Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By Rodders
  • 1 Post By gsp follower
  • 5 Post By Loosenuts
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 2 Post By Maca49

Thread: Lake Ellesmere Low?

Lake Ellesmere Low?

Hi all,

I've been out doing some recon on Ellesmere and I'm planning on shooting it for the first time, after the opening weekend rush. Looks like there are some good spots and plenty of maimai's to use if they're vacant on the day.

The lake looks really low with quite a lot of maimai's out of the water - hopefully we get some rain but is the lake likely to come up much in the next month?

Can't wait for weekend opening in Otago then getting off my butt to do some local shooting during the season.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Loosenuts likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodders View Post
    Hi all,

I've been out doing some recon on Ellesmere and I'm planning on shooting it for the first time, after the opening weekend rush. Looks like there are some good spots and plenty of maimai's to use if they're vacant on the day.

The lake looks really low with quite a lot of maimai's out of the water - hopefully we get some rain but is the lake likely to come up much in the next month?

Can't wait for weekend opening in Otago then getting off my butt to do some local shooting during the season.
    usually 2 weeks or so before opening we,l get rain and plenty of it
    the lake needs a big southerly to close it from the last opening then things will look better
    Rodders likes this.

Hey Rodders,

I went there last season after opening weekend, was plenty of birds around but all rafted up in the middle. I'm new to this forum and the Canterbury area, only been down here a year now. If your interested in doing a few hunts after the opening weekend drop me a line and we can sort some shoots out. I've got plenty of gear and boat etc, just none of my mate here hunt and aint really that interested in it.
    just PM me and we can go from there.

was just thinking there could well be a lot of southland ponds looking rather sad too...... I asumed wrongly the lake/dam I usually shoot would be full to brim after all the glorious rain we have had all summer,but nope its down about 3mtrs as per usual...we can have good shooting untill it gets 7-8mtrs down,then we play mud rats and get only a few.
    Rodders likes this.

Thanks guys, fingers crossed for some bad weather. Southland is in for a tough season alright Micky Duck. 5 weeks and we're into it!

the big fire down there could make things interesting too....be a fair few birds looking for new lodgings....

Yeah that's not ideal for the Southlanders - hopefully they fly north for opening!

enviroment canterbury has website that has river flows/lake levels....I give it a hammering for the next month...depressing watching levels drop...knowing it means mud mud and more plurry mud.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    enviroment canterbury has website that has river flows/lake levels....I give it a hammering for the next month...depressing watching levels drop...knowing it means mud mud and more plurry mud.
    you can sign up with them for a weekly lake level and flow update.
    currently the WIND efected lake level is 58cms so f.......kin low.
    this rains a start but we,l see if it closes the lake when the southerly/sou westerly hits tonight /tommrow morning

He’s one I saw on the Rail Trail a few weeks back Name:  60065E40-9262-42EF-8075-ADCB5595CD39.jpeg
Views: 235
Size:  1.15 MB had a Mai Mai set up
    gsp follower and Micky Duck like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

elly upto .62 0f a metre now so some improvement and its closed to the sea.
    dont forget to renew yoor doc permits for the lake one for gamebirds one for geese they ran out in aprill