Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Patternmaster

Patternmaster

Are these any good?in the latest hnf mag seem legit ,any real world experiences?shoot big public water with benelli m2 ,2 3/4in steel #3 usually.most shots around 40m. Thanks

I have one, have used it for a couple of opening days now and it does tighten up your pattern. I am going back to a three quarter choke for opening day this year as I am elevated up a bank so the ducks are very close and I feel I am missing them because I'm just too close. I would use again if I had to shoot longer distance.
    When hunting think safety first

Did you say Hunting and fishing magazine?

Those magazines are bad, ban em.
    mikee, DUCKHUNTER and outlander like this.
    Use enough gun

You’d think Beretta would know how to design a choke considering they’re close to 500 years old Save your money and spend it on extra ammo to see what patterns the best in your gun. Just my opinion though.

Yeah I use mine on my Beretta A300. Watch some you tube video's, there are some good ones where they are shooting birds out to very long ranges.

The claim for these things is that they even out the shot string reducing the tail and making for a more even disc of shot for the target to fly into.
    In theory its fine but I know someone with one who cant pick any difference on paper which pisses him off.

@7mm Rem Mag........ I use a mod/half choke and also have a 1/4 choke........the 1/4 is a heck of alot more forgiving at 35yards or less and the mod make me think I do better closer to 40yards...... its probably more in my head but I do drop more birds with the open choke
    the theory of tightening up the shot string is all fine n dandy untill you bugger up your lead estimation......sometimes a wider pattern and long shotstring can be your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    @7mm Rem Mag........ I use a mod/half choke and also have a 1/4 choke........the 1/4 is a heck of alot more forgiving at 35yards or less and the mod make me think I do better closer to 40yards...... its probably more in my head but I do drop more birds with the open choke
    the theory of tightening up the shot string is all fine n dandy untill you bugger up your lead estimation......sometimes a wider pattern and long shotstring can be your friend.
    Some good advice there

Hazzid
    Think some of the fancy chokes ur not ment to put fancy ammo though either when I say that I mean the ones with wads that are ment to do the same thing for you I’m not a 100 on it but I no I’ve got one that states in fine print not to not saying don’t try one just check it’ll match your ammo

I don’t use fancy ammo that’s for sure,good old falcon is all I use.

I patterned my gun the other weekend . I dont think mi will even bother with the pattern master choke this year. The A400 was exceptional at 40 yd s

full choke @ 40 yds . 76 pellets inside/on the circle = dead duck

IMP CYL @ 40 yds 63 pellets inside/on the circle = dead duck

Modified choke @ 40 yds . 53 pellets inside/on the circle = dead duck

Conclusion - I can cover my pond . The new beretta is awesome . Looking forward to making the feathers fly come the 4th .
    Dundee and gsp follower like this.

When you see the pallet spread on the cardboard you have to wonder how much killing power is left. I should try this but I might just get disappointed with the outcome. Thanks for posting this it is good to see what the spread is.
    outlander likes this.

Do the test. I did and found my gun was shooting way high and to the left. Sorted that now. Also my 1/4 choke gave the nicest even pattern out to 45 yards. The mod choke was a bit tighter but not as much as you'd think and wasn't anywhere as even. The beretta 1/4( imp cyl) choke on my 390 doesn't sit flush but protrudes out like an after market one would. I guess they were designed with steel shot in mind and the other chokes for both? With the limited testing I did the steel penetrated as much as lead with number 2 shot and I think 3 shot. The new fast steel is a big improvement over the original steel shot loads.

how many closed fists with your thumb sticking out can you put on those patterns without touching a pellet hole......thats the size n shape of mallards important bits. amazing what a different load can do to a pattern....
    7mm Rem Mag likes this.