Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Lentil

Thread: Steel shot-a great article

Steel shot-a great article

When non-toxic shot became compulsory, I set about trying different shotgun shell brands and loads, doing pattern tests and penetration tests. I settled on some loads which proved OK, but I was disappointed in the pattern densities. Over the years, shells have become faster, and I switched to the fast loads of 1-1/8 in 3" shells. These grunty shells have played havoc with my (and my son's) shotguns, meaning I have had to buy replacement parts (action bar sleeves and the bar itself). They have been fractured in both our shotties.
    The last couple of years we have been trying some 2-3/4" shells for the first shot for decoying ducks with good success, but I have suspected that we may have been limiting ourselves with the reduced patterns of the 1-1/8 3" shells with bigger pellets on the longer shots.
    In the latest NZ Hunter magazine, there is a great article by Paul Stenning about this very subject - density v speed, and if you have been having doubts about your patterns using the ultra fast loads, then I reckon you should read that article. I personally found it backed up what I suspected. I really should have done more testing of the new fast loads, but I bought into the write-ups from the retailers.
    I know I will be testing my loads for this year.
    Everyone is entitled to their own stupid opinion

Horses for courses no hard and fast rules regarding steel shot selection. I ran a pattern master choke last year and had good results, I tend to stack my shells in my semi #4 / #2 /#4 / #2
    #4 1st shot in close #2 for going away shots everyones hunting situation can be different I shoot public water lot's of sky busting and overcalling sometimes you just have to take the opportunity that presentthemselves can be a case of fast or your last

Just another outdoors addict
    I (along with many others in the know) have been using 2 3/4 shells in smaller shot for years. Falcon, NSI, and Clever are good examples of shells I have used very successfully. The main problem is they don't have the marketing resources of some.

I haven't seen the article but it can only be a prelude to a larger retailer pushing the smaller shot line which is excellent. I've felt for a long time this big shells big shot campaign showed a lack of respect for the resource(gun issues aside). I am glad Paul got the nod as I am sure he is one that quickly fell in with the smaller shot users a few years back also.

the poms have for years reckoned steel 5s/6s are a highly effective close to medium steel load.
    mate of mine can kill them at most distances with gamebore 2 3/4 inch 3s with 2s for geese.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Allen View Post
    I (along with many others in the know) have been using 2 3/4 shells in smaller shot for years. Falcon, NSI, and Clever are good examples of shells I have used very successfully. The main problem is they don't have the marketing resources of some.

I haven't seen the article but it can only be a prelude to a larger retailer pushing the smaller shot line which is excellent. I've felt for a long time this big shells big shot campaign showed a lack of respect for the resource(gun issues aside). I am glad Paul got the nod as I am sure he is one that quickly fell in with the smaller shot users a few years back also.
    We used NSI last year, but they are not bringing in any this year. I'm going to have a test with Falcon, and probably use #4 for first shot, then follow up with #3's. Nah - who am I kidding. I will mostly be on the video camera
    Breda likes this.
    Everyone is entitled to their own stupid opinion