Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree13Likes
  • 2 Post By veitnamcam
  • 4 Post By jakewire
  • 2 Post By Happy
  • 1 Post By mikee
  • 1 Post By Lentil
  • 1 Post By veitnamcam
  • 2 Post By R93

Thread: Press release from Southland Fish and Game re sub gauge lead

Press release from Southland Fish and Game re sub gauge lead

Following our meeting last night here is a copy of the press release sent to the Southland Times earlier today:

At its meeting last night Southland Fish & Game recorded a decision to rescind an earlier resolution of the Council which would have introduced a lead shot ban throughout Southland in sub-gauge shotguns, generally 20 and 16 gauge, over a four year period.

The Southland Fish & Game Council resolved in February to phase out the use of lead shot in sub-gauge shotguns for hunting waterfowl over water. This would have completed the ban on lead shot use introduced in 2005 that applied to 12 and 10ga guns.

However, the proposal was met with opposition from some Southland hunters.

“As a result of over a hundred concerned hunters turning up to Southland Fish & Game meeting in June to express their concern, the Council met with representatives of the group in July for further consultation,” says Fish & Game manger Maurice Rodway.

“At its August meeting Fish and Game Southland voted to rescind its February motion to introduce a lead shot ban in sub-gauge shotguns. A new motion was then passed seeking a final decision from the New Zealand Fish and Game Council on the continued use of sub-gauge lead for waterfowl hunting over water.”

Hunter’s representative Clark Pirie commented that Mr Rodway and Fish and Game Councillors had taken time to carefully consider the issues raised by the hunter’s group and the short term pathway forward for what is an especially sensitive topic for all interested parties.

Currently, several other regional Fish & Game councils support a phase out of the use of sub-gauge lead shot for hunting over water and all regions have been gathering more data from hunters about the use of sub-gauge shotguns during the recent hunting season.

Given the effects of lead shot on the environment and waterfowl generally, game bird hunters agree that the use of lead shot for hunting waterfowl over water will continue to be an issue, as it has been in most other western countries.

The Southland Fish & Game Council recognises that concern of the hunter’s group over the banning of lead shot relates to the problems hunters have with adapting to the different ballistic characteristics of steel, however it believes with more education and changing hunting techniques these can be largely overcome. The hunters were also concerned about the consultation process the Council undertook.

Maurice Rodway
    Manager
    Fish and Game New Zealand
    Southland Region
    P O Box 159
    Invercargill 9840
    Mobile 021 221 5801

Ewen Pirie
    Sub Gauge Action Group
    03 2395859

R93
    Mike what is Ewen's stance on this? I have never heard of the sub gauge action group. Is it for a phase out or against?
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

They are against our original decision to phase out lead shot in Southland.

R93
    Cheers.

Disclaimer!
    I don't hunt birds or even use a shotgun much these days.

Is there any real hard scientific evidence that lead shot in the waterways when/if ingested by birds causes serious harm?
    How does this harm if any compare to the ingestion of rusting steel?
    And how does a lead pellet in living flesh compare with a lead pellet.?

As a non bird shooter and very very occasional shotgun user even i am aware that these days shot gun ammo is available that is non toxic and ballisticly superior to lead but it is very expensive. No doubt the keenest waterfoul hunters would use this ammo almost regardless of price if it patterned to there liking to have any advantage they can.

But what about the majority ?

I am interested mainly because we as hunters are becoming the easily overlooked minority in this country whatever your quarry .

The best thing we all can do as hunters for our sports recreation and animals is get more people involved.

Once again I don't hunt birds but from the outside looking in it looks like F&G are determined to turn the sport into a old boys club where only the rich can shoot on private land.
    That's a pretty extreme view of course but that's the way that from the outside it appears to be heading.

And bird hunting is not alone here.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    Toby and Happy like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Ahh, common sense prevails, next on the agenda, to get the steel shot 12g rule reversed.

Edited to say.
    I was a bit hasty, on reflection I doubt if it was common sense, at least not from the powers that be.
    Seems more likely a case of the common man at last standing up and saying NO.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    Ahh, common sense prevails, next on the agenda, to get the steel shot 12g rule reversed.

