Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: When are the NZ game bird seasons on Sth island?

When are the NZ game bird seasons on Sth island?

I'll be over NZ in May next year it looks like, though there is a bit of planning left to do seeing as I'm so slack. Anyways, wondering when the bird seasons are? I'd love to have a few shots for some game birds and I don't know your species but if there was something nice might even get em taxi'd
    I wouldnt have a shotgun, happy to buy shells but would need to borrow a gun if anyone had one spare.

My first preference would be definitely pheasants but I'd love to smack a few mallards or Canadians (keep your head down Dougie) if that wasn't possible.

If there are any mad keen bird hunters here I'd be happy to do a little hunt swap and take you out chasing our ducks in Aus sometime.

Cheers,

BH

Just for anyone interested, where I shoot we get mainly Grey Teal, Pacific Black duck, Australian wood duck, Mountain duck, with the odd pink ear, blue winged shoveler, chestnut teal and my favourite Hardhead, the fighter pilots of the sky.

It starts the first weekend in May and the length of the season depends on the area.

Have a squizz at this. I don't often miss a night all season. But last season missed three as had two nights in the bush and one night butchering deer. If you happen to be in my area I could take you out I have a spare shotty.

Fish & Game New Zealand | Fish & Game NZ
    Toby likes this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

I'm in the North Island so you will have to put up with those Southerners I'm sure they will help.
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

I'm very time poor ( Christchurch rebuild ) . But happy to help , decoys ,under and over shottie (gun licence pending), depending on lake level a maimai . To far out to commit to taking you out yet .
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Keep in touch mate i should be able to help out with water fowl hunting. There might be room on opening if your here then.
    Nathan F likes this.

Thanks lads, Ill stay in touch. so when is the pheasant season on the south island?

I'm in the south now mate so can no doubt take you out, guns are not an issue. We did quite well on the pond we shot this year. As for pheasants, well we have them running rampant on the farm up in the north island, and the season is May through to august of the top of my head, it's a bit different in the south tho, not sure on regulations. Canada's aren't a game bird so are fair chase anytime of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavarian_Hunter View Post
    Thanks lads, Ill stay in touch. so when is the pheasant season on the south island?
    Canterbury only has one weekend for roosters , but I can not confirm or deny when ( don't no) . South Island not known for its pheasant
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

If you want to shoot mallards get in touch closer to the time. Can take you to one of our ponds. Have a spare beretta.
    Munsey and username like this.

Nth canty F&Ghas a two day season on pheasants.sth of the rakaia bridge i think regs are different.
    GSPfollower willbe the man to ask -hes into em like a lab at the butchers shop!
    BH all going well etcetc ,may be able to get you on some canadas /feral geese.

CFD

Ejected
    I am happy to take you out if you pm me. Shooting season for parries and geese starts in Feb. I am in Canterbury and shoot on lake ellesmere. To answer the species question we have grey teal but you aren't allowed to shoot them. We have the Pacific black duck but it's interbred with mallards in most places. We have the shoveler duck and despite the low limits we shoot them most times we go out. We shot a lot of paradise ducks which I believe have a relative in oz and geese. We also shoot black swans if you want to take a dead bird pic to shock your mates back home.

Cheers for the offer MA, I forgot that you guys got to shoot swans. What's the season on them?

Quote Originally Posted by Bavarian_Hunter View Post
    Cheers for the offer MA, I forgot that you guys got to shoot swans. What's the season on them?
    Countdown to 3. Mai 2014 06:30 in Wellington
    CFD