Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Pheasant hunting without a dog?

Pheasant hunting without a dog?

Pheasant/quail hunting without a dog, any tips? I know I'll get a few runners but I'm really keen to get onto a pheasant or two this season and I don't have a dog.

Would mostly be hunting pines/gorse scrub.

Cheers,

Raging Bull

Make sure you run around sniffing lots and you'll get the hang of it, but as you are two-legged it is permissible to retrieve with your hands as opposed to your mouth.
    Make sure you stop and recall when your master asks too

Serious note, trying to bump roosters on foot can be hit and miss. find a mate with a bird dog near to you, let him work his dog, you shoot. everyone wins
    Dundee likes this.

Look for areas of Willow weed ,Ink weed or reeds to walk through. Walking Barberry hedge rows will produce birds too but really need a shooter either side.Or you could try a Pheasant call to locate the birds maybe .

PM me. Cooch and I intend to shoot the river (your local one) for pheasants with our dogs soon. You can hook up with us. I will be back and forth to PNth anyway so could bring my dog almost anytime and meet you at some spots. I wouldn't have to shoot, you can do that.

I've shot a few pheasants without a dog (or without my dog having a clue that they were there). My tip would be try to hunt areas that don't get much pressure (they are less likely to run) and don't make any noises that would give you away as being a human (rather than a sambar).

If you are keen I can take you for a pheasant hunt sometime - although I don't promise anything (just ask Popshot - I still owe him a pheasant).

Rich

Thank you all for the replies and offers. I'm heading out now for a look see (probably end up soaked) but better than being stuck inside.

Will send pm's when I'm back in later this evening.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich007 View Post
    I've shot a few pheasants without a dog (or without my dog having a clue that they were there). My tip would be try to hunt areas that don't get much pressure (they are less likely to run) and don't make any noises that would give you away as being a human (rather than a sambar).

If you are keen I can take you for a pheasant hunt sometime - although I don't promise anything (just ask Popshot - I still owe him a pheasant).

Rich
    It'll come eventually

Well the weather improved and it was a pretty pleasant evening walk/stalk even though I didn't get a pheasant.

I put up a few peafowl, a pheasant hen (in range but no go) and a rooster which flushed out of range.

On last light I even managed to stalk in on a couple of these (photos have been brightened up, it was pretty dark).

My efforts for the evening.

Looks like you need to carry a few slugs too

Without being critical it is an exercise in futility. Generally a pheasant is a smart animal. Without realising it you can walk past them i.e. a foot away and not notice them.Shot a few at my feet with my EP's.In heavily hunted areas they seem to adopt strategies to survive. Like a goat they will just drop down and not move without some pressure[ which comes from the smell of the dog's nose]. Used to do the hard way until I saw a top EP in action.Had to have one of them so ended up with 2.

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Raging Bull View Post
    Thank you all for the replies and offers. I'm heading out now for a look see (probably end up soaked) but better than being stuck inside.

Will send pm's when I'm back in later this evening.

Thanks again.

When does Pop Shot head away?
    Pick a weekend and we can all go for a walk, We put up a cock tonight trying to stalk a back water.

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

Quote Originally Posted by TeRei View Post
    Without being critical it is an exercise in futility. Generally a pheasant is a smart animal. Without realising it you can walk past them i.e. a foot away and not notice them.Shot a few at my feet with my EP's.In heavily hunted areas they seem to adopt strategies to survive. Like a goat they will just drop down and not move without some pressure[ which comes from the smell of the dog's nose]. Used to do the hard way until I saw a top EP in action.Had to have one of them so ended up with 2.
    do you still have pointers TeRei and who bred them

Quote Originally Posted by Shootm View Post
    Pick a weekend and we can all go for a walk, We put up a cock tonight trying to stalk a back water.
    Looking at leaving NZ last week of July/first week of August.

Sounds good

Quote Originally Posted by Shootm View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pop Shot View Post
    Looking at leaving NZ last week of July/first week of August.

Sounds good

Sounds great. Will be in touch.

look for areas with plenty of cover and bushy shit all over the place,like gorse etc... then go rumaging around in it making noises.... your bound to get onto em that way :-)