Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Pheasants/Quail breeding season

Pheasants/Quail breeding season

Anyone seen come across nests, eggs, hatchings, chicks???
    Reports, Updates, Photos???!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Petros_mk View Post
    Anyone seen come across nests, eggs, hatchings, chicks???
    Reports, Updates, Photos???!!!
    Think I seen a peasant chick with a hen down east Papamoa beach last week on the 23rd. Never seen one before so guess it was ha ha. funny looking bird

Got a few pheasants round my place - just created a birdlife haven by killing predators for several years – no rats, possums and cats really works – but I do know there is a weasel round that I can’t catch
    I haven’t seen any chicks yet but must be close
    I nearly stood on a nest on Sunday – about half meter from her – she frightened the daylights out of me when she took off – had a quick look – seven eggs – hope she comes back – usually they do
    I was working round the patch one day last week – about 750m up a drive – in and out – worked on about 1ha of ground – saw 24 roosters and seven hens for the day – without even trying – that tells you what all the hens are doing – nesting
    Roosters are flat out crowing all day – doing their singing and dancing routine – lovely to watch
    Saw one big rooster yesterday that owns a patch of the bush line near where I was working – chased off another rooster several times – he had a couple of hens with him – they are quite territorial – he was in and out of the bush all day – spots me and he runs back in – then ten minutes later he is back out performing again
    Haven’t seen any quail chicks – but quite a few families around – groups of maybe ten – this guy came and sat on a ponga in the garden yesterday – about 5m away - he is the watcher - has his family all round feeding
    I am hoping for a population boom this year – so many quail and pheasants around
    Pointer, Dundee, EeeBees and 4 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by time out View Post
    Got a few pheasants round my place - just created a birdlife haven by killing predators for several years – no rats, possums and cats really works – but I do know there is a weasel round that I can’t catch
    I haven’t seen any chicks yet but must be close
    I nearly stood on a nest on Sunday – about half meter from her – she frightened the daylights out of me when she took off – had a quick look – seven eggs – hope she comes back – usually they do
    I was working round the patch one day last week – about 750m up a drive – in and out – worked on about 1ha of ground – saw 24 roosters and seven hens for the day – without even trying – that tells you what all the hens are doing – nesting
    Roosters are flat out crowing all day – doing their singing and dancing routine – lovely to watch
    Saw one big rooster yesterday that owns a patch of the bush line near where I was working – chased off another rooster several times – he had a couple of hens with him – they are quite territorial – he was in and out of the bush all day – spots me and he runs back in – then ten minutes later he is back out performing again
    Haven’t seen any quail chicks – but quite a few families around – groups of maybe ten – this guy came and sat on a ponga in the garden yesterday – about 5m away - he is the watcher - has his family all round feeding
    I am hoping for a population boom this year – so many quail and pheasants around
    Awesome!! cool as pic too

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Awesome!! cool as pic too
    +1 Brilliant report Time Out, well done on your pest control, thats your reward for being pro active......hope that weasel goes 'pop'........
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Nice work...
    I haven't been out since start of august to check out the places around Auckland.
    Went to Piha for the weekend to do some fishing of the rocks, took a drive up the road towards the end of the beach. heard few pheasant calls middle of Sunday with half the Auckland people out sight seeing on the beach. Obviously cocks don't mind it....

No good me telling you guys how to suck eggs cause I am just a learner on pheasants and quail – never shot one in my life
    Used to be a duck hunter – shot more than my share – but then lost the urge to kill birds - but I still shoot deer
    I have a 30 acre retreat in the BOP – 50/50 bush and grazing land – fenced off the bush and reverting more to native – I spend a bit of time tending to 2000 new native trees – I go there a few days each week
    So I spend time around their patch and where they used to always fly – now they often slope off along the ground
    The property has a large area of bush around it and neighbours are also into predator control – the bird numbers in general are amazing
    Although I don’t shoot – it is my hope that the birds we are breeding will disperse all round the district for the benefit of hunters
    I have always heard pheasants crowing but not often seen them – now I almost always see some of them singing and dancing – like in this clip (not mine) – I guess they are just putting on a show for the hens and probably sending an alarm about me being on their patch - Ring Necked Pheasant - YouTube

Speaking of the devils just drove home from work. Akoranga Drive SH1 off-ramp in Takapuna-Auckland I found this...
    Name:  521729_10151779045028892_1279350763_n.jpg
Views: 664
Size:  139.5 KBName:  559766_10151779044983892_82333669_n.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  114.2 KB

Suprised to see birds in such a populated area in almost central Auckland, and when I do see them they are usually run over...

When I was at the mankau super clinic I heard 3 different cocks crowing in the land next to the car park. Maybe you could run your dogs in there for practise?
    Pointer likes this.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Where they have cut the pines above my place there are now cock birds everywhere...haven't seen a hen for a while...must all be on the nests.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    When I was at the mankau super clinic I heard 3 different cocks crowing in the land next to the car park. Maybe you could run your dogs in there for practise?
    LOL... I'll train my dog to do parallel parking with the car while I'm at it

Hens around my place have gone to ground, must be on eggs. Cocks are everywhere, some with broken tails so must have been scrapping.

the Calis up the road are pairing off, won't be long before you see a whole pile of bumblebees on stilts following mum

My brownies here aren't laying yet but they can be funny. Here's hoping!

Heard yesterday of an incident where a KW stopped for allow a duck with her ducklings cross the road; in the end three KWs were lined up waiting!! The informant third truck in the row, is a great duck man!!
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

All this talk of breeding and young chicks , but still some dog trialists on here are training and running there dogs around nesting bird sites. The excuse of saying the birds happen to be there is bullshit.
    EeeBees likes this.

How many years do some of us have to write such a post, UU??? What do these people want?
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...