Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By mikee
  • 2 Post By upnorth uplander
  • 1 Post By mikee
  • 2 Post By johnd

Thread: Pheasant and Quail wings for training

Pheasant and Quail wings for training

Hey all,

Friend of mine has a pretty awesome Vizsla deer indicating dog and he's keen to do a bit of scent training for upland birds for the coming season, if anyone has got some wings lying about and could spare some that would be super.

Cheers

find a public area dog exercise area which has birds but not huntable (Nelson area this is some of the cycle trails) and exercise your dog there. If you have good control and there are a few birds about they pick it up real quick.

Personally the most important thing I want is the dog NOT to chase when bird is flushed. My reason is most miss behind with shotgun and I don't want my mates to shoot my dog!!
    Shot Bro likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    I was planning on skittling a cock pheasant or two this week... If the stars align would be happy to send.
    Quail population has been neglected, and I don't eat them anyway so not taking any of them.
    Yes please that would be sweet! I'll shoot you a pm.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    find a public area dog exercise area which has birds but not huntable (Nelson area this is some of the cycle trails) and exercise your dog there. If you have good control and there are a few birds about they pick it up real quick.

Personally the most important thing I want is the dog NOT to chase when bird is flushed. My reason is most miss behind with shotgun and I don't want my mates to shoot my dog!!
    My mates up in Northland, apparently they have some good pheasant numbers so I'll definitely let him know your methods and thanks for chiming in.

Talking to him yesterday, the dog is steady to shot (on deer) and works close so hopefully he'll figure it out all good.

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    I was planning on skittling a cock pheasant or two this week... If the stars align would be happy to send.
    Quail population has been neglected, and I don't eat them anyway so not taking any of them.
    out of season ?
    7mmwsm and mikee like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shot Bro View Post
    My mates up in Northland, apparently they have some good pheasant numbers so I'll definitely let him know your methods and thanks for chiming in.

Talking to him yesterday, the dog is steady to shot (on deer) and works close so hopefully he'll figure it out all good.
    One point I didn't make was avoid the nesting season its not really fair on the birds that are sitting on nests.
    We get away with it here as the area has a few birds and is a dog off leash exercise area and has hi people traffic and dog traffic. We dont have "heaps" like you guys in the North Island but we have Chukar
    Shot Bro likes this.

Is that chuckar, as in on the pheasant preserves where they chuck the half grown pen raised birds down a tube and launch them at the punters.
    mikee and Shot Bro like this.

Quote Originally Posted by upnorth uplander View Post
    out of season ?
    I'd say it would be pen raised mate.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    One point I didn't make was avoid the nesting season its not really fair on the birds that are sitting on nests.
    We get away with it here as the area has a few birds and is a dog off leash exercise area and has hi people traffic and dog traffic. We dont have "heaps" like you guys in the North Island but we have Chukar
    Very good point (pun indeed lol) I'll mention this to him. I'd love to come Chukar hunting if you ever feel like some company