Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By 223nut

Thread: what a fuckin surprise

what a fuckin surprise

now i.l admit that i purloined this from next door but in my defence i have been vocal about how they stole the selwyn river in the first place
    Print Post
    Canterbury has some great rivers for upland bird hunting.

One of these is the Selwyn river.

I've only ever seen it flow once above SH1 in my short two years in Canterbury so far. It has some great hunting and the section on the true right above SH1 was where i learnt to hunt and train my dog. Its a special place for me for these reasons and i could always count on this stretch to produce quail coveys of 30+ birds. It was great fun so with sadness i now tell the story of its demise.....

It started with a fence.....
    20160927_133924.jpg

At first myself and a few other weren't too worried. There were still large areas unfenced that held good bird numbers.

But no. A new pivot was spotted and suddenly.....

20160927_134213.jpg

20160927_135720.jpg

Cry Cry

A very sad loss. Unfortunately it seems to be subject to ad medium filum rights so once the water stopped flowing it was only a mater of time before the land was reclaimed. A bit of a catch 22 as some may argue water take for irrigation stopped the water flowing and now land is being reclaimed in order to make more irrigated land Roll Eyes.

If you've ever hunted the selwyn or used it for recreation then go have a look on the true right (and even riverbed proper) above SH1. It may shock you how much land has been flattened and reclaimed.
    cheeky greedy bastards i knew the worm was turning when they temp fenced and grazed it above the railway bridge .
    one comment was ''theres the rakaia just down the road''
    true but not the point and for how long given the new schemes piling on it

Synlait for ya. No morals, no conscience, and it's being passed onto farmer

If the grass dosnt grow because the land isn't suitable then don't have a cow farm there , Canterbury is like a big rocky sieve what ever gets put on basically runs straight through to the aquifer or whats left of it...down here in the land of milk & honey we have fairly heavy soils & a good supply of rain so not to many irrigators even so the aquifer has shrunk a lot & water quality isn't the best talking to a ES councillor hopeful a couple of days ago he reckoned that fert wasn't the problem as the grasses mostly absorbed it he,s saying its the cow piss is where the problem starts with an average cow wee being 20 litres x how many times a day ! gezz work that out 20Lx600=1200 x 365 = 438000 seems like a crazy amount of piss to me

how long before the aquifers start sucking in saltwater?

@Boaraxa it get scaryier 20*600 = 12000 not 1200
    Boaraxa likes this.

after seeing the setup of the beef pad at wakanui exemplary[even tho the craps piped right out to sea]the pictures of the set up in hawkes bay looks like some budget 3rd world built alternative
    its proximity to the tuki tuk and if the pictures are right poorly controled efluent handling make it a eyesore as well as a eco,timebomb

the rakaias suffering the flows at this time of the year sans floods shouldnt be this meagre looking
    . they,l fuck it to if we dont stop ecan rubber stamping process for water consents.
    i think its fairly clear the selwyn above dunsandel or even below it is dead
    . exept for when its to flooded for them to handle that grand theft as opposed to the normal daily theft going on now,.
    What is the Hawkes Bay one?
    sorry mate looks like i deleted the email from the outdoor mob that showed it
    Last edited by gsp follower; 06-10-2016 at 07:46 PM.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gsp follower View Post
    after seeing the setup of the beef pad at wakanui exemplary[even tho the craps piped right out to sea]the pictures of the set up in hawkes bay looks like some budget 3rd world built alternative
    its proximity to the tuki tuk and if the pictures are right poorly controled efluent handling make it a eyesore as well as a eco,timebomb
    What is the Hawkes Bay one? The Tukituki is earmarked as the next best sewer it appears. The inability to manage discharge into it already suggests the planned scale of things are well beyond what is even capable of being managed now.
    Very keen to see how the Local Body elections turn out. Should give a insight into how the Bay really feels about our management of late.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Even sheep farms are setup differently now to what they were 20-30 years ago its all "intensive" sheep have to be as big as possible & grow them as fast as they can the grass,crop has to grow so fert go,s on I doubt theres a paddock left down here where there isn't a moledrain they are everywhere flowing into the nearest ditch or creek one only has to walk a few creeks on a rainy day to see how much water flows from the tiles !

mm the pollutions bad but the precedent of them bieng able to reclaim the land water greed has exposed is a bad one.
    one that im pickin will be repeated if this exanple gets known.
    i STILL cant get over the chinese mob were granted rights to part of the rakaia WITH THIER FARM???
    THE SCHEME BELOW THE METHVEN BARRHILL ROAD IS FN HUGE

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    Below the ponding area intake for the irrigation scheme here was a large aread of land behind the flood protection for the ponds on the Waitaki. Its a DOC reserve. Not some mangy bit of crown land. If you look on WAMS that area is a recreational reserve.

DOC let a local farmer develop it and deer fence it. Its still a recreational reserve on paper. Its flood irrigated.

Most of the river verges have been claimed by dairy farmers.

All this for an industry that will never make any money. It just made a bunch of physical changes to he country no one wanted, for no profit.

Woo
    BIT HARSH TUSSOCK ITS PROFITABLE 1 YEAR IN 5 USUALLY.
    IRRIGATION DOUBLES YOUR LAND VALUE[OR TREBLES] ONCE YOU UNDERSTAND THAT EVERYTHING BECOMES MUCH CLEARER.

IF WE WERE TALKING ABOUT IRRIGATION ON A DEFINITE NEED [NOT GREED]BASIS LIKE SAY AREAS OF NTH CATERBURY OR PARTS OF HAWKES BAY ID BE MUCH MORE SYPATHETICLE 1 YEAR IN 5 USUALLY.
    YEP BUT LANDS LIKE A LICENCE TO PRINT MONEY AND ONCE YOU,VE GOT IT OR THE RIGHTS TO IT
    . ITS FUCKIN HARD TO HAVE IT TAKEN OFF YOU IN THIS DAY AND AGE NO MATTER HOW IRRESPONCIBLE OR NEGLIGENT YOU ARE.
    LOOK AT SOME OF THE HIGH COUNTRY TENURE STOUCHES AS AN EXAMPLE OF SOME OF THE HASSLE AND THAT WAS ONLY LEASE LAND.
    Last edited by gsp follower; 07-10-2016 at 03:26 PM.