Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By EeeBees

Thread: Trials, Mounties and Stubble Quail

Trials, Mounties and Stubble Quail

It has been a good few years now that I have wanted to attend the Club l'Epagneul Breton of Victoria (Australia)'s trial so the resolution was made that this year would be the year. With an invitation to also go and see stubble quail and ducks, I simply could not pass it up.

The club's trial ended with a French Brittany qualifying for her field trial championship title. There were also Vizslas and German Shorthair Pointers running. A very cold morning burnt off into a very hot day and I was in awe of both how the dogs and handlers worked the fields in such heat. Those dogs that qualified for the second round also had to complete a blind water retrieve. The lack of dew or any moisture in the grass meant the quail were not in any mood to be 'sticky' with many being runners...and boy can those little birds run, and can they fly. It was also of interest to me to see that we were in the company of a kestrel for most of the day, hanging in the air waiting for a quail to make a flight path error.

Then it was off to do some quail shooting. Another hot day with the quail ready to fly like lead out of a .270 on steroids, the dogs were tested. Some excellent work resulted in good bags, which not only proved to be fantastic shooting but utterly delicious in the pot!

The following day my host and hostess took me to a lake for a spot of duck shooting. Two friends also joined us for the late night set up of decoys and makeshift maimai's. The very early morning start, although very cold, saw some birds coming into the decoys, then as the dawn passed, a screaming wind came up and the birds left for the sheltered shores some kilometres away. It was difficult to picture that many of these lakes had been dry for many years until last year.

It was a fantastic week having the opportunity to meet gundog people and see the birds that they and their dogs have to contend with.
    veitnamcam, Pointer and Dundee like this.

When based in Victoria I attended a few, Blew my mind compared to NZs trials

I thought the very thing too when walking behind the judge, Pointer.

The Mountain duck is a shelduck like our Paradise Duck.

But it is the Woodies aka Wood Duck that is my favourite. There are also the Grey and Chestnut Teals. The Grey Teal was self introduced into New Zealand during the drought of 1957.

Queer rule about backing though right?

Awsome report!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    Queer rule about backing though right?

Yes, especially for the novices it does seem a little harsh....backing was difficult on occasions simply due to the conditions and the birds running, so some brace partners were disadvantaged certainly.

Yeah, seeing a dominant finder out hunt everyone else all day only to not get a placing because it hasn't "filled it's card" as they say, because it hasn't been seen backing?!? Silly rule