Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Painting tips!

Painting tips!

Well this may be a moot point as I’ve just found out I’m unable to get away for opening weekend.....GUTTED!

So now i have some real time to prepare the decoys etc...... so i know that you can repaint your decoys to look better and new again, mine are well used and in some cases have small holes in them! (long story and it wasn’t me!)

I’ve been told that there are articles on how to do this but i can’t find them! Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks team!

Apparently the 2 biggest cunts on here lol Philipo's Avatar
    Issue 8 Jan/Feb 2009 of NZ Hunter mag had quite a good article in it
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!

Tertle, I know this nothing to do with repainting decoys, but I really enjoyed viewing the enfield website... despite all the other calibres, the old 303 has dealt to more critters than we collectively will have hot meals, oh, and the odd angry shot...

Edited to add: I reckon a waterproof satin finish poly spray would be the shot to finish off the repaint work. Test pots from Resene are a good start...
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Chris Dore did a good article in a mag.Someone may have it.Might be the one Phillipo mentioned.

Was going to repaint my parry silos today but next weekend now maybe.

Red oxide for parrie hens.

Quote Originally Posted by EeeBees View Post
    Tertle, I know this nothing to do with repainting decoys, but I really enjoyed viewing the enfield website... despite all the other calibres, the old 303 has dealt to more critters than we collectively will have hot meals, oh, and the odd angry shot...

Edited to add: I reckon a waterproof satin finish poly spray would be the shot to finish off the repaint work. Test pots from Resene are a good start...
    Thanks for the comments re the website, it was only meant to be a few images of some 303's and a couple of pages of general info........man was i wrong! But its fun and i do enjoy the old girls, a great part of our history and whole heap of fun to shoot!

As for resenes, i did a google search that gave a result of a 2003 resenes add covering off a promotion that they did for repainting decoys, ive emailed them to se if they still have a copy of the sheet with the paints etc

Philipo i will see if i can get a copy from somewhere? or i may just email them and see if they can electronicly send a copy, i dont mind paying! but thanks for that.

I have Paul Stennings article scanned and saved as PDF. Send me an email address and I will email to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
    Chris Dore did a good article in a mag.Someone may have it.Might be the one Phillipo mentioned.

Was going to repaint my parry silos today but next weekend now maybe.

Red oxide for parrie hens.
    Sorry got that wrong

Turtle / Dundee

Email sent.

Thanks for that. I will post the results when ive finished and another project that im working on......the poor mans moving/water pump/ decoy....... that is unless it explodes! then it will be a known as "ambush claymore decoys"!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tertle View Post
    Thanks for the comments re the website, it was only meant to be a few images of some 303's and a couple of pages of general info........man was i wrong! But its fun and i do enjoy the old girls, a great part of our history and whole heap of fun to shoot!
    Was the beneficiary of my father's .303...was rapped to find that the brass and cord pull through was still in the stock!!
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Yes there has been the odd ocassion when you open it to find the oiler and pull through still intact, tis a nice bonus. They are in themselves rather collectable as there were a few makers

Thanks Tertle very intersting.

Baz
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyke View Post
    I have Paul Stennings article scanned and saved as PDF. Send me an email address and I will email to you.
    Tyke, you wouldnt happen to have Paul Stenning's areticle on decoy care and maintenance by any chance? I have issue the 8 NZ hunter, but missed the first few issues.

Cheers.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Tyke, you wouldnt happen to have Paul Stenning's areticle on decoy care and maintenance by any chance? I have issue the 8 NZ hunter, but missed the first few issues.

Cheers.
    I would be keen on the decoy maintenance article as well is someone has scanned it. Also his recent article on feeding a pond.

Just given my parrie silos a touch up and one mallard turned parry now.
    Name:  P4053623.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  98.3 KBName:  P4053621.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  98.7 KBName:  P4053622.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  98.2 KB