Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JayColli

Thread: Thanksgiving Turkey Hunt

Thanksgiving Turkey Hunt

Thanksgiving is up and coming, which I guess isn't a big thing in NZ but it happens to be one of my favorite holidays and I don't intend to miss out this year! I'll be in the Taupo area in late September and would love to get out to bag a bird or two for the big roast. If anyone thinks they could help a canuck out in bagging his first turkey I'd be glad to return the favour with a bit of prime pheasant hunting in my homeland or a case of beer/$$$ per kg of bird.

Cheers,

- Jay C.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    redbang likes this.

Re: Thanksgiving Turkey Hunt

I can orginise to shoot a hundred turkeys a day if you want. There bloody pests over here mate. Your only.ment to be able to eat them june july august. But i never have cause they stink like shit and some have lice

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

R93
    I miss Thanksgiving. I miss hockey and the smell of vinegar on chips at the rinks.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Hey Jay - I dunno what your situation is for your dinner etc but I would be more than happy to have a fellow Canadian and his family round for a dinner. For the stanley cup final last year I organised a bunch of yanks and canucks to get together in a Nelson pub to watch the game. We had a great time sharing old stories and of course watching the hockey and doodling with the toddlers.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Hey mate

Pretty sure someone will let you shoot heaps of turkeys, only issue is your timing, you can eat turkey you shoot in any month without an "R" in it (opposite for the northern himisphere), reason for this is that they eat the newly hatched insects (mainly crickets) and it makes them taste aweful. Won't hurt you but won't taste very good!
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Awww crap, I wish I had of known that a few weeks ago! I'd still love to try picking off a few with the .22 as a festive activity though and it's the least I can do for NZ after having taken such good care of me ha ha. I'd still try to do something with the breast meat to garnish the thanksgiving bird, which is looking more and more like a chicken... Maybe some well-seasoned turkey sausages to cover up the insect taste eh? Thanks again for the sound advice guys!

If all else fails, A E Preston & Co (butchers) should be able to sort your out. The shop can be accessed off Arlington Street, they used to have a range of birds (Turkey, Duck, Chicken etc), when I couldn't get out of the city for a hunt I would stock up with meat from there.

Theres a pretty decent Asian store (Yai's Supermarket) there too.

A E Preston & Co
    34 Hopper Street, Mount Cook 6011
    04-385 6118 ‎
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded