Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Pheasants/ Upland Chat

Pheasants/ Upland Chat

How about some upland chat, share your pics, your dogs, how your season going, how's the bird population in your area, what shotgun are you using or looking at using.

It's been abit of a slow start for me this year, but I love every minute of being out there with the dog. I spend quite abit of time on the Rangitikei and very lucky to have it so close to home.

My first year shooting with an under and over instead of a semi and I think its going to be good.

Labs are easier to photograph Vizslas hunt better

Name:  pheasant 02.jpeg
Views: 361
Size:  1.23 MB

Name:  Rocket 01.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  5.15 MB
    hillclima, Dundee, stug and 8 others like this.

Nice, Like the wirehair VZ. Dont see many of those.
    Very average season for us so far. Weather has not played ball and neither have the birds.
    For me the shooting is a bonus, really its all about getting out with the dog on a nice day. Stress just melts away
    TeRei, Scouser and 20 Bore like this.

My EP's have caught more liveys than I have shot. Unreal.
    Blisters likes this.

I haven't caught a live pheasant yet but have had some very close calls, there have been a number of live pukeko captures which offers great entertainment, bloody little ginger thing is keener of them then she is the pheasants.

Is it just me or does anyone else feel like Fish and Game neglect the upland side of the sport? Just one of the things I ponder while walking along with the dog.

Quote Originally Posted by the.camo.butcher View Post
    I haven't caught a live pheasant yet but have had some very close calls, there have been a number of live pukeko captures which offers great entertainment, bloody little ginger thing is keener of them then she is the pheasants.

Is it just me or does anyone else feel like Fish and Game neglect the upland side of the sport? Just one of the things I ponder while walking along with the dog.
    In Nelson/Marlborough its quite the opposite with f&g organising block access/ balloted hunts and forestry access on behalf of hunters. For example all hunters need to do is book a block thru them and tey arrange access permits etc and fwd them to you

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    In Nelson/Marlborough its quite the opposite with f&g organising block access/ balloted hunts and forestry access on behalf of hunters. For example all hunters need to do is book a block thru them and tey arrange access permits etc and fwd them to you
    That's a good initiative, in fairness they do something similar in the Manawatu with forestry blocks.

How about some upland chat, share your pics, your dogs, how your season going, how's the bird population in your area, what shotgun are you using or looking at using.

It's been abit of a slow start for me this year, but I love every minute of being out there with the dog. I spend quite abit of time on the Rangitikei and very lucky to have it so close to home.

My first year shooting with an under and over instead of a semi and I think its going to be good.

Labs are easier to photograph Vizslas hunt better

Attachment 197559

Attachment 197560
    Nice vizla, is that from eddy,s kennel?, wharekuru or whatever he calls himself?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

No pheasants here in Eastern F&G area
    Pointer likes this.
    Everyone is entitled to their own stupid opinion

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    In Nelson/Marlborough its quite the opposite with f&g organising block access/ balloted hunts and forestry access on behalf of hunters. For example all hunters need to do is book a block thru them and they arrange access permits etc and fwd them to you
    Same here in the Taranaki region. Harakeke and Tauwhare forest ballots are run by F&G.
    Nukumaru is a coastal recreational reserve that is leased out to local farmers, you just contact F&G for a permit and map. the permit has contact numbers for the lease holders who are generally really good to deal with.
    mikee likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hillclima View Post
    Nice vizla, is that from eddy,s kennel?, wharekuru or whatever he calls himself?

Yea it is, crossed with a standard vizsla but has thrown looks wise to the wirehair. Goes really well alot hardier then a standard vizsla and hunts well.

Quote Originally Posted by 20 Bore View Post
    Same here in the Taranaki region. Harakeke and Tauwhare forest ballots are run by F&G.
    Nukumaru is a coastal recreational reserve that is leased out to local farmers, you just contact F&G for a permit and map. the permit has contact numbers for the lease holders who are generally really good to deal with.
    Might have to roadtrip up to the Naki coastal sounds like good fun.

Might have to roadtrip up to the Naki coastal sounds like good fun.
    It's definitely good fun. Waiinu beach campsite is a good place to stay for camping, or if camping in winter is a bit too much, stay at Ashley park. It's a petting zoo type setup with a campsite and huts out the back, hot showers, a big kitchen and a tv room with a fireplace. Last year it was $20 a night for a basic cabin and they were happy to have dogs. The Waitotora River mouth can have a lot of waterfowl especially geese too.

I walked that whole stretch at Nukumaru all they way to the river, I think its a 22KM round trip thats what the GPS showed I had done at any rate. Saw one hen right back at the campground, that was all. Would have been 7 or 8 yrs ago now.... hope the numbers have improved. Not a lot of drinking water available there so always best to take some for the dog too.

Yea it is, crossed with a standard vizsla but has thrown looks wise to the wirehair. Goes really well alot hardier then a standard vizsla and hunts well.
    Nice, im not a fan of the full wire, but looks like he's thrown a good mix. I have ones of eddys but he's thrown a relatively short coat. Hunts very well

Inder likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hillclima View Post
    Nice, im not a fan of the full wire, but looks like he's thrown a good mix. I have ones of eddys but he's thrown a relatively short coat. Hunts very well

Awesome looking dogs mate.