Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Quail in canterbury

Have been putting the hours in trying to locate quails but havnt put up one bird yet. Dogs been putting up roosters , so he's working ok. I'm hoping it's because it too early and they not coveyed up yet .?. Young dog would easily mis them, or numbers are low. There is a lot of long grass as it's been so wet over Sumer , I'm pretty sure that's not good for breeding. Don't need to know where but if anyone has come over some , or can fill me in on there take on Canterbury quails , I'd be great full .

R93
    I will pm you some of my old spots later. I havnt been for a season or 2 but they should still be worth a look.

There are quail around most of the rivers in Canterbury, Waimak, selwyn, Ashley, etc
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

the mak, selwyn and rakaia is where I hunt quail, hunted selwyn and mak on sat and put up some good coveys

landlock thats good to hear. Was hoping they would be around somwhere. Looked up the ashley on sunday , looked ok in places but very overgrown would be hard hunting . A bit like the mak , never had luck there once they flush you never see them again. How about you ?

R93
    Frosty morning is best! If you can see where they land after they flush get there as quick as you can and let the dog cover it quickly they will usually run a ways if they hit the ground. Sometimes putting a shot over them will have them on the deck sooner. Hunt where they have flushed from if you didnt see where the covey went. There is always a few stragglers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. So forgive my Outbursts and my sausage fingers and thumbs!
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post
    landlock thats good to hear. Was hoping they would be around somwhere. Looked up the ashley on sunday , looked ok in places but very overgrown would be hard hunting . A bit like the mak , never had luck there once they flush you never see them again. How about you ?
    once you find out where they are it makes it alot easyer, if they are close to thick cover sumetimes you have to get on the shitty side of them, they usually flush away from you so try get them to flush towards the open and then hunt the stragglers, you usually get a couple of goes at them