Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: a new quail possie.

a new quail possie.

Had a spare day so chucked in the hounds and went looking for some new country to hunt.

stumbled upon this wee gem, filthy with quail.

even managed to get a few.

6 for 10 shots recovered 5 lost one to the gorse.all in a lazy 3 hours, was a good wee outing.
    Just enough scrub to keep you honest in there too.

quail hunting in the hills is fun.
    distant stalker and Pointer like this.

You poor barstard.

Geeperz that reminds me,the bigest quail ive ever seen were just out of Martinbough on a friends property bout three weeks ago , huge birds and fat as .

What do you do with quail eat them?

I remember seeing them come out at dusk at the old farmlet in Canterbury, at least I think they were quail? Little purpley type things, half-ass at flying, wee alfalfa thing sticking up off their head. I was told that the dogs weren't supposed to chase them so thought they were some sort of protected NZ thing.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    What do you do with quail eat them?

I remember seeing them come out at dusk at the old farmlet in Canterbury, at least I think they were quail? Little purpley type things, half-ass at flying, wee alfalfa thing sticking up off their head. I was told that the dogs weren't supposed to chase them so thought they were some sort of protected NZ thing.
    Yes they are quail , they are on the duckshooting licence you are aloud 10 a day in most areas. They are I believe the nicest game bird to eat .you can pluck them or just breast them out ( don't even need a knife) . Quite a lot of meat for a little bird . And yes they can fly alright , short bursts and glide . They are also masters at running as are most upland game .
    Pointer likes this.

I reckon quail are the test of an upland dog. You have dream country by the looks of it, awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    I reckon quail are the test of an upland dog. You have dream country by the looks of it, awesome!
    Pointer I live in the south , but not south enough to hunt country like the above on a regular basis . High country quail and a pointer a match made in heaven .

Agreed Munsey, you far off chukar country? If you are then I'm your new best mate haha. I reckon there are some top notch opportunities for an upland dog down south. I always hear southerners whing about lack of pheasants, and I just dont understand whyt when they have country like that?

Pointer I'm2.5 hrs away from chukars , we normally do two or three tours , but this year we where let down as they are poisoning the shit out of the place we hunt on . So it was shut up , the other station that has only small numbers was sold . Don't know what The poison will do to the birds , we where so gutted we didn't ask what why or how.? . There had been a big burst in quail numbers as well , which had the station owners talking so we where looking forward to them as well .
    I'm up blenhelm looking for quails tomorrow morning ,inland from seddon just me and my dog can't wait is new country that had huge numbers of upland game in the good old days , worth a look.

You might find without predators the numbers might explode up there, pay to keep on the good side of the station manager! Good luck on the new ground tomorrow, always good fun, never know what to youll find. If you ever come this far north I'll swap you roosters for chukars

Nice country there Hami, notice all the pointer fans posting

Yep, good country for pointery types thats for sure.

we are currently looking at relocating south, i think the southerners have a gold mine for running dogs and spaniel country.
    as for the pheasants i really think it can be as good as the north island if not better, the land and cover only needs to be stocked for a few good years.

nice

do it kawia. and yea, some judicious stocking of phezzy populations and a tweak here and there to the regs and she'll be tops down here.
    Maybe throw some of that goose control money at it, since our license moneys ain't paying for them anymore.
    boom, instant bird hunters heaven.(more so)