travels 1.5km+

summer early seasons ok but usually feb march after they get on grass and off the brown top .
    winter season june july august theyre fat but paranoid as hell.
    summer season kicks off feb 1st for parries which should kick in nicely with when we used to get into the geese
    bloody 14th of January opening was ok for the top of nth Canterbury but was to early for the lake I reckon.

I thought the only ashburton gorge lake you could shoot on at all was emma