Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Barefoot

Thread: Lead poisoning of gamebirds in NZ

Lead poisoning of gamebirds in NZ

Here's an old paper from F & G outlining the fact it does occur here and that research was done in NZ:

http://hunting.fishandgame.org.nz/si...me%20birds.pdf

presumably there is "current" research ,at least more updated than this document ,in F&Gfiles, for you to access.Of note to myself ,was the mention of investigations done on ellesmere (minute as they were).are you aware mike posssibly at very least 50 epicentres of the11,000 odd earthquakes we experienced were in this lake.
    doesnt take a einstein to realise what effect that has on the structure of the lake bed, and its aquatic population.Hmmmm-any investigations ever done into fish ingestion of lead -plenty still gettin eels&flounder outta the lake..
    furthermore you'd do well to read &absorb Tussocks opinions on here because in essence he gives a concise clear explanation of the actions of lead on exposure to both water &airand the more omnipotent toxin "cadmium"which makes lead look like a struggling toddler.
    Finallyh, and this is directed at you and your council-Im not disputing lead is a toxin,having in my long nursing career nursed more than one poor unfortunate who suffered irreversable brain damage from PROLONGED INGESTION OF IT .What really gets up my nose is your whole zealotic approach to a mooted action ,and the ruthless manipulation deliberately undertaken to enact that , especially right under the noses of national council,whose assurances ,to my knowledge remain to the. contrary.
    belated attempts at justification ,no matter how noble they may seem aint gonna wipe the impending sense of pariah&ridicule looming.Indeed as others have said ,a drastic shortfall in F&Gfunds is viable as shooters simply walk away from "all this shit".
    in summary,old bean your belated attempts at justificationof the actions of your faceless "greenie"buddies is noble but failsIMHO

I'm not saying it doesn't kill ducks when eaten. What I do think is that the amount ducks dying isn't due to the lead being consumed though. There is something else. This year I will cut open all the gizzards of ducks I can and check them and record my own results.

Where did they shoot the ducks for the test. I will also record areas I shot the ducks, I can only think of one place I have shot where if using lead it would just be laying among the river metal where they may go.
    Last edited by Toby; 27-02-2013 at 10:50 AM.
    VIVA LA HOWA

blah blah bla h blah and i saw poo stick to a blanket in 1977
    more out of date supposition posing as fact unscientific bollocks
    scientific would be test a certain number of birds not varying numbers
    explain to me how someone can report lead poisoning,what are they bloody physchic. without and autopsy or such???
    Last edited by gsp follower; 27-02-2013 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
    Here's an old paper from F & G outlining the fact it does occur here and that research was done in NZ:

http://hunting.fishandgame.org.nz/si...me%20birds.pdf
    There is no date on this, nor is it a detailed study/report with details of methods, assumptions, results, calculations, ... Nor is there any reference to whether it was before or after the 12g + lead ban. If it was before the 12g + lead ban then where are the results that the current change in rules was based on?
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    There is no date on this, nor is it a detailed study/report with details of methods, assumptions, results, calculations, ... Nor is there any reference to whether it was before or after the 12g + lead ban. If it was before the 12g + lead ban then where are the results that the current change in rules was based on?
    But that's the way doc do there studies and the rest of the population just believe it.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Mike
    I asked on the other thread:-
    Are you able to provide the raw data from the latest research so it can be handed to an independent party for analysis.
    I don't think anyone is disputing that duck pick up lead pellets but it needs to be shown what else was in the gizzards as well as test for other contaminants in the organs.
    So it needs whole fresh birds preferable head shots only.
    Lentil likes this.
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

lets back up a little mike -Its just occured to me ;before this little spot of shennanigans Southland F&G had offered $100,00.00pa for three years to fund research into the mallard issue.now that is a fine gesture and shows dedication to the cause,BUT is it still on the table???
    Im fairly confident in stating you'd have got a hell of a lot more kudos from shooters had your crew pursued this rather than the "sneaky"option.
    my ,isnt politics a fickle master??

If ducks are eating that much lead would not the fly in a nose down attitude. That would be easier for F&G they would only need an inclination level taped to their heads