Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Am I silly in wanting a telescopic fishing rod for trout?

Am I silly in wanting a telescopic fishing rod for trout?

A mate uses a telescopic rod and occasionally catches trout with shiny spinners (All legal and licensed)

He bought a cheap one off save barn.

I've seen some Shimano for reasonable prices.

Has any used one for trout? or used one in general?

Cheers

MB
    Generally, I'd advise against telescopic rods, but for trout fishing, I think you can get away with it. They are more convenient than multi-section rods as they can be left rigged when tramping. Spend a little more money and get something half decent.

This looks like it would suit your needs: https://www.marine-deals.co.nz/shima...-6ft-9in-2-4kg
    300CALMAN likes this.

They work at a pinch but get a Shimano not a stinky junk barn one!

https://www.marine-deals.co.nz/shima...-rod-6-6-3-4kg

Banned
    Finally there are four piece 8' spinning rods available at reasonable prices. If you have ever played a fish on a flyrod you will know what a big advantage a bit of extra length is over a 6'6" spinning rod.
    I have had an 8' 4pc Dragon for years, but this year the likes of Shimano have them. Thats the way I would go, 4pc and a good tube. You will out fish your mate and have a good rod that lasts a lifetime

Ned
    Cost a little bit more, but can use as a flyrod as well. Packs down really small but you'd want to get a bit of tubing to protect it in a pack.
    I got one as a backup rod to take back country. Pretty stiff action so takes a bit of adjustment using 5wt line but definitely passable as a backup flyrod. Haven't tried spinning with it yet but it'll work.
    No instructions really but there is a plastic plug you need to lever out so you can switch the butt section round to between fly reel or spinning reel set up.
    https://www.marine-deals.co.nz/kilwe...-4-5-3-15g-8pc

Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    A mate uses a telescopic rod and occasionally catches trout with shiny spinners (All legal and licensed)

He bought a cheap one off save barn.

I've seen some Shimano for reasonable prices.

Has any used one for trout? or used one in general?

Cheers
    Yes your silly, I have a nice 4 piece as well, just as bad, sits in it tube, in the shed looking nice. I also own one of those rods without rings, line feeds up the centre of the rod, another stupid investment of funds?!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

I have a really nice graphite one I got from H&F a couple of years back. Of course it's not on a par with my 5 piece Shakespeare fly rod for intentional back country fishing trips, but for slipping into a backpack on a hunting or tramping trip and lobbing a bubble & fly into a tight wee stream it is awesome.

If you go down the 4 piece way, get a carrying tube. So far this year I've found two separate rod ends. Strangly both blue. Both in remote areas. Nth Is.

Gone but not forgotten
    I have a little Shimano telescopic spin rod. It works well, and I have used it a lot softbaiting snapper in the Firth of Thames from the jetski.
    Last edited by Cigar; 27-01-2022 at 11:43 AM.
    Micky Duck and MB like this.

yip go for it...having it in the wagon will mean you use it more often.... Ive had two over the years,one now lives in our camper,the other I found in mud in lake opuha,sadly neglected,rings rusted away and reel poked...I bought rod back to life,redid the eyes and fitted decent reel to it,caught a hell of a lot of trout on it until some low life saw it in our dingy one night and decided they needed it more than I did....burgendy red with cotton bindings if you see it.....
    yes they give up a little in action to a fixed rod BUT if you happen to hook a big eel,you can collapse the rod right down so no bendy bits to snap and winch it in for release...its also great to be able to shorten it up before putting boat into ramp etc,one less thing to get tangled up in.

Cheers. I will have to do some research and try it out!
    Micky Duck likes this.

I got one of these for a trip to Aussie as I wanted to take my softbait gear.

Wasn’t expecting much for the price, but when it arrived I was amazed by the quality.
    It is as good as my team daiwa redback, proper im7 graphite blank and great quality guides and reel seat.

Would highly recommend.

NZ$ 54.68 50% Off | Goture Xceed Spinning Casting Carbon Fishing Rod 3.0M 2.7M 2.4M 2.1M 1.98M Light 4 Sections Travel Rods with Portable Bag
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_mqyZVag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    rupert and Moa Hunter like this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

A telescopic rod isn't going to be as good as a multi piece one, you just can't make them. They'll work fine and you can definitely get some pretty good ones nowadays.

If you want a good rod that packs down small for dedicated fishing trips I'd still get a 4 piece with tube, they're better rods and the tube makes transport hassle free. If you want something to leave set up for occasionally using on hunting/tramping/4wding missions a tele is the go.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

On a recent chocolate hunt to the warehouse with the other half, I saw they were selling the little shakespere ugli-stik's it was about 2 ft long and really light, felt pretty stout. Never used one but they were on clearance for 20 bucks or something like that. Would easily handle a decent trout, maybe not the one that got away though. She got her quality street eventually too.

I got a nice 4 piece carbon trout rod a while back from eBay for not expensive, and it's now in my collection of trout gear. Good piece of kit. This seller seems to do a lot of trout gear https://www.ebay.com/str/maxcatchangler

But I often see a fishy looking spot, in my travels and I haven't brought any gear, for the fishing thereof.

35 years ago when I first went to Japan, I picked up a 9 foot telescopic rod, made of dubious plastic-something with plastic rings and reel mount. I kept it in the boot of my car with a simple eggbeater reel and it did service on everything, from sprats on the wharf, to my best on that rod, a 3Kg Kahawai at Flat Rock, when I was trying for bait fish. It got broken a few years ago.

So I've just ordered a couple of these

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234381269852?var=533956305102

A tip - when I see something I like the look of on eBay, I then do a further search, for the same item and find up to a hundred sellers, selling the same thing, some quite cheap and free shipping.

I reckon a big factory, sells to the local wholesale market, they all put their own brands on , and on sell, some very cheap, some very expensive. True market.

The down sides are that with eBay orders, delivery is often 8 weeks, but sometimes 2 weeks. If they've got a feedback rating of upwards of 95% they're usually OK.
    rupert likes this.