Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Baz

Kayak Duck hunting

I have in the past used our large old tinny with a mate to float the local rivers after ducks. We are finding the ducks wary of the large tinny with minimal camo. I have been looking at a kayak to enable me to hunt solo. I was wondering how common it is for duck hunting, advantages/disadvantages?

Alos how would you best use it to get the best from it? stationery on the side of a river in a good spot? or mostly floating?

I am keen on a kayak similar to one Paul Stenning uses in his article in the NZ Hunter mag. http://www.missionkayaking.com/site/...20Brochure.pdf

Not cheap at $1200, but I assume the potential hunting opportunities it would create would justify the cost?.

Also been thinking about how it would work as a platform for hunting coastal Geese from?

Keen to hear some comments/ideas??

Cheers
    Baz

ocean kayaks in silverdale do a cammo yak bro

Kaipara Lifestyler | Of Interest

message me if youe are keen , I know the salesman at the shop. Im not small and you can see that it takes me no worries

mate uses a plastic Canadian canoe style rig and floats down rivers... works a treat.

Only lost one shotgun in the water (deeeeep and had to get diving gear to retreave it)
    Fishing ... Hunting its all good

Baz
    Cheers Upnorth Uplaneder, will keep it in mind. Heaps on Trade Me that are not that old and only been used a few times.

Lethal. I have been thinking about loosing the shot gun, looking at a clip/strap system on the sling swivel. Was in the tinny the other day and me mate was day dreaming and started using his beretta as the paddle. opps.

Quote Originally Posted by leathel View Post
    mate uses a plastic Canadian canoe style rig and floats down rivers... works a treat.

Only lost one shotgun in the water (deeeeep and had to get diving gear to retreave it)
    I'd never use a Canadian, absolutly hopeless for the job, I'd stick with the bright and shiny tinny