Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Killing Time

Just another outdoors addict

Killing Time

A few of us will get out after a deer which will help, but for many with eyes only for opening of the game bird season the month of April is killer slow!

I get out a fair bit during a season and while photo taking has taken a bit of a back seat those I have taken are a nice personal reminder of hunts or events connected to hunting.

Below is a photo of a stunning hybrid. We were after a grey duck for mounting. I'm pretty sure some birds showing slightly stronger grey traits were amongst the birds that flushed..... twas a bit of a fail but a nice bird no less, better luck next opportunity?

Anyway- to help me work through the next month I thought people might like to share a brief story of a memorable bird, incident, or hunt from last season.

gsp follower likes this.

Shot hundreds of ducks last season but this crazy looking drake was certainly "the ugly duckling ".
    puku, Breda, Dundee and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan F View Post
    Shot hundreds of ducks last season
    That's $90 bucks worth if you ask me
    Pointer and Gibo like this.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    That's $90 bucks worth if you ask me
    Fuck up
    Dundee, Toby, Maca49 and 1 others like this.

I shot a duck that had a plastic milkbottle ring around its neck.Poor bloody thing done it a favour.
    Name:  P5311531.JPG
Views: 590
Size:  347.0 KBName:  P5311532.JPG
Views: 604
Size:  336.4 KBName:  P5311529.JPG
Views: 633
Size:  308.7 KB
    Nathan F, Breda, EeeBees and 2 others like this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

That's hard case Dundee. Any extenuating circumstances in the taking of that bird- or your's Nathan?

I can't remember the story behind this duck. It was shot on a hunt I was on. I had spied a similar bird the year before up and down the lake edge. I could have shot it at one point but let her go. I also shot a very dark drake there as well but some good soul plucked it before a daylight photo could be taken.

This photo reminds me that I don't know everything..... I downed a bird in Raupo thick enough that walking over it was easier than through it. Twice I sent Max the mad lab in the direction of the stone dead bird. Twice he could be heard way off line- much to my disgust. On the third effort I decided to just let him work as he has proved me wrong on occasion. After a while Max returned with a very much alive grey duck. Considering I had allowed the duck quite a head start in what a dog must consider a nightmare (human equivalent- bush lawyer, gigigig, with a liberal helping of onga onga. Onya Max still teaching an old dog new tricks!

It was just a bizarre specimen Tim. Green head with parrie female brown and flecks of white. A real hard case.

Seen a white duck 6 months prior too opening one year and set up where I thought it might be on the river and at first light 6 ducks took off and I gave the white one every cartridge in the gun
    Name:  Picture 105.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  164.7 KB
    Nathan F, Breda and gsp follower like this.
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

guys
    a few years ago one of the units i was in at the hospital was host to a mob of "dulux" mallards whom our caterer and yours truly used to feed bread too.they came in all colours&hues of the spectrum. It was also memorable for a wee "orange":hen who was minus one leg.her protector was a big mallard drake ,a real brute &bully ,who didnt hesitate to ensure she got he allocated rations of bread.
    From outings with residents ive also seen mobs like this on the Avon ,by the Hagley Park tennis courts ,and out at the groynes picnic area .this mob are even more fascinating in that there are assorted domesticated ducks in their midst too. BTW-which large duck is black&white ???rohans-cause theres at least 5 of those last time i saw them.
    id always presumed this clour mutation was from cross breeding with domestic species.

[img][/img][img][/img][img][/img]
    god times good times
    the 1st pic is of boggy creek before me mate really rooted his shoulder and with the old black dog in his last season i think and obviously before the gsp lost his wetsuit
    the 2nd is the 1st time the gsp had to do it all on his own
    the 3rd is a hunt when the berretta owner turned up just when i called in a mob to about 20 feet and he had to hide in the bushes on the track untill id finished hooking into them
    still we took 15 without to much trouble the next morning as well as the 10 in the pic.
    Last edited by gsp follower; 02-04-2015 at 03:20 PM.
    Breda and gadgetman like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kotuku View Post
    guys
    her protector was a big mallard drake ,a real brute &bully ,who didnt hesitate to ensure she got he allocated rations of bread.
    A wild pair that used to turn up here to breed was quite similar. He wouldn't eat until she had had a fair go at the tucker. Chivalry is alive and well among ducks!

Another weird one from me. Some of you have heard it before but what the hell

Caught this wee fellow one november

Then let it go with his little black brothers and sisters and waited till duckshooting season.
    Where I found it two kilometres down stream of our little creek and the rest is history

The colour mutation made an awesome trophy.
    gsp follower likes this.
    CFD

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
    Another weird one from me. Some of you have heard it before but what the hell

Caught this wee fellow one november

Then let it go with his little black brothers and sisters and waited till duckshooting season.
    Where I found it two kilometres down stream of our little creek and the rest is history

The colour mutation made an awesome trophy.
    damn mutant puk,s nowwhats next 3 eyed fish and 6 fingered banjo players
    Nathan F and Dundee like this.

not forgetting gentlemen aussie cricket players there GSPF

kotuku stop pickin on the auzzies i couldnt bear to see grown men cry
    if we had a single currency youd still have trouble gettin them to buy around.
    the australian haka in no myth
    [