Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Somethings to just have a look through..

Somethings to just have a look through..

Stuff news article

Native Bird Study First Of Its Kind | Stuff.co.nz

DOC Mallard Research site

Mallard Duck Research | Fish & Game NZ

Cheers Happy
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

Yeah Happy, i got the same email.....after cutting 'our season' by half but still charging the same fee, they're now talking about banning 'motorised decoys' !!!!!!....whats next, you cant bring a shottie......FFS
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Scouser View Post
    Yeah Happy, i got the same email.....after cutting 'our season' by half but still charging the same fee, they're now talking about banning 'motorised decoys' !!!!!!....whats next, you cant bring a shottie......FFS
    Sweet cheep decs and shotties for us down south .
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Save themselves $300,000 and just ban steel

I Wasn't posting about any of the above. More about the fact they at least got a big ass research event well under way and the stories in the article about decimation of the ducks nests and ducklings that they have seen with the cameras. The results will be interesting when they come in Its looking like nearly everything they got pics of has been eaten by some kinda pest ..

The Vid on their faceplant page of the kitten is scary. Its tiny yet two visits from that and another in one night.... Not to mention Ficin Harry Hawk with a whole egg in its fuckin gob ...

Yes I m as pissed as everyone with their total apparent lack of knowledge and effort and dont start me on the fees ....

But gotta give David and Waikato team some kudos for their

efforts as I m sure they are doing the hard yards as well.. So stop shooting wild cats and hawks you se buggers ... ¡ ☺☺☺☺

Got some wild cat targeting to do this weekend actually ...

Cheers Happy
    distant stalker likes this.

If they put hawks on the pest list it could help.
    Happy likes this.

Puts all the efforts of reducing season length/bag limits into perspective. The real problem seems to be lack of suitable habitat, where ducks can raise a brood to maturity, and provide ample food and safety for adult birds. It is no wonder that up here in the North, habitat has shrunk considerably over the last 50 years, and so have duck numbers. I have a sneaking suspicion that encouraging the fencing of drains, and planting cover in those margins, would have a greater effect than reducing the season length. That would require buy-in from farmers etc. Unfortunately, the "dirty dairying" campaign by F&G, although commendable for cleaning up waterways, will mean that farmers are unlikely to buy in to any fencing/planting initiative.
    Bloody hell Happy - see what you have started. It's me ranting again.
    Everyone is entitled to their own stupid opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Lentil View Post
    Puts all the efforts of reducing season length/bag limits into perspective. The real problem seems to be lack of suitable habitat, where ducks can raise a brood to maturity, and provide ample food and safety for adult birds. It is no wonder that up here in the North, habitat has shrunk considerably over the last 50 years, and so have duck numbers. I have a sneaking suspicion that encouraging the fencing of drains, and planting cover in those margins, would have a greater effect than reducing the season length. That would require buy-in from farmers etc. Unfortunately, the "dirty dairying" campaign by F&G, although commendable for cleaning up waterways, will mean that farmers are unlikely to buy in to any fencing/planting initiative.
    Bloody hell Happy - see what you have started. It's me ranting again.
    I know what you are saying. IMO you're quite right It's bloody hard work !, Did you know it's not ranting so long as you making sense !,

Cheers Happy

FFS ok heres my little piss fueled rant.

Didn't read the links Happy cause I read the replies that sums it up

The farmer campain Lentil is in full force with fonterra having all waterways fenced!

Those bloody cats yes they disapear around this neighbourhood....except Sylvester

And those farkin hawks are on schedule 2 now so shoot the fukas
    Happy likes this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

I Wasn't posting about any of the above. More about the fact they at least got a big ass research event well under way and the stories in the article about decimation of the ducks nests and ducklings that they have seen with the cameras. The results will be interesting when they come in Its looking like nearly everything they got pics of has been eaten by some kinda pest ..

Yeah Happy, i read them too....nearly all the Duck clutches wiped out.....total crap......

Yeah Lentil, and even 'if' they get rid of the pest species (fish) the waterways are still fouled for the duck population....total crap again

The reason i posted this?......if we have a 'daily limit'....its still a 'daily limit' if we use motorised decoys or not!!!!....whats next, no Duck callers, no duck decoys....makes no fukin sense, really getting sick of the bullshit......

The reason i posted this?......if we have a 'daily limit'....its still a 'daily limit' if we use motorised decoys or not!!!!....whats next, no Duck callers, no duck decoys....makes no fukin sense, really getting sick of the bullshit......
    You are right limit is the limit. Maybe there are still heaps of people out there taking too many ?? We ll be allowed two dekes and no more than 3 rounds of ammo per person in the mai mai ha ha ha

They are trying really hard to limit your take to less than the daily limit... Lets see what next season brings ... My pond is looking awesome with the spring growth..
    Scouser likes this.

I'm not sure why anyone needed to read the article or Mallard Research page in order to understand that predation of nests and newly hatched ducklings had a huge impact on the productivity of our Gamebirds. If you did, then you must be living under a rock or have your head in the sand about the extent of the problems with our Gamebird populations! All its doing it quantifying what you should have already known FFS!

So since all those who have posted on this thread have read about the effects to date (even on that very small sample size!), how many of you are getting off your arses this weekend and setting traplines to reduce the predator population? Its eaasy to piss and moan and demand a reduction in licence fees, but few put their money where their mouth is and go do something about it.

'Its eaasy to piss and moan and demand a reduction in licence fees, but few put their money where their mouth is and go do something about it'.

Hi gqhoon, im on your side mate, (believe it or not) im not 'demanding' anything! but if another wildfowl hunter who pays exactly the same fee as me gets twice as long to use it, i 'expect' to pay less.....and im pretty sure
    if i go along the banks of the mighty Waikato where i hunt, setting traps and trying to shoot/catch pests, ill be on the wrong side of the law in no time and lose my FAL........

just my angry 2c worth, had to get it off my chest, if my 'double fee' cash is going into conservation, those who get paid to do it....can!

Just had a reply from the 'Fish & game Auckland & Waikato region'......you can guess what my email concerned.......his reply.....

'So far there doesn’t appear to be any clear consensus on mechanical decoys by hunters with strong views both ways.'

Best regards

Ben Wilson
    Chief Executive
    Fish & Game Auckland/Waikato Region

Bet my 'left hairy nacker' i will have to sell my 'flappy duck' before the year is out, or find another region to hunt in!