Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Micky Duck
  • 2 Post By Gfootey
  • 1 Post By stagstalker
  • 1 Post By mawzer308

Thread: Winchester Super X steel Shot - duck load

Winchester Super X steel Shot - duck load

I just bought a slab of this at what seemed a good price.
    I have since heard some people don’t rate this so cut a shell open to compare against some Kent steel i normally use.
    The results were very interesting. The Kent was very uniform in size and shiny and smooth.
    The Winchester was the opposite and plainly really varied in size and shape - egg shape, oblong and round
    Plus was dull and quite rough.
    Interested in anyone’s opinion on the effect this variation may have on performance.
    Both shells were 2 shot 1 1/8 loads - 3 inch 12 gauge
    One part of me thinks both will be equally effective and kill just fine but who knows!!

..this one has been done to death over the last 10 years.....here is the short version...winchester can make sheels cheap by making shot this way.
    my take on it....having used it for 10 years on and off (if price was right it would be ALL I used)
    one of the biggest critisisyms of steel is that it patterns too tightly....because the pellets are very uniform....if you think about it the welding slag like oddball bits in those shells arent going to go in eggzachary the same direction as all the conformists so you will get a little bit of spread....also some will be going a bit slower or faster than others due to different size n weight so you will get a little bit more of a shot string (good if your lead isnt smack on)
    as to how well it kills....I would rate it up there with any other shell on the market and a lot further up the list than some.
    the load youve got will kill everything from spoonies to bloody great canada geese without fuss......I KNOW as we have done it over n over again. please share where and what price so the rest of us can get some.....LOL.
    tetawa and Woody like this.

Hey appreciate the answer and what you say makes sense. It’s great to get feedback from someone that’s used it ...not just theory!.
    I’m mainly shooting mallards but get a few geese at Te Akau Waikato so great to hear it does the biz.
    Cheers
    Woody and Micky Duck like this.

I got it from Fish City Hamilton but cant remember what i paid as had cash in my pocket

If it patterns well in your gun then happy days, wouldn't worry about the shape. If it doesn't pattern well I wouldn't waste your time and try something else.
    Look at the shape of black cloud pellets, not round at all.

The biggest issue isn't the shot it's the guy that pulls the trigger and his technique or lack of practice before the season ;-) Get out and do some eye openers prior to May 4th
    My weakness is passing shots I never give enough lead, some expert mentioned that's its because of all the centre fire hunting I do who knows? I have one of those dead ringers on my Benelli now seems to have improved my shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Bonecrusher View Post
    The biggest issue isn't the shot it's the guy that pulls the trigger and his technique or lack of practice before the season ;-) Get out and do some eye openers prior to May 4th
    My weakness is passing shots I never give enough lead, some expert mentioned that's its because of all the centre fire hunting I do who knows? I have one of those dead ringers on my Benelli now seems to have improved my shooting
    I don't know so much about steel, but years ago on the Easter bunny hunt in alex, most of us got package deals of lead shot. Buy in bulk
    Been using this brand of ammo for duck and bunnies for quite a few years and been happy with it
    but strangely enough once we had all finished for the weekend and we all having a beer there was quite a few of us that basically agreed our ammo wasn't hitting as hard as previous years. Bunnies were getting wounded and finding their way down holes or into scrub, especially so if you had a quick fire burst on a few and it was hard to remember what you had shot at. Just not anchoring them the way it used to.
    One that was commonly noted was knowing you had a stationary rabbit not a stupid distance away being completely surrounded by pellets-easy to see on the dry hill sides or river banks- and not at incapacitated as they should be. Sometimes nowhere near it.
    Enough experienced shooters amongst us to notice something was different.
    So much so we didn't want that brand next year

What will be more important is how well it patterns in your shotty. If it spits out a good pattern with no bird sized holes then no worries the rest is up to you shooting.
    Micky Duck likes this.

It's good ammunition mate, provided it patterns well should be no issues. Have used it to good effect on everything from spoonies up to swans and geese.
    Micky Duck likes this.