Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Petros_mk

Thread: Pigeons how to draw them in and knock them off with a .22?!

Juk

Pigeons how to draw them in and knock them off with a .22?!

How's it going?

Just wondering if anyone here has any good methods 'attracting' and 'hunting' pigeons (and by attracting I don't mean holding that sexy pigeon pose).

I'm using my 10/22, and have so far cleaned off 2 (wow) out of a colony of about 200, but since I don't have a shotgun handy, and prefer to shoot toward the ground, does anyone know what I can use to bait them to come down? They have been a problem for the last few years, and can only get a shot of when I get the chance - they aren't for eating, couldn't think of anything worse... maybe I could.... but;

Methods I have tried so far:

Decoys, they ain't having it, in fact it makes things worse?

Pigeon feed spread out and in small mounds other than that, no idea

Let me know what you think .... especially any of you pigeon whisperers.

Name:  a03c313793ffca258f5f34849aa07704.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  55.0 KB

If you are shooting with a single shot at a flock of 200 you won't make a dent in their numbers. They breed at a rate higher than your kill rate.

My first attempt would be to set up a proper blind next to a natural background e.g. hedgerow, scrub, trees, then I would plant decoys and arm yourself with a shotgun loaded with #5s or #6s and then its a waiting time. The more you kill the more decoys you will have to recycle.

Happy to come over and help you with the cull since you aren't far from me by the look of things...

Quote Originally Posted by Petros_mk View Post
    If you are shooting with a single shot at a flock of 200 you won't make a dent in their numbers. They breed at a rate higher than your kill rate.

My first attempt would be to set up a proper blind next to a natural background e.g. hedgerow, scrub, trees, then I would plant decoys and arm yourself with a shotgun loaded with #5s or #6s and then its a waiting time. The more you kill the more decoys you will have to recycle.

Happy to come over and help you with the cull since you aren't far from me by the look of things...
    +1

A quiet air rifle can work too, though better at night when they are roosting.

And don't say yuck until you have tried eating them.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Ok right 22 is not really the right tool. But if that's all you got, then try this.
    1. Don't shoot at large groups all your doing is educating them. Pigeons have a memory of around 10days from being shot at.
    So scare of the big group first by walking out and clapping. Then set up your hide and shoot the ones and twos as they return.
    Leave the dead ones out to draw in the others they act like decoys.
    It goes without saying to make sure you have a safe back stop and don't try to shoot them on the wing with your .22
    Good luck

Oh set your decoys no more than 25yards from your blind and have your back to the wind.
    They like to land coming into the wind.
    Also cover your face and try to keep your movements to a minimum.
    Also like gadget man says there good eating. I would only take the Brest son though as there a sod to pluck and gut.
    Good luck.