Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: I have learn't to love 3" 36 gram recoil

I have learn't to love 3" 36 gram recoil

After taking in all your guys wisdom and freindly advice I nailed 4 mallards(2 hens,2 drakes) cleanly, holy hell what a blast! I am kicking myself that I didn't get into it earlier!!!!

arrrggh and I think I've learnt to love recoil? there is no other way of describing it!

how was opening day for you and didn't the really sunny weather just piss you off like we had it up here!

R93
    Used an Oz 1/8 2's in lead and now steel since I can remember on ducks and geese. Easier to shoot, cheaper and kills as well as anything, have my reservations on steel but thats another issue. Apart from more shot the magnums and the like are IMO a gimmick as the velocity through most gauges is all pretty much the same no matter what the load at 10-15yrds. If your putting your shot in the right place and within 40-50 yrds it doesnt matter what you use, shot size aside.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Used an Oz 1/8 2's in lead and now steel since I can remember on ducks and geese. Easier to shoot, cheaper and kills as well as anything, have my reservations on steel but thats another issue. Apart from more shot the magnums and the like are IMO a gimmick as the velocity through most gauges is all pretty much the same no matter what the load at 10-15yrds. If your putting your shot in the right place and within 40-50 yrds it doesnt matter what you use, shot size aside.
    AMEN to that! I'm not fussed with ammo unless we're talking deer ammo, just as long as its 200ish for a brick and 3" number 4-2's i'm not fussed.....

Its a complete gimmick and something I'm refusing to let myself buy into,I'll use the $$$ for more value for money ammo!

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock river arms hunter View Post
    AMEN to that! I'm not fussed with ammo unless we're talking deer ammo, just as long as its 200ish for a brick and 3" number 4-2's i'm not fussed.....

Its a complete gimmick and something I'm refusing to let myself buy into,I'll use the $$$ for more value for money ammo!

Jeez its getting dear. Not so long ago you could buy a seasons worth of ammo for just a bit more than that. Lead shot is still not to badly priced.
    Last edited by R93; 06-05-2012 at 10:26 PM.

really??? I have only shot 1 box of lead at clays and you cant really gauge how effective it is

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock river arms hunter View Post
    really??? I have only shot 1 box of lead at clays and you cant really gauge how effective it is

Eh??

I used the 20 gauge this opening with #4s out of 2 3/4 shells, soft to shoot and lays the smack down on the ducks, we got 40 ducks and my average was 2.1 shots per dead bird (including finishing shots etc which only a couple of were required)
    I am now seriously contemplating another 20 and wondering why I kept trying bigger and harder hitting loads all the time in the 12 when you can achieve great things with a lot less...
    R93 and Rich007 like this.

R93
    I like to use a .410 on ponds and looking at a 20g for everything else. 2 3/4inch in 1oz or 1 1/8 of 2's 0r 3's does me for ducks and geese. 12g for clays as it gets expensive for 20g clay ammo firing close to 5000 rds a year.
    Last edited by R93; 06-05-2012 at 11:55 PM.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    Have an M2 20g. Im a big fan, picking up 3 out of a mob far more than I did previously. No recoil, so back on target quick.
    Looking at the same gun. Ill wait to see if they drop the prices after the season. I see they were 2100ish not long ago.

I doubt the M2 will be any cheaper next year , its a pretty sharp price at 2,000 at the mo.

As for steel i still have not got the hang of it, aminly as Im still shooting as if im using lead loads and that dont really work. This opening Ernie was using some Ely cartridges and there was a load of shit in the barrels with them. Also amazed how he knocked a bird for 6 in the air a shit load of feathers came out ffrom breast / underside but it still struggled on coming down way behind in the cover. Reality i think is you have to present the birds as front on as possible and reduce the range for clean kills on steel compared to lead.

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    I'm using a 20g M2 Benelli as well. Really liking it! Used 3" 1 1/4oz 4's this year (Winchester super phesant). Knocked them down with real authority, and much further out than steel (much to the disapointment of my brother who was shooting 3" 12g Steel)
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyke View Post
    I doubt the M2 will be any cheaper next year , its a pretty sharp price at 2,000 at the mo.

As for steel i still have not got the hang of it, aminly as Im still shooting as if im using lead loads and that dont really work. This opening Ernie was using some Ely cartridges and there was a load of shit in the barrels with them. Also amazed how he knocked a bird for 6 in the air a shit load of feathers came out ffrom breast / underside but it still struggled on coming down way behind in the cover. Reality i think is you have to present the birds as front on as possible and reduce the range for clean kills on steel compared to lead.
    Where abouts can I get one for this price Tyke?

H and F were doing it for 2199, reloaders advertised for 2100 but not sure if thats just 12g. Either way with a bit of banter and haggling you might be able to get a bit nearer the 2000 mark. Either way if I had the spare cash id be tempted.

R93
    Cheers Tyke just waiting on a txt to see if I can still grab one around that price.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyke View Post
    H and F were doing it for 2199, reloaders advertised for 2100 but not sure if thats just 12g. Either way with a bit of banter and haggling you might be able to get a bit nearer the 2000 mark. Either way if I had the spare cash id be tempted.
    Thanks mate. I have just bought a brand spanker for 2gs. Plus a slab of lead, I'm stoked.