Edited to say.
    I was a bit hasty, on reflection I doubt if it was common sense, at least not from the powers that be.
    Seems more likely a case of the common man at last standing up and saying NO.
    And good on them for their united and organised approach. Well done !!
    Wirehunt and mikee like this.
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Disclaimer!
    I don't hunt birds or even use a shotgun much these days.

Is there any real hard scientific evidence that lead shot in the waterways when/if ingested by birds causes serious harm?
    How does this harm if any compare to the ingestion of rusting steel?
    And how does a lead pellet in living flesh compare with a lead pellet.?

As a non bird shooter and very very occasional shotgun user even i am aware that these days shot gun ammo is available that is non toxic and ballisticly superior to lead but it is very expensive. No doubt the keenest waterfoul hunters would use this ammo almost regardless of price if it patterned to there liking to have any advantage they can.

But what about the majority ?

I am interested mainly because we as hunters are becoming the easily overlooked minority in this country whatever your quarry .

The best thing we all can do as hunters for our sports recreation and animals is get more people involved.

Once again I don't hunt birds but from the outside looking in it looks like F&G are determined to turn the sport into a old boys club where only the rich can shoot on private land.
    That's a pretty extreme view of course but that's the way that from the outside it appears to be heading.

And bird hunting is not alone here.

I payed 45 bucks this year for a single box of 20g Steel and it was Shit. Booted me into next week, tough on my gun and me, Absolute bollocks for pattern though it killed like thor inside 15-20 yards aftr that woundie city. Went back to lead and happy days to 40+ yards. If I were shooting ducks more than occaisionally I couldn't afford the volume of ammo I would need with my lousy shooting. Where as its 100 bucks for a slab of 5's or 6's or 7's, and you know the volume I shoot . Given us sub-guage users are a very small percentage of total it was really only window dressing anyway. More about been seen to do something than actually doing something. We (sub-guage shooters) must be hell on wheels hunters if the reason for bugger all ducks is us
    Common Sense has prevailed, wha hooooooo
    R93 likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

It seems to me that this is just a "stay of execution" ie. they have kicked the problem back to F&G NZ to get a ruling. The fight is not over, but it is a ruling that can be referred to if other councils look at introducing the sub-guage lead ban - so good on you Southland hunters who had an imput.
    Munsey likes this.
    Everyone is entitled to their own stupid opinion

Typo in my above post .
    It should have read.
    How does lead shot in living flesh compare to steel shot(rusting) in living flesh.?

Toby likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

R93
    Hats off to the hunters in southland who stood up to be counted. Well done. We sub gauge enthusiasts owe you big time!
    The thing that pissed me off most about the whole deal was the fact a governing body chose to implement something without a care in the world about the cost it has on sub-gauge users. Pretty much making our guns, worthless. If you had to use steel by law, your going to use it in the most powerful form you can and thats simply a 12g.
    I have to say I enjoyed what little shooting I got this year after almost not bothering with buying a licence. I am actually looking forward to next season.
    mikee and Happy like this.

The 20g Benelli is more lethal than the 12g Benelli on pheasants. Awesome calibre.

[QUOTE]The Southland Fish & Game Council recognises that concern of the hunter’s group over the banning of lead shot relates to the problems hunters have with adapting to the different ballistic characteristics of steel, however it believes with more education and changing hunting techniques these can be largely overcome. The hunters were also concerned about the consultation process the Council undertook.
    [/QUOTE
    better late than never i guess
    )
    The thing that pissed me off most about the whole deal was the fact a governing body chose to implement something without a care in the world about the cost it has on sub-gauge users
    yes and the fact that they tryed to undermine the nz councills all ready stated position on subgauge lead.perhaps if they,d tryed a unheard of process called goin to their constituents first

mike that was a sidestep worthy of an allblack winger.had your council pursued it -youd have been as popular as Gerry Brownlee at a lianne dalziell fanclub morning tea!
    in view of recent political activity ,i dearsay you guys may well be the trendsteers as the irate natives rise and roar.

Ejected
    With the amount of empty mai mai's and ponds plus the lack of duck shooters I think it's irrelevant. In a short time it will be void....