Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lophortyx

Thread: Upland game vest.

Upland game vest.

What do people use? Good suppliers? In nz?

i've had several.main compliant they end up too hot or too heavy if wet. so would recommend a skeleton vest,minimum weight and versatile. i never saw a good one here in nz. the L.L. Bean site upland game has some of the best most practical gear you can buy.they are a great company, pay with visa or paypal. i did not get hunter orange(mandatory in the usa), because high flying pheasants will spot you,as will ducks etc. if i want to wear orange if shooting in a group,i wear an orange cap.

I have bought clothing from them as well...great service. In my experience, women's clothing is always bigger there than here so you have to be careful with measurements or be prepared to have alterations done...

Here's the link to the vest department!

Hunting and Fishing | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

We have been out with the dogs recently using Ridgelines new Shoveler Game Vest. Found them lightweight and comfortable. Plenty of pockets, shell loops and a spacious lined game pouch

Quote Originally Posted by lophortyx View Post
    i've had several.main compliant they end up too hot or too heavy if wet. so would recommend a skeleton vest,minimum weight and versatile. i never saw a good one here in nz. the L.L. Bean site upland game has some of the best most practical gear you can buy.they are a great company, pay with visa or paypal. i did not get hunter orange(mandatory in the usa), because high flying pheasants will spot you,as will ducks etc. if i want to wear orange if shooting in a group,i wear an orange cap.
    Lophortyx hit the nail on the head. Go a skeleton/mesh one, light, folds up to nothing, and water isn't an issue. I Use a cabelas one, cheap and available online. MY only complaint about it is I think its designed as a trap vest as the game pocket is quite small. That said I've never managed to fill it, still holds three pheasants at a stretch which is more than I ever manage in a day for me

You're getting well organised, Horse won't be here till end of season though will he?

Quote Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
    What do people use? Good suppliers? In nz?

I've got myself a Pella Bird 'n Lite Upland Pack Vest from the US. Sort of has a small back pack on top of the game bag...

Plenty of space for water, unsuccessful empty shells, and given that I hunt pretty chunky blocks I tend to walk from morning right through lunch, so there is plenty of space for food. Its a bit of an overkill for North Island Pheasant hunting. For South Island high country chukar hunts I think it would be perfect.

I bought it because there is a lot of room (Plus it had no orange on it) and it had a strap around the waist so the whole thing doesn't bounce around when I walk. It also doesn't make me sweat more than I usually do anyways. you feel the sweat once you take the vest off.
    Rain? I got caught in the rain once, stood well. Hunted again the next day with it, no fuss....
    Weight - I'm a small fellow and it still hasn't affected me yet. I just have a thermal and a t-shirt under the vest, so it actually keeps me warm.

Quote Originally Posted by hillclima View Post
    You're getting well organised, Horse won't be here till end of season though will he?
    Yeah just thinking really. Shot a few ducks at my brothers last week and they were a pain to carry back from the river...

Thanks guys the webbing type setups look the go, especially with a water pack on the back...

another thought.LL Bean do an upland day pack.the distinguishing feature is that it only has one shouder strap,so if you are left or right handed you have always your gun shoulder unimpeded.it has a good hip, waist strap.the beauty of this set up is that you can carry wet weather gear,camera,food, water etc,great for an all day hunt.a great piece of kit.
    Petros_mk likes this.