Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: What to do with unwanted ducks

What to do with unwanted ducks

Hi all,

I have done a bit of duck shooting in the past and usually give them away as I don't like eating them.

Problem is I don't know of anyone who wants them this year and I think it would be disrespectful to the ducks if they were not eaten.

Where I go deer hunting there are heaps of parries that sqwark their heads off so I was going to de-populate the buggers come opening day but what would I do with them?

What do you guys think?
    When hunting think safety first

They make fantastic salami and beir sticks
    stingray, Micky Duck and MB like this.
    #DANNYCENT

Hmm I haven't tried that
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mm Rem Mag View Post
    Hmm I haven't tried that
    Good use for goose too, generally chuck all my birds into salami and beir sticks, only eat a few fatter late season birds
    7mm Rem Mag likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

I'm in the Naki, happy to take some leg/thighs and breasts too. Happy to help shoot them also lol
    dannyb likes this.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

if you arent going to eat them...dont shoot them......if nothing else,breast them all out and take to butcher to make into salamis....plurry good tucker.
    its like a lot of game meat...all in how you cook them.
    7mmwsm, tetawa, rugerman and 7 others like this.

We sometimes mince up parry and goose breasts with beef pork and fatand condiments to make sausage patties or meat balls. Delicious. Can include other ducks same way.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Quote Originally Posted by Jhon View Post
    I'm in the Naki, happy to take some leg/thighs and breasts too. Happy to help shoot them also lol
    Pitty you wern't down south Island, they would be all yours
    Jhon and dannyb like this.

If you dont eat 'em, dont shoot 'em! But, if you do shoot 'em, as said above, they make good mince, patties, sausages, sav's and salami's. Your local butcher wont be too happy if there is steel shot in them though, tends to fook up good mincer plates. Parries and geese have big enough breast that you can slice them in to decent sized schnitzel, crumb and quick fry, on to the plate with a bit of Hollandaise Sauce. Or crumb them with Coat and Cook for something a bit different. Or cut the breasts into smallish cubes, crumb with the Spicy Coat and Cook and deep fry in to duck nuggets. And when you're breasting them out, its so close to get to the legs. Take them out and find a comfi duck recipe [think thats how you spell it] Wild ducks and geese have very little fat so you will need to add some fat to make up for it. Then once done in a dish and left to go cold you can pull a leg out and eat it as is, or pull apart for sandwiches, or refry for a few legs for a hot meal.
    7mm Rem Mag and slk12 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Husky1600 View Post
    If you dont eat 'em, dont shoot 'em! But, if you do shoot 'em, as said above, they make good mince, patties, sausages, sav's and salami's. Your local butcher wont be too happy if there is steel shot in them though, tends to fook up good mincer plates. Parries and geese have big enough breast that you can slice them in to decent sized schnitzel, crumb and quick fry, on to the plate with a bit of Hollandaise Sauce. Or crumb them with Coat and Cook for something a bit different. Or cut the breasts into smallish cubes, crumb with the Spicy Coat and Cook and deep fry in to duck nuggets. And when you're breasting them out, its so close to get to the legs. Take them out and find a comfi duck recipe [think thats how you spell it] Wild ducks and geese have very little fat so you will need to add some fat to make up for it. Then once done in a dish and left to go cold you can pull a leg out and eat it as is, or pull apart for sandwiches, or refry for a few legs for a hot meal.
    as said but id add the flock parries breasts baked in milk take some beating
    Husky1600 and 7mm Rem Mag like this.

Off track but lean wild pork cooked in milk comes out like the brought stuff.
    7mm Rem Mag likes this.

Thanks guys, I will not shoot and waste them and some of the suggestions are very good so thanks again.

All of the above is worth a try and could be tasty.

If there is anyone in the North Otago area who would like some ducks pm me and if there is enough interest then I will head out this seaon and I will try some with suggestions above.

If no one wants any I may forget about going and just stick to hunting deer.
    dannyb likes this.

No ethical issues culling parries or Canadas for me. No different from shooting possums or rabbits and not eating them (except they have feathers of course). But if you are intent on someone eating them I am sure putting something on Facebook will get you lots of takers.
    7mm Rem Mag and slk12 like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    No ethical issues culling parries or Canadas for me. No different from shooting possums or rabbits and not eating them (except they have feathers of course). But if you are intent on someone eating them I am sure putting something on Facebook will get you lots of takers.
    Yeah the farmer hates them. They shit in the water troughs which pisses him off.

They annoy the shit out of me when hunting, you try to stalk in on a deer and the bloody parries start cycling over head swalking their heads off

If u want a hand culling them let me know
    Shearer and 7mm Rem Mag like this.