Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By Pointer
  • 2 Post By stug
  • 1 Post By tetawa
  • 1 Post By stretch
  • 2 Post By Spudattack

Thread: Pheasants and Turkey as pests on Private Property [Regulations Needed]

Juk

Pheasants and Turkey as pests on Private Property [Regulations Needed]

Hi everyone, I need help with understanding the regulations for this:

A good friend of the family owns a large property and land down near Whitianga, and are having trouble with Turkey's and Pheasants.

They don't have a firearms licence only an air rifle, and are not particularly adequate at controlling pest numbers - by any means. They mentioned they are happy with a friend and myself going down their to attempt to reduce numbers (they have no use for these birds), but I am concerned as they are considered game bird - it's out of season - and not F&G licenced.

So if someone can lay the law down before any of us do anything we will later regret will be HIGHLY appreciated. I very really deal with game bird except duck in season and licenced, so regulations off season I am unfamiliar with, I have been trying to decipher the Wildlife Act 1953, but anyone here with real life experience and knowledge is 10x more useful.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Juk; 07-11-2016 at 01:26 PM.

I'm pretty sure you could deal to problem pheasants with a special out of season destruction order like they do on parries, but you get alocated a certain amount to destroy and they cant be taken for the table.

I have to ask, who actually has a pheasant problem? Leave them for the shooting season and really knock them back.
    EeeBees, tetawa and mikee like this.

Juk
    Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    I'm pretty sure you could deal to problem pheasants with a special out of season destruction order like they do on parries, but you get alocated a certain amount to destroy and they cant be taken for the table.

I have to ask, who actually has a pheasant problem? Leave them for the shooting season and really knock them back.
    You would be surprised but that is a good point, could leave it til the next season. On that note, does the same apply for turkeys?

Turkeys are not a gamebird so have at them! Same with peacocks.
    mikee and Steve123 like this.

Got a mate in Whitianga who also has a Peacock problem but is too busy farming (and fishing) to deal with them. I know he has a couple of locals cull them from time to time with no issues
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post

No bugger that I know of up that way bothers with the pheasants. Heaps of them around the area.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

If you start cleaning out the turkeys the pheasants will probably move out on their own. The only problem with the turkeys they will be crap to eat over the summer months.

Quote Originally Posted by tetawa View Post
    If you start cleaning out the turkeys the pheasants will probably move out on their own. The only problem with the turkeys they will be crap to eat over the summer months.
    Still good eating this week tho!

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    Still good eating this week tho!
    Never kept them during any months with "R" in them.
    Danny likes this.

Caretaker
    That rule was made as the down feathers are really hard to get out during those months.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Yep. I was cautious too. Took one bird last week. Tasted great. Took three more this weekend. I think the guide about months with an R in them comes from the US. Opposite seasons, opposite saying. I understand they ONLY take them in a month with an R in it, since Thanksgiving is in NovembeR. That would exclude May-June-July-August. Someone reversed the saying for NZ, but that would mean we should only be eating them May-June-July-August. That excluded 8 months of the year, vs 4 months excluded in the US. Seems a bit extreme to me. Crickets aren't chirping yet, so Turkey = Tasty.
    Matt2308 likes this.

Are there any places that might like the Turkeys as feed for something? Three times I did turkey culls next to zion lion park and took thirty odd birds and feed them to lions, tigers and cheetah. Awesome fun all round

Sent from my workbench
    If i could have a full time job shooting pests i'm up for over time.

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    Yep. I was cautious too. Took one bird last week. Tasted great. Took three more this weekend. I think the guide about months with an R in them comes from the US. Opposite seasons, opposite saying. I understand they ONLY take them in a month with an R in it, since Thanksgiving is in NovembeR. That would exclude May-June-July-August. Someone reversed the saying for NZ, but that would mean we should only be eating them May-June-July-August. That excluded 8 months of the year, vs 4 months excluded in the US. Seems a bit extreme to me. Crickets aren't chirping yet, so Turkey = Tasty.
    Yeah, just check what is in their crop, if its full of grass and seeds you qre good to go, full of crickets then chuck it in the drain!

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk
    tetawa and smidey like this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Turkey breast goes well in a mixed meat salami as well.