Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By JoshC
  • 2 Post By Bryan
  • 1 Post By Happy

Thread: Mojo or Robo Duck float

Mojo or Robo Duck float

Thought I might share my prototype float for a mojo/robo/wing spinner type decoy I made last night.

Our pond is deep at the end the ducks approach from with predominant winds, and setting up the mojos there has been near enough to impossible in the past.

The bottom is very silty and getting a pole long enough to erect the "heavy" decoys on securely is a problem. It would need to be a "permanent" pole to be sturdy enough to ensure they don't eventually take a dunking, and permanent isn't ideal either as sometimes the wind changes and the mojos need moving!

So we decided we need floats for our decoys. I thought about buying something online. but knew I was running out of time and could make something cheaper.

For this I bought the following;

A sheet of 40mm thick expol under floor polystyrene (enough to make 5-6 of these floats) ~ $30

For each float, 2 x 40cm brown plastic circular trays from the warehouse ~ $5 each

Waterproof 50mm duct tape (a roll will do4-5 floats), it's only to protect the outside of polystyrene to stop it breaking apart ~ $7

Selleys liquid nails ~ $7 a tube

Spray paint cans, black and green for camo ~ $10 a can.

A block of wood 100x100mm ~ $0

I cut the polystyrene into circles/disks, the same circumference as the inside of the trays. It was a guess that 3 x disks glued together (120mm thick) would be sufficient to float a mojo safely. Tests proved this was the case.

Glued the three disks together.

Cut a square piece of 4x2, and drilled a 12-14mm hole right through the centre. This was countersunk and glued into the centre 120mm thick disk I made/glued together earlier, to sit flush with the top.

A hole is drilled right though the polystyrene and out the bottom. The block of wood adds strength the polystyrene, to hold the mojo pole securely, so the hole doesn't flog out over time.

A circular tray is glued onto each side of the disk, essentially creating a tidy, hard and protective surface around the polystyrene. The hole through the centre is continued through the plastic trays.

Now the mojo pole can be pushed right through the float, I've drilled holes in the mojo pole at 10cm intervals so the height of the mojo can be adjusted.

The bottom of the mojo pole has a hole drilled in it so a string can be tied off and a decent weight slung off the bottom of the pole, so it acts like a keel of a yacht.

I'll use a length of chain a couple of foot long, as I don't know the depth of the pond, and that way there'll be weight on the pond floor anchoring it, but also up the string ensuring there is always weight on the float to prevent it tipping over. Although, my tests done this morning proved the float to be very stable and probably not need this. Murphy's law though.

Wrap tightly with duct tape around the outside of the trays and polystyrene to protect it from being broken/chipped off over time. Then grab some paint and whip up a bit of camo/or matt black on the float to help it blend in to the pond surface.

My rough cost add up reckons I made these for about $20 or less. Takes about half an hour to prep the pieces and put together, and a night to let the glue set. I made four last night.

Had one going on the pond this morning to test it, worked pretty good. Basically means we can now move the mojo's anywhere in the pond or any other deep water we are shooting.

Another minor bonus was the float moves/wobbles with the action of the mojo so a bit of movement/ripples appear on still water around it which always helps.

Be interesting to see if they make a difference to our ducks coming into the pond this opening!

This is the only photo I've taken, while testing, this one needs some paint on it and it's all go. Will give you an idea though.

Breda and gsp follower like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

That should provide good water movement when flapping also. I have two arms welded on my pole with decoys attached which shake and provide good ripples
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone

absolute bloody cracker my son -hope it fools em wiley mallards bigtime!

Very clever concept. The added bonus of the base quivering, creating ripples is great. Nice!
    Happy and gsp follower like this.
    Hunting is not a hobby.....its an addiction

Awesome stealing your idea. Great tool for changing ponds and take robby robo along to them all easy set up and away we go..

Thanks for the idea.
    JoshC likes this.
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..