Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 5 Post By luv2safari
  • 2 Post By luv2safari

Thread: Nevada Sagehen Hunt 2019

Nevada Sagehen Hunt 2019

We had a good population of "chickens" this season. Our limit is 2/day and 6 in possession. These great ancient grouse of the West are having a real tough time due to cheat grass proliferation and loss of sage, West Nile virus, and the destruction of habitat from mining and being overrun by wild (feral) horses. We limit what we take, and could have had twelve over the three day hunt.

These birds take many miles of walking through sage, and they're very wild. The average flush is at about 100 yards. They fly many miles, and we spot where they land. There's often a few that get a bit separated from the flocks, and these are where we get our shooting for the most part. Sometimes we get pass shooting as flocks get bumped out by partners or other hunters.

I like the birds as table fare. They have dark breasts, very large ones, and light legs and thighs. The more mature birds taste of sage, but that doesn't bother this old desert rat, who has spent 72 years tromping the sage.

We use full choked 12ga autoloaders with 3" shells and 1 1/2 to 1 7/8 ounces of 5 shot. The average shot we take is 35-50 yards.

Owen and I took two each opening day, and I took two the second day...Owen one. My little girl Griffon Rosie had a great time, but she doesn't like the smell of sagehen guts.

Name:  5299269894591.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  14.4 KB
    Name:  3993925812381.jpg
Size:  13.4 KB
    Name:  5243643412269.jpg
Size:  14.7 KB
    Last edited by luv2safari; 22-11-2019 at 06:13 PM.
    Hunt with Class and Classics

“I have more promises than a vestal virgin, less time than a parking meter and less results than a sterile sire.”

The second day's bag.

Name:  IMG_20191006_120236.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  2.60 MB
    hillclima and stingray like this.
    Hunt with Class and Classics

“I have more promises than a vestal virgin, less time than a parking meter and less results than a sterile sire.